Traditional falang meat cuts

user68677878

Also, I note that Makro (at least our local one in BKK) has pictorial illustrations of the various cuts available. Whilst I'm sure they are mostly decorative they do at least show roughly where on the beast each cut originates.

10 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Which part of the Farang World?

European, British (yes we are special of course) US and Aussie cuts are all different.

I want to be able to buy Pork Loin Roast and decent sized spare ribs- all cuts from our respective countries do those. 

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Also, I note that Makro (at least our local one in BKK) has pictorial illustrations of the various cuts available. Whilst I'm sure they are mostly decorative they do at least show roughly where on the beast each cut originates.

My experience over the years with Makro is they are not butchers but butcherers.

2 minutes ago, porphyry said:

I want to be able to buy Pork Loin Roast and decent sized spare ribs- all cuts from our respective countries do those. 

Try Makro, we get whole pork loins (2 feet long) which will roast well, ribs too but you will have to ask if you want whole racks.

EDIT I see you don't rate Makro.

Yes, my experience too with Makro, ask for whole loins, and the ribs are usually cut down, but you may be able to order them.

In most villages/small towns there will be a local butcher who slaughters early morning for market that day. Try asking the gf/wife to find out and you can order for the next day straight off the animal. Just a suggestion.

56 minutes ago, porphyry said:

, Does anyone know of the whereabouts around KK or Rio-et , if such a thing exists of a butcher where one can buy traditional falang cuts of pork and beef.

There are two Tops Supermarkets in KK and one in Rai Et. These will have western cut meat.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&ei=QzobXc-WCZWLmgeS1of4BQ&q=tops+supermarket+khon+kaen&oq=tops+supermakets+kho&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i22i30.6337.13579..18066...0.0..0.236.2147.13j6j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j35i304i39j0i13j0i13i10j33i10i160.NPRwTtxLWhw

12 minutes ago, SteveK said:

What is the quality of Tops' meat like compared to Makro?

Aussie and USDA. Makro is a wet dream. Saying that I do buy Makro beef steak and make hamburger or mince. If you use imagination you can do ok with the meats from Makro but if you can't use Tops, it will cost you. Other source are the online farang food companies out of SinCity they do ship. A source in isaan which I thank is excellent is http://nookiesdelights.3baht.net

I'd give my left ball for a medium-rare T-bone. There's a steakhouse near Terminal 21 that does them to a world-class standard but eating one might well affect your ability to qualify for your next visa.

Archived