BANGKOK
webfact

The Mall Group become first Thai stores to charge for plastic bags

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The Mall Group become first Thai stores to charge for plastic bags

I really hope it works out, but I have my reservations owing to Thais love of anything plastic.

12 minutes ago, kotsak said:
19 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I really hope it works out, but I have my reservations owing to Thais love of anything plastic.

Such as plastic faces and boobs 😉

Now if they're only one Baht, I can see a queue forming already.

• Haha 1

Not completely true , the French sport and recreational retailer Decathalon have charged the customers for plastic bags for more than a year

Edited by spetersen

Anyone know where I can buy plastic supermarket bags directly? Should cost less than the 1 baht the Mall Group is planning on imposing.

I hope they at least give 10000 plastic straws free to each customer to smooth out the inconvenience. Because single use plastics only mean bags.

Only in this way we learn, in Germany it has been doing so for decades, and it has worked.

Well I know were I will not be shopping.....I like plastic bags....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Well I know were I will not be shopping.....I like plastic bags....
It's a pain at Tesco-Lotus, esp. the two times I wasn't prepared... You get some handle-less, low-quality paper bags you have to carry under your arm. (They look more like oversized paper bags for french bread.) Okay, if you own a car, but just impossible if you don't, and live 10min. away! Since they introduced the 'no plastic bag on the 4th', I shop less often and spend less money there, avoiding shopping there at the beginning of the month altogether. - Why can't they use real quality paper bags like they have in Vietnam? Oh yes, they'd cost them 1 or 2 baht more...

Sent from my SM-J415F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

They will doubtless be giving away some plastic piece of crap with the goods purchased anyway! :crazy:

1 hour ago, 30la said:

Only in this way we learn, in Germany it has been doing so for decades, and it has worked.

Of course.  Retailers reap the benefit of lower costs, governments collect taxes - and the use of plastic bags continues unabated.  It's all BS. P.T. Barnum understood.  Why the masses can't grasp it?  "The is a sucker in every crowd" I guess.