Questions about Vietnam: Tourist Police? Labour Courts?

I've been ripped off in outrageous ways. Some language centers perfected the art of scamming foreigners.

Often, they end up taking money off the hapless victims instead of paying a salary.

- Is there a Tourist Police? (Couldn't find one)

- calling 113 in a non-emergency seems wrong.

-would you even call the Police if you have been scammed big time? (there are 8 other, previous, foreign victime in the last 7 months)?

LAbour Courts: they don't have those, do they?

Care you share your experience?

Thailand is mightily attractive versus this harsh environment in Vietnam.

Your post makes little or no sense.

You have explained nothing as regards your predicament, it seems like a nonsensical rant regarding a language school?.

Hapless victims? Salaries?

I think you need to reread your post and put it up again in clearer English that we can all understand.

I was stolen from, scammed, and lied to in Vietnam more than any other country I worked or lived in. Enjoy the coffee and the beaches and leave. That country will not lead to anything in terms of success for a foreigner.

Chuck is definitely your man:

If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you. If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.

Chuck Norris has counted to infinity. Twice.

Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting implies the probability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.

Chuck Norris doesn’t wash his clothes, he disembowels them.

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I think you need to reread your post and put it up again in clearer English that we can all understand.

Hilarious!.... He worked at a language school and you expect him to put it in clear English?

33 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Hilarious!.... He worked at a language school and you expect him to put it in clear English?

Of course I do,

He has gone on an English speaking forum. Even if he is not a native English speaker, the post needs to make some sort of sense to readers, as regards to understanding his grudge.

Was he an English speaker./ teacher teaching English in a Vietnamese language school or was he there as a foreigner learning Vietnamese?

One minute he is saying they are relieving him of cash as a ' hapless victim '  and the next, he is saying they are not paying a salary?

The post is very unclear and it is confusing as to what he is actually complaining about.

4 hours ago, Aspaltso said:

I was stolen from, scammed, and lied to in Vietnam more than any other country I worked or lived in. Enjoy the coffee and the beaches and leave. That country will not lead to anything in terms of success for a foreigner.

Several of my co workers that are engineers have returned to Vietnam for visits and were very bitter about the way they were treated.  They told stories starting with immigration at the airport literally ignoring them for inbound processing until bribes and tips were paid.  One lady, I work with was born in Vietnam, spent time in a refugee camp before making it to the USA.  After her last Vietnam vacation trip she said no more, and has since gone to Thailand twice with her family.  One of the poker dealers I know here that is Vietnamese just came back and he told how he was followed and knocked off his motorbike and robbed.  He said there are many "gangs" that target and follow visitors, because they know they have money.   While not uncommon in any country to prey on tourists, just thought I would relay those stories 

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

Several of my co workers that are engineers have returned to Vietnam for visits and were very bitter about the way they were treated.  They told stories starting with immigration at the airport literally ignoring them for inbound processing until bribes and tips were paid.  One lady, I work with was born in Vietnam, spent time in a refugee camp before making it to the USA.  After her last Vietnam vacation trip she said no more, and has since gone to Thailand twice with her family.  One of the poker dealers I know here that is Vietnamese just came back and he told how he was followed and knocked off his motorbike and robbed.  He said there are many "gangs" that target and follow visitors, because they know they have money.   While not uncommon in any country to prey on tourists, just thought I would relay those stories 

I have been a regular in Hanoi and Halong Bay area and never felt threatened. Streets to me feel a lot safer than Thailand and there certainly isn't the threat of knives and guns that there is in Thailand in the big cities.

Regards the airports, I have had 100% the opposite from immigration. Speedy, courteous and efficient officers and service with a smile, but that was Hanoi. I cannot speak for HCMC.

Just goes to show the different experiences that different travelers have.

When last in vietnam Saigon I was warned on separate occasions not to take my man bag due to motor bike snatch thieves. Never warned even once in Bangkok in 12 years. 

Both Cambodia and vietnam far more dangerous than thailand

17 minutes ago, madmen said:

When last in vietnam Saigon I was warned on separate occasions not to take my man bag due to motor bike snatch thieves. Never warned even once in Bangkok in 12 years. 

Well, we just agree to disagree in our different findings. However, again, we are talking different areas with you referring to HCMC and me , Hanoi.

