Thai authorities moot compulsory travel insurance for travellers

webfact

Thai authorities moot compulsory travel insurance for travellers

By The Thaiger

Travellers-Thailand-Insurance.jpg

PHOTO: South East Asia Backpacker Magazine

The Thai Office of the Insurance Commission says they expect to introduce compulsory travel insurance for visitors to Thailand by the end of 2019.

The basic compulsory travel insurance will offer up to 1 million baht of coverage in cases of death, with a maximum duration of 30 days, the cost is reported to be as low as 20 baht. Tourists will be expected to pay it as they arrive in Thailand without proof of adequate current travel insurance arrangements.

The Bangkok Post reports that the premium would be directed to Thailand’s Tourism Promotion Fund for coverage of payments in the event of claims.

The new insurance scheme will need to be considered by the Ministry of Sports and Tourism before being considered by the new cabinet.

The Tourism and Sports Ministry, despite admitting that the April and May tourism numbers have dropped year-on-year, especially the Chinese, still predict the number of foreign visitors will reach 40 million this year.

Source: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/thai-authorities-moot-compulsory-travel-insurance-for-travellers

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-07-01

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

The basic compulsory travel insurance will offer up to 1 million baht of coverage in cases of death, with a maximum duration of 30 days, the cost is reported to be as low as 20 baht.

I really don't see how any insurance is going to work, which will provide adequate cover for the activities tourists get up to for 20 Baht, unless that is the daily rate, and even then its stupidly cheap.

4 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I really don't see how any insurance is going to work, which will provide adequate cover for the activities tourists get up to for 20 Baht, unless that is the daily rate, and even then its stupidly cheap.

From what they say the maximum payout 1 million baht is for death only. From that we can assume the medical care cover is very, very low (too low to be adequate).

If anything this may make matters worse by discouraging people from getting their own travel insurance.

"the cost is reported to be as low as 20 baht."

The operative word here is "as". Obviously there is a variable involved and 20 baht is the cheapest (1 day?)

"Tourists will be expected to pay it as they arrive in Thailand without proof of adequate current travel insurance arrangements."

How are they going to check? More delays? Show your policy? In what language?

I applaud this and anyone who travels should have at least basic travel insurance.

How it's implemented is another matter. The easiest way would be add it to the cost of the airline ticket in the same way the old departure tax is now however this being Thailand, I'm sure they will find some way to make the process onerous.

38 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

I supposed they are banking on some tourists surviving unscathed to pay for the ones that don't at 20bt????

I'd think that the %'age of tourists that need medical treatment whilst on holiday ( 2 to 3 weeks average stay) is very small, out of 30'ish million per annum? And many of the ones that do would be for non life-threatening/not ruinously expensive things. Also lots of people get travel insurance anyway.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The basic compulsory travel insurance will offer up to 1 million baht of coverage in cases of death, with a maximum duration of 30 days, the cost is reported to be as low as 20 baht.

Probably to cover the 5000 THB expenses they had with the deceased Russian

Ain't Thai to accept expenses. Profit only naaa

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourists will be expected to pay it as they arrive in Thailand without proof of adequate current travel insurance arrangements.

I can see a queue forming of those who will claim that their credit card includes free travel insurance

Travel insurance should be a necessity and should be bought prior to leaving your homeland. No one should be forced to pay when entering a country. But, as everyone keeps saying, they make the rules ????

25 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I can see a queue forming of those who will claim that their credit card includes free travel insurance

Well i hope they start this for the ones who were often in the news last years for being uninsured...for some reason they all speak the same language and also seem to drink lots and lots of tea....

44 minutes ago, HeyHeyHey said:

Great, now before you scan your 12 fingers, pay for the insurance, and wait the line for a taxi trying to scam you the first day of your holiday is gone ????

The last time I spent so much of my time standing in lines like Thailand today was when I visited East Berlin in the 1980s.

Many a wise person has said on this forum that insurers always find a way not to pay. 

I have had little to complain about medical services in Thailand.  Looked at getting an insurance policy here during junta mania, but the agents said there was no guarantee of entry into the country.  That sort of made it rather pointless.  Found Malaysia to be a suitable alternative.

up to 1 million baht of coverage in case of death !?!?

And how much in case of injury ?,... and how many injuries are insured ?

Are you still covered if you have a other injury a few days/weeks later ???

Haha. Go ahead Thailand and impose on all visitors what no other country in the region imposes (to my knowledge). Just make sure it applies to everyone, including all the land-crossing Parma, Lao and Cambo (often illegal) workers (which I'm sure are a part of the problem); and is imposed on all your own stateless residents (if they are not "Thai" for hospital purposes), and all the Rohynga just passing through.

Just remember that accepting the premium from an insured imposes a duty on the insurer.

What's the real problem? - we'll never know: Did China not pay for the hospital's costs of processing some 49 boat accident bodies? Are illegal workers popping into hospitals with their industrial accidents, or to have their baby? Are their own stateless residents getting sick?

Because we don't know the true nature and extent of the alleged problem, and how this B20 fix is supposed cure it, the cynical will just assume it's a money grab, a new "river of gold" for privileged hands to get a hold of, to set up new administrative offices employing their cousins, nephews and mia-nois - all on full salary, perks and pensions - and after siphoning off some as needed, before finally making a modest payment to the hospital system. Bravo!

Sad to see an aimless government issue loopy press releases just to gauge the response and be told by observers and commentators what's good, pointless and dangerous in their ideas, before going back to the drawing board, have a few more meetings, and then rinse and repeat.

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Especially now that they'll think they're 'covered'.

A good idea, but in practise, and what about making a claim?! No chance... Pay first for tratment and forget about getting a refund. T.I.T

Health care is not that good in most state run hospitals. I'm sure the propossed Thai health insurance would not cover treatment in a private hospital?

If Thai state schools cannot provide health insurance to non Thai teachers, as Thai schools are supposed to, how would such a Thai health care insurance work for tourists? 

A good idea, but in practise? What about making a claim? No chance! Pay first for tratment and forget about getting a refund. T.I.T

Health care is not that good in most state run hospitals. I'm sure the propossed Thai health insurance would not cover treatment in a private hospital?

If Thai state schools cannot provide health insurance to non Thai teachers, as Thai schools are supposed to, how would such a Thai health care insurance work for tourists? 

Archived