Talk of coup rears its ugly head again

webfact

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

Democracy works when you have checks and balances. Dictatorship works when you don't. 

Thailand isn't a unique and special country/culture. 

I know what you mean, Rkidlad.

But I would say that Dictatorship does NOT work. It is a failure on every front. 

And that is why (of course) Thailand has never had it. That is why we have 'democratic soldiers', who just love democracy and all its values - and eschew anything that even comes within a shadow's breadth of dictatorship.

You really ought to know these things, Rkidlad!

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tends to happen when the green shoots of democracy start to take hold.  Civilian rule is...soooo...unreliable.  However, the Mrs would approve.  Some folk, especially older folk, feel 'safer' with the Army in charge.  

2 hours ago, BobbyL said:

It is a shame that the Thias aren't as passionate about democracy and politics as the Hong Kong citizens.

Perhaps in another generation or so. 

Don't be misinformed the difference is that the elite's feet are being stepped on in HK with regards to extraditions here that is not the case.

5 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I know what you mean, Rkidlad.

But I would say that Dictatorship does NOT work. It is a failure on every front. 

And that is why (of course) Thailand has never had it. That is why we have 'democratic soldiers', who just love democracy and all its values - and eschew anything that even comes within a shadow's breadth of dictatorship.

You really ought to know these things, Rkidlad!

Oh, I meant dictatorship works for the few. Certainly not the many. 

9 minutes ago, connda said:

Tends to happen when the green shoots of democracy start to take hold.  Civilian rule is...soooo...unreliable.  However, the Mrs would approve.  Some folk, especially older folk, feel 'safer' with the Army in charge.  

Yes. And the more 'educated' Thais (the M.A.s, the Ph.D.s) are also often the most virulent and committed supporters of d.. di ...   dinosaurship and most vehemently anti-democratic.

Just two days ago, another Thai Ph.D. (educated in the West) told me how he and all his family support Prayut.

It warms one's heart, doesn't it?! For some reason, the old declaration of 'I'm all right, Jack' comes to mind ...

Fortunately, the selfless, noble and humane Thai Ph.D. 'scholars' are a tiny, tiny minority in the land of Thailand.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

One thing that is not being taken into account here, is that in the past there was always a moral authority who blessed the coups. That situation no longer exists. 

Wrong assumptions, still exists and now even more than before

41 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

agree and calling his bluff would bring near universal disapproval of the military's involvement in politics.

truth is if he cannot form a government he should do the honorable thing and stand down for the good of thailand and it's people.

i'm guessing that won't happen though

Honourable ?????and incumbent>>>>>> oxymoron

2 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Jeez' he does love a decoration does he not .. though does he need a Submarine badge for the full set .. 

IMG_20190702_061345.jpg

There is a meme floating about showing 19 separate badges and awards. Must to have been a good boy scout. 

Lord help the country if he decides to hold a coup. As stated he has this in his DNA, and everyone wants to outdo their father. Given his recent pronouncements he will be even less stable than Prayut. 

3 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Given the frequency with which Thailand has had coups in the past, you have to say the next one is probably overdue already.

No, its not over due, the coup is a 6 year event, held regardless of who is in power, during a coup beaches are cleaned , taxi drivers are reamed, press freedom withdrawn , side walk cafe's are cleaned up , new repressive legislation is introduced and the usual show ground  grandstanding of the coup leaders in clowns costumes,  followed by computer led lighting shows, trumpets and fireworks, all in all a family week not to be missed. PS.  The tank exhibition at city hall is a must to see. 

17 minutes ago, Chang_paarp said:

Lord help the country if he decides to hold a coup. As stated he has this in his DNA, and everyone wants to outdo their father. Given his recent pronouncements he will be even less stable than Prayut. 

Indeed .. But as has been pointed out god knows how many times it seems to be the only way they know of resolving things .. 

4 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

Oh my god, he cannot be serious. This is the PM saying, listen if you don't do what I say, I will just stage another coup.

TIme to apprehend this person and put him to trial. 

After all is said and done, he and he alone is responsible for this mess. Dodgy constitution which isn't even the one that got 'approved' two years back. 

Someone should teach him the definition of temporary ...

a coup against the coup?  unlikely with their hold on the guns etc.

I was thinking the same thing, when I first started reading it I thought good the coup will be against him but nope the rumor is that he’s going to stage another coup potentially. Scary! Well if there’s at least some chaos for a while their so called “strong baht” that they keep manipulating will finally drop to where it’s probably supposed to be and the USD and other currencies might skyrocket as a result of the panicked market. But at the same time I don’t want to see any violence or death as a result hopefully Thai people will protest peacefully this time if it does happen.

Certainly they share something in the stupid haircut contest

I’m not happy about the current government situation either but let’s not go there it ain’t that bad trust me I used to be an expert on North Korea in my old job. We’re a long way from it becoming that bad.

Just now, Mel52 said:

I’m not happy about the current government situation either but let’s not go there it ain’t that bad trust me I used to be an expert on North Korea in my old job. We’re a long way from it becoming that bad.

Many experts in TVF, full of them. More experts on TVF then there are CIA/special forces/ex SWAT/ex SAS members etc then in the bars of Soi 6 Pattaya. ????  Perhaps there should be a special "Experts" forum

Confusing, how can someone stage a coup to keep themselves in power when they are already in power ? That would be somewhat akin to burgling your own apartment ! Very unimpressive to say the least [emoji20]

Probably to prevent being linched because Thai people are angry. We’re already beginning to see some political violence already slowly starting to occur, if violence in the streets escalates who knows what could happen.

4 hours ago, BobBKK said:

a coup against the coup?  unlikely with their hold on the guns etc.

It's been done before so not unheard of. Just check Field Marshall Thanom Kittikachorn. 

4 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

Oh my god, he cannot be serious. This is the PM saying, listen if you don't do what I say, I will just stage another coup.

TIme to apprehend this person and put him to trial. 

After all is said and done, he and he alone is responsible for this mess. Dodgy constitution which isn't even the one that got 'approved' two years back. 

This is ridiculous  they need every Thai on the streets 

Archived