Airline won’t accept US Credit Card

DJ54

Booked a flight for. Y wife to return from DMK to Udon Thani. Reply said they’d email reservation once 

the credit card / debit card was approved by the bank. 5 hours later called inquired status. Advised 

the flight was for wife different last name but I paid.

Ummm is yiur card from the US? We don’t accept on line.. OK how can I pay ? And will you ho,d ticket... no you’ll have to rebook. Go to 7/11 and pay or use this website and you can book by US care.. uhhh No and No..

first time thats ever happened on a 1.5 million miles of flying without being ro,d up front. ... some places

had to pay cash but out in the nowhere of China.

And to top it off the booking timed out twice and then the third... happy jhappy... anyway. Strange..

when she said it i it I was like what? Uhhh what is yiu say...  but I’ve weakened as I’m getting in a almost 

older bracket now.. No F... word..l only Fhank you...

What a strange post. You bought a flight but used the wrong name?

How is that the company's fault?

And who's fault is it when you'r e not able to type in all details in a certain time frame?

It's very easy to pay at 7 Eleven, then get back to them with the code. No F word for me now, please. 

54 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

And who's fault is it when you'r e not able to type in all details in a certain time frame?

It's very easy to pay at 7 Eleven, then get back to them with the code. No F word for me now, please. 

Was it AA??? I’ve given up with their on line booking. 

Also so I was under the impression the name of the passenger had to match that of the card used for booking

I'm a bit puzzled by the post, too.

But there have long been some airlines and other websites which block US-issued cards from time to time.

Further, some sites block cards which don't support two-factor authentication, like Verified by Visa, and many US banks don't support two-factor authentication.

8 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

I think you should read posts a couple of times prior to trying to be clever.

The OP said "different" name. He booked a flight for his wife but she has a different surname. Not the wrong name.

"Timed out". Meaning that the website timed out. Likely to lots of web traffic or just so damned slow as the AA site usually is.

To the OP, there are many airlines that will insist on a card from the country from where you are making the booking. I have had this experience a few times.

The problem here is that the OP was trying to buy a ticket online using a credit card that was not in the same name as the passenger. I find it entirely normal that such a payment should be refused, especially for shuttle trips within Thailand. Far too much scope for fraud using a stolen card number.

11 hours ago, taxout said:

I'm a bit puzzled by the post, too.

But there have long been some airlines and other websites which block US-issued cards from time to time.

Further, some sites block cards which don't support two-factor authentication, like Verified by Visa, and many US banks don't support two-factor authentication.

Some websites will block credit cards that are used in countries other than their origin (for 3rd parties / services), or delivery to countries other than their origin.  Many airlines will allow you to book for third parties, usually have a checkbox on the website saying that it is.  Did you have a checkbox?   In some cases they might ask for extra documentation - such as a copy of the passport for the holder of the credit card (or presenting the card by the owner at the airport)...  What I am surprised of is that it was not at purchase time (i.e. bank rejection).

As well, there's often a third-party card gateway in the middle which applies its own anti-fraud algorithms. So your card may be rejected by the gateway before the charge is even presented to your bank. This is why you'll sometimes have a charge rejected but your bank tells you they were never asked to approve it.

Archived