I am here now, 25 years and I can say it can be very hairy and scary in the likes of Pattaya with young bike gangs of teenage youths armed both with knives and guns, ( often reported in the news) and dangerous as well as high on Yaa Baa, especially up on Sukhumvit Road and around the larger Thai Karaoke places. That was probably one of the reasons I moved to the relative peace of Isaarn. It can be boring, but as I have aged, the pros outweigh the cons.

I have never seen anything like the Pattaya behaviour in Vietnam in the places I have been to. Petty theft is a problem, yes. and that includes bag snatching. A bit of arrogant behaviour and attempts to cheat by taxis and moto taxis, definitely. But, I have never felt that I was in a highly dangerous environment. Mind you, there is police and military all over the place in Hanoi.

It may be more dangerous in HCMC, as it has had far more exposure to western habits and culture. It is also the largest city.

I do agree that there is less or basically no laws in Cambodia as I have had two i phones stolen there, one, actually right in front of me, off my table by a snatch grab of two guys on a moto, whilst I was eating noodles. The other was a room theft.

Cambodia is also going up the list for violent crimes such as muggings, rapes and robberies. This problem is in both Phnom Penn and Siem Reap.

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

Regards the airports, I have had 100% the opposite from immigration. Speedy, courteous and efficient officers and service with a smile, but that was Hanoi. I cannot speak for HCMC.

Just goes to show the different experiences that different travelers have.

Been to both cities, never had a problem. Vietnam just seems to be a little more rough around the edges, so I was probably a little more cautious. I wouldn't be careless in any of these countries. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time anywhere can end up badly very quick.

12 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

But, I have never felt that I was in a highly dangerous environment. Mind you, there is police and military all over the place in Hanoi.

Conversely, you will probably never see a police officer in Saigon. I asked a local about that as it seemed strange to me in such a big city, he said the police in Saigon are too lazy, but they are watching on camera. I told him I hadn't really seen camera's around, he said they are up high. As opposed to say Bangkok where you see cams all over the place.

6 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

They told stories starting with immigration at the airport literally ignoring them for inbound processing until bribes and tips were paid.

Will be leaving for my third holiday there this year tomorrow.

Cheap flights, no VISA, great beaches, cheap beer ........ what's not to like?

on my very first trip to vietnam about 17 years ago i got robbed. been mugged in the usa on more than 1 occasion. i was naive in accepting a ride from a motorbike in hcm. in thailand i have been physically threatened by taxi drivers that refused to turn on the meter. one such driver followed me into a family mart and put his hand in his pocket like he had a weapon but backed off given the staff and cameras. been attacked in thailand and needed stitches.

viet immigration have always been efficient and professional. i hear there is corruption but you dont get shaken down by police on a road or sidewalk. business owners pay to get required registrations or safety inspections done expediently.

I was in HCMC on Jan. 2017 for 10days only because I can't stand all the price haggling.  

If I have to haggle to buy a kilo of tropical fruit, I lost my appetite for the fruit. 

I got into a taxi and the meter spun so fast that my head begun to spin.  

I visited some massage shop and the girls only knew how to say 100usd. 

I like Thailand because of the  30% higher price only.            

8 minutes ago, Johnnyngai said:

I was in HCMC on Jan. 2017 for 10days only because I can't stand all the price haggling.  

If I have to haggle to buy a kilo of tropical fruit, I lost my appetite for the fruit. 

I got into a taxi and the meter spun so fast that my head begun to spin.  

I visited some massage shop and the girls only knew how to say 100usd. 

I like Thailand because of the  30% higher price only.            

go to a supermarket, fixed prices and very reasonable.

taxi meters seem like they go very fast because the there are 23,000 viet dong per 1 usd

i have had 1 or 2 viet massages without any add ons for what 5 usd?   what do you expect at those places?

have been on dates with viet gals that invited me and wouldn't let me pay

17 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

like the majority of English teachers around Asia they have poor language/communication skills yet they get paid to teach. Had one teaching over the internet sitting in our complex meeting room, I couoldn't understand one word he was saying, he just kept laughing after each sentence

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

be careful, the girls are know to be hunting for fresh meat 555

44 minutes ago, Mavideol said:
7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

be careful, the girls are know to be hunting for fresh meat 555

thank you for the heads up. i have purchased chastity underwear for my trip to vietnam

Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 13.42.53.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 4:34 AM, madmen said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Thailand pretty much double the murder rate of Vietnam and Cambodia. 

Archived