Talk of coup rears its ugly head again

webfact

Talk of coup rears its ugly head again

By The Nation

800_80a9f738de5089e.jpg?v=1562035056

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha arrives at the Government House Tuesday.

The so-called apology on Monday from Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha sparked a new controversy and fears of another coup. 

Though the aim of the apology was to fix the ongoing tussle within Phalang Pracharat Party over political positions, Prayut also hinted that he wanted things to move forward instead of returning to old problems, which could lead to a solution nobody wanted. 

However, Prayut’s reference to this so-called “undesirable solution” was widely interpreted as an impending military coup.

Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, leader of the anti-junta Future Forward Party, wrote on Facebook that the general’s remark worried him. 

“It is 97 days after the election and Thailand is yet to have a government,” the politician wrote. “What’s clear is that we have the same premier – General Prayut – who has just threatened to stage another coup to end the fight for Cabinet seats.” 

Thanathorn said Prayut’s message highlighted how the election led to disorder and disarray among politicians, so coups can be seen as a shortcut to saving the country. 

However, he said, this situation has left the coalition non-functional and unstable, and the reason for this rests solely on the junta-sponsored Constitution. 

While the general is trying to blame the politicians for the ongoing turmoil, Thanathorn said it was actually the former junta leader who is benefiting from the chaos. 

Without a government in place, Prayut can continue enjoying his status as chief of the National Council for Peace and Order and the sweeping powers granted to him by Article 44, he said. 

“The actual problem is Prayut. He should stop blaming politicians and rise above the row between elected politicians,” Thanathorn said. 

Pheu Thai Party’s de facto leader Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan sent out a similar message in a Facebook post on Monday evening, in which she wrote that the pro-junta bloc had failed to reach an agreement on Cabinet portfolios because they cared only about their personal interests.

“And as they cannot cut a deal, the same old PM threatens to seize power again,” the politician wrote.

Source: http://www.nationthailand.com/news/30372105

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-02

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my god, he cannot be serious. This is the PM saying, listen if you don't do what I say, I will just stage another coup.

TIme to apprehend this person and put him to trial. 

After all is said and done, he and he alone is responsible for this mess. Dodgy constitution which isn't even the one that got 'approved' two years back. 

It would be interesting if there was another coup.

First thing Prayut would still want to be boss, but just think about the present army boss, he gonna stage a coup, then sit back and not want to be the boss, no way, it would be an interesting time.

The only viable solution is to call for another election. But !!! A fair and square one this time. And the appointment of the 250 senators should be nullified first.

Yeah, I know, dream on.

Well another coup i imagine would not be welcomed by anybody, and they would need to follow the Burma / North Korea model which quite simply would be catastrophic for Thailand's stability in the medium term, let alone long 

I wonder how a coup would be justified as it is his own party that is causing all the commotion. Frankly the last 5 years have been an utter disgrace, the country simply couldn't survive a repeat 

Just now, porphyry said:

Likely outcome for Thai governance:

a failed government;

coup;

prolonged military regime;

people’s uprising; 

and the most unlikely- a happy ending. 

Unless his party votes him out and picks someone more liked not only by all but by someone at the top

What would happen here, if the Thai people were to behave like the people of Hong Kong, and show some resolve, show disapproval of this incompetent government, and decide it is time for the army to depart the scene? Nobody likes them, nobody approves of them, and they are despised by most. They are harming the economy, utterly devastating tourism (Western tourism, the kind that bring in the money), and have no vision for the future. Get rid of the goons. Another coup? Or would the army finally get the memo?

1 hour ago, webfact said:

However, Prayut’s reference to this so-called “undesirable solution” was widely interpreted as an impending military coup.

Given their love of the word Hub here and the number of takeovers down the years they could quite honestly claim the kingdom is THE hub of the coup d'etat .. 

11 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Well, that will never happen.

Always amazes me how some are naive and have such little knowledge of Thailand politics.

Actually there is a faction within Prayuth's party, consisting of 30 MP's that already threatened to leave the party and coalition if they don't get what they want. That poses quite a problem for Prayuth, as loosing 30 MP's would mean no majority. And he must be pissed considering all the effort the EC has done to get him this majority...…….

38 minutes ago, colinneil said:

It would be interesting if there was another coup.

First thing Prayut would still want to be boss, but just think about the present army boss, he gonna stage a coup, then sit back and not want to be the boss, no way, it would be an interesting time.

I agree and assume you are referring to this mean looking critter General Apirit Kongsompong now the present army boss. He has coups in his genes being the son of a previous military coup leader, General Sunthorn Kongsompong.

Apirat-Kongsompong.jpg

The opposition bloc do have one chance of removing Prayut out through a censure debate. I think they are waiting for the opportune time to have sufficient disgruntled MPs; perhaps after the cabinet formation and the fallout soon after. Under the constitution, only the lower house vote. However the opposition still have to win over some senators. If not, the junta loyal senators can nominate him back as PM. The opposition bloc will lose that once-in-a-year censure opportunity. 

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

The opposition bloc do have one chance of removing Prayut out through a censure debate. I think they are waiting for the opportune time to have sufficient disgruntled MPs; perhaps after the cabinet formation and the fallout soon after. Under the constitution, only the lower house vote. However the opposition still have to win over some senators. If not, the junta loyal senators can nominate him back as PM. The opposition bloc will lose that once-in-a-year censure opportunity. 

Would be nice but I think its wishful thinking. Besides if they name the PM but don't have a majority then what. On the other hand watching him explode if he loses would be worth it. 

Archived