BANGKOK 18 July 2019 07:23
webfact

"Rot Daeng" step up their war with "Grab" in Chiang Mai

"Rot Daeng" step up their war with "Grab" in Chiang Mai

7pm_VID.jpg
Caption: We shall not be moved!

More than 200 Red Song Thaew or "Rot Daeng" drivers attended a meeting in Chiang Mai yesterday to protest against plans to legalize Grab operations in the northern Thai city. 

The meeting at Nakorn Lanna Co Ltd resolved to send a letter of complaint to the Transport Ministry as well as send a personal delegation. 

Some 2,600 taxis, rot daeng and vans in Chiang Mai are furious that Grab are coming in. They say that they have been legally serving the community and paying taxes for decades. They think they provide a great service and that it is sufficient for the city's needs.

Many consumers think otherwise preferring the freedom that Grab offers and enjoying lower charges on some rides.

Earlier reports suggest that many traditional drivers have seen their previous daily takings plummet from a handy 1,200 baht pre-Grab to a measly 300 baht now. 

Source: Sanook

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Grab could however offer Grab Shuttle... They already offer Grab Van and Grab Taxi.

Sure would like to see red sonthaews records for air exhaust pollution...

competition is something Thais don’t do well....it should be a learning experience 

how to compete...13 to 0.....get my drift 

3 hours ago, Chazar said:

But surely if their service is "so great" this would not be happening???

Quite right Chazar. 

If you have a choice, who would ride in the back a rusting, smelly, unairconditioned truck, no matter how ‘cheap’ it purports to be?

3 hours ago, daoyai said:

Grab offers a different type service and should peacefully coexist with rot daeng.  The major drop in income probably has more to do with low season and general drop in Chiang Mai tourism.

Probably as much to do with the new buses , as much as grab

"They think they provide a great service ". I been here in Chiang Mai for 7 years. When going to city, I will tell you 40 % rot daeng drivers are good, the rest are not. Most of the time, I felt frustrated when I wave my hand and they will stop. I will tell them my desired location, and they will declined(take note, no passengers at all). Since then I really enjoying using the Grab drivers whenever I went to the city. Oh, yesterday it's my first time to use the Grab Bike and it's awesome!. I used Grab Bike for 3x yesterday 555

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Sure would like to see red sonthaews records for air exhaust pollution...

like one song thaew with 10 passengers compared to 10 taxis... transporting one person each?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Roda07 said:

"They think they provide a great service ". I been here in Chiang Mai for 7 years. When going to city, I will tell you 40 % rot daeng drivers are good, the rest are not. Most of the time, I felt frustrated when I wave my hand and they will stop. I will tell them my desired location, and they will declined(take note, no passengers at all). Since then I really enjoying using the Grab drivers whenever I went to the city. Oh, yesterday it's my first time to use the Grab Bike and it's awesome!. I used Grab Bike for 3x yesterday 555

Roda07, how much for the rot daeng and for the Grab Bike?