The Mall Group become first Thai stores to charge for plastic bags

webfact

"First group to charge for plastic bags"? -

Errmmmm - - - -

Macro have been doing it for years! - really good re-useable ones for 29 baht - or none at all. 

I have a couple that live in my car and have lasted well.

6 minutes ago, Lenny Jones said:

"First group to charge for plastic bags"? -

Errmmmm - - - -

Macro have been doing it for years! - really good re-useable ones for 29 baht - or none at all. 

I have a couple that live in my car and have lasted well.

Are the Macro bags plastic, cloth, or something else? I've never noticed them on sale before.

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

Are the Macro bags plastic, cloth, or something else? I've never noticed them on sale before.

Big red ones at the check-out points.  The bags themselves are heavy plastic fitted with  woven fibre strap handles that won't pull away.  They also sell a lighter white one - all plastic but don't last.

I did some shopping at GMarket (owned by Mall Group) in Bangkok this morning. It was all song and dance and press/TV as the did the launch for this "environment saving initiative".

I bought 6 items, all were individually wrapped in plastic. The lady in front of me had about 20 items. What makes Mall group think that by giving her 20 plastic bag wrapped items and then denying her the 21st bag to carry them all in is going to help the planet??

This is just greenwashing clap trap.

I also noted that WWF were supporting them (Mall Group) for the initiative. Guess the wildlife is buggered as well then if this is the standards they work to.

What a s+*t world we live in.

11 minutes ago, Bipolar said:

Did my shopping at Emporium today, simply screamed and they brought out the plastic bags at no additional charges. They should start banning enviroment friendly farangs and NGOs in Thailand, go back where they came from and stay there please. This is Asia , we do not want you coming here and imposing you rules and thoughts!

Good post....

You have to start somewhere, And in Thailand really is first baby steps. The changes (except In Africa) have taken place over a 20 year period. In the UK, started with you getting a penny back or a storecard point if you brought your own bags - that helped get the scrooges onboard. You can still have a bag - just you have to pay for it now. But the idea got acceptance and is now moving on to straws, plastic cups etc. It takes time. 

In Africa the change has been sudden and dramatic. 20 years ago you hardly saw a plastic bag. 10 years ago a few. then within a few years they  were everywhere. Convenient, yes. But most African countries have no disposal or recycling facilities, and they ended up everywhere. Hence the dramatic changes to outright bans - the only way to stop the litter. In Kenya you can get a 40,000 dollar fine just for carrying one.

Big problems require big solutions.

Thailand's hesitancy to deal with this risks them loosing face and being seen as backward and stupid. Put a one baht tax on each bag across the board, t will encourage re-use and alternatives will flourish. If you want to buy new bags every time and throw them away, you can, but you pay for the privilege.

Archived