Sharing vacancies in the sticks

Greetings from Vietnam. Last night, I tried to get paid for the day (as to why this arrangement has been necessary, I will leave that to your fertile imagination). The lesson and the remuneration were confirmed via Messenger. 

No cancellation.

The boss showed up after the lesson and handed me a slip, charging me for the hotel and - no kidding - 2 meals @ 50,000 VND or $ 2.20 each. (Gracious boss, paying for street food...)

Bottom line: I am supposed to pay him, not the other way aound.

He claims to have a MA in Teaching Methods. Indeed, he has a unique approach:

- 5 year olds, he instructed me to "make them read". Hello! They cannot read!!! 

- putting 8-year olds in an IELTS class (and buying books with such hideous language that you wouldn't read them back to back for 1,000 THB each).

- For a pretty good class of 10 year olds, he selected the K-book (homework: tracing ofletters) 555. The students must think I'm a total moron to use such a "book"! 

Know of any vacancies? Vietnam can suck big time. (Am contemplating whether to call the Police - paying up is not an option, or he will go wild and hell knows what he will do to the next 8 foreigners. The previous 8 haven't been paid and some paid him, no kidding).

UK degree and all... 

Cheers!

On 7/2/2019 at 7:01 AM, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Out of curiosity - why were you expecting him to pay for your hotel and meals? Or was this arranged and agreed on originally?

Well,the draft contract he sent me included the hotel. Other teachers were enjoying the hotel (put were asked to pay towards utilities). A motorcycle was also part of the package.

As to those 2 meals, no way would I expect or demand someone else to pay for my meals! No, he would invite people to go to have a lunch or dinner after a special day.

I've done that and once ordered 8 big pizzas, without turning around and charging the people who ate them. Why not be frank and let every body pay their own bills?!?

Archived