Any help on what type of avocado these are will be much appreciated. The trees have quite large leaves, the fruit is medium size, slightly elongated, slightly rough skin texture and grow in small clusters much more than individual fruits.

Two photos of that type and one of the larger, rounder, smoother skinned type for comparison.

Thank you

Avo 1 re.jpg

Avo2 Re.jpg

Avo 3 re.jpg

Look like standard Thai avocados.... forgot the technical name.

As somebody on here warned me... the spend too long being unripe, and then go bad very quickly. I went back to the smaller, Western variety. 

6 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Look like standard Thai avocados.... forgot the technical name.

As somebody on here warned me... the spend too long being unripe, and then go bad very quickly. I went back to the smaller, Western variety. 

there are two different types shown, I am more interested in the smaller, less round variety as I prefer the flavour

First kind looks like Booth 7 or 8

Second is Buccaneer.

Both fairly good tasting if allowed to ripen properly.

Disclaimer, Thailand is full of ungrafted seedlings, the first set could just be someone’s unique seedling. Each one will grow slightly different than the mother tree.

thank you very much, I have read your posts with interest

3 hours ago, soidog2 said:

First kind looks like Booth 7 or 8

Second is Buccaneer.

Both fairly good tasting if allowed to ripen properly.

Disclaimer, Thailand is full of ungrafted seedlings, the first set could just be someone’s unique seedling. Each one will grow slightly different than the mother tree.

thank you very much, I have read your posts with interest often over the years. first set is a grafted ????

On 6/30/2019 at 10:16 PM, mikejphuket said:

there are two different types shown, I am more interested in the smaller, less round variety as I prefer the flavour

i assume you planted these.   How many years ago?   How tall are they now?  How many years before they had fruit ?   

Many questions because the ones we planted were small/grafted  and after 3 years not large at all !  Good soil here in N thailand where our mango and lomyai trees grow very well.   Avocados (we have also planted a few from seed)  are slowwww  to grow.   

Hope soidog will give some advice  ????      we do not give fertilizer (just a bit of cow manure) What fertilizer would be helpful ?   Our 3 year old mango trees have fruit this year and 1559087395753.thumb.jpg.baf00e3ee962ab9cfae0a3647ccd2dd9.jpgare more than 2 meters tall.   But not the avocados !20190702_110709.thumb.jpg.0a41fd3575d4f7569df945eee5af33d9.jpg20190702_110713.thumb.jpg.98380a448bf4fec20b87777e2f3b37db.jpg

rumak

Avocado seedlings, not grafted, generally speaking, will flower and fruit after about 10 years.

Grafted avocado seedlings, in ideal conditions, will flower and fruit in as fast as three/ four years, Most will bear fruit regularly after five or six years.

Avocado trees need similar care to citrus.

In my experience the trees will prosper in partial shade rather then exposed to the afternoon sun.

If your grafted trees are healthy but very slow growing, the only option you have is to increase feeding and provide some afternoon shade. If possible.

Stay away from chemicals especially with young trees. 

TPI makes a complete line of organic fertilizers including sprays and Humic acid for soil.

https://www.tpipolene.co.th/en/bioorganics/plant/item/384-gro

Follow instructions including spraying once a week. It works.

Most professionals will recommend you do a soil test first to identify deficiencies. 

Best regards

18 hours ago, soidog2 said:

rumak

Avocado seedlings, not grafted, generally speaking, will flower and fruit after about 10 years.

Grafted avocado seedlings, in ideal conditions, will flower and fruit in as fast as three/ four years, Most will bear fruit regularly after five or six years.

Avocado trees need similar care to citrus.

In my experience the trees will prosper in partial shade rather then exposed to the afternoon sun.

If your grafted trees are healthy but very slow growing, the only option you have is to increase feeding and provide some afternoon shade. If possible.

Stay away from chemicals especially with young trees. 

TPI makes a complete line of organic fertilizers including sprays and Humic acid for soil.

Most professionals will recommend you do a soil test first to identify deficiencies. 

Best regards

great info and link thanks.

Gwynt

On 7/2/2019 at 1:15 PM, soidog2 said:

Best regards

Thanks soidog !   just got back to this forum and saw your post.  Took a photo of the organic fertilizer and will see if its carried around here.   GF hates to spend money  haha  but think we need help to get these avocados growing.   Seems like can be used on most fruits ...... so maybe our mangos might like ??

Soil is great around here ( rural Lamphun)  for mangos and lomyai,   Lots of avocados grown but seem to be more in the mtns

Archived