Thai drinker dead after downing a jug of beer at competition

webfact

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

Former Australian PM Bob Hawke held the world record for sculling a yard glass at Oxford uni for many years.

An alcoholic for much of his early life he still had a sharp mind right up to the end.

I did a few pub crawls in the 1980's in Richmond,Melb'ne when there was a pub on every corner.

Dangerous business. Don't recommend it ...LOL.

When I was 18/19 years old in the 1960s we used to go for a pub crawl in the local village which has 13 pubs. Granted we took the evening to do it and felt as sick as a dog the next day but I could do it back then, but certainly not nowadays.

A good greasy fryup breakfast always sorted out the men from the boys.

A few seconds after holding his glass up in triumph, the man lost consciousness and fell forwards onto the floor where he died in front of his horrified co-workers and mates.

"Nobody knows the actual cause of death yet and we didn't know if he had any allergies or medical conditions."

Alcohol doesn't affect you a few seconds after you have a drink. It seems unlikely that the jug of beer was in itself the cause of death.

Previously imbibed spirits, drugs or an unrelated cause could all account for it. Guy might have just had a heart attack.

47 minutes ago, billd766 said:

When I was 18/19 years old in the 1960s we used to go for a pub crawl in the local village which has 13 pubs. Granted we took the evening to do it and felt as sick as a dog the next day but I could do it back then, but certainly not nowadays.

Spot on ! I was just thinking , in Dorking where I lived 'til married I took my son in law round the town for his stag night . 11 pubs down west street then the high street back along south street.  Coming out the last pub The Bull's Head I apparently appologised to the lamp post when I walked in to it.  McDonalds next day for brekky sorted me out. Today a jug of Chang and I am anybodies .

Only 13 pubs? When I was at Nottingham University it was the Campus 14 with a pint to be had in each.

https://nightlife.fandom.com/wiki/Campus_14

In Sydney in the 70's you could start at one end of George street and try to get to the other end

1 beer per pub, not many made it :burp:

Now you are lucky to wet your thirst

The times of all  those pubs are now a distant memory ????

2 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Spot on ! I was just thinking , in Dorking where I lived 'til married I took my son in law round the town for his stag night . 11 pubs down west street then the high street back along south street.  Coming out the last pub The Bull's Head I apparently appologised to the lamp post when I walked in to it.  McDonalds next day for brekky sorted me out. Today a jug of Chang and I am anybodies .

Here you mean? (link)

I was in there only last week ???? 

8 hours ago, Radar501 said:

I bet that most guys reading this article can reminisce about their youth and the yard glass sculling competitions they had at parties.   Right or wrong, drinking your mates under the table is, always has been, and always will be, a badge of honour.

It's called beer group pressure.   Some know when to stop, and others don't.

93286_large.jpg

Been there done that many many years ago when I was young(er) and (more) foolish than I am now.......(?) ????

Along with "I can eat hotter curries than you" type challenges...the things one does in one's twenties, eh?

Of course if one is a Hash House Harrier, one is so much more accustomed to such behaviour....allegedly :whistling: 

6 minutes ago, Myran said:

He hardly died from a pint of beer. Must've hit his head or something when he fell down.

The OP says "A Thai man taking part in a beer drinking competition died after downing a whole jug "

How do you know it was only a pint? Jugs come in many sizes. Typically, but not always "In certain countries, especially New Zealand and Australia, a "jug" refers to a plastic container filled with two pints (just over a litre) of beer." (Link)

Goes on to say

"jug of beer may also refer to a jug containing larger amounts (usually sized in pints), but if a large jug is sold it will be advertised as such in the pub and this helps to reduce confusion."

2 minutes ago, VBF said:

The OP says "A Thai man taking part in a beer drinking competition died after downing a whole jug "

How do you know it was only a pint? Jugs come in many sizes. Typically, but not always "In certain countries, especially New Zealand and Australia, a "jug" refers to a plastic container filled with two pints (just over a litre) of beer." (Link)

Because I wasn't using it in a literal sense... One liter of beer wouldn't have killed him either. 

6 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Just a jug of beer? Amateurs...

germany-oktoberfest-beer-festival-135750

Cor, what a way to go: beer, blondes and bosoms...

Secure in the knowledge that "Best Beloved" does not read Thai Visa!

3 hours ago, guru said:

Only 13 pubs? When I was at Nottingham University it was the Campus 14 with a pint to be had in each.

https://nightlife.fandom.com/wiki/Campus_14

It depends on whose brewery beer you were drinking.

Brickwoods (the Sunshine Ale) was best taken as either the first or last beer. If it was the first, the rest tasted better and by the time you got to the end you had p1ssed it away. If it was left to the end it helped you puke up an d clear the system.

The worst beer I ever drank was while I was in the RAF at El Adem in Libya. That was Cisk canned beer and it was only drunk when we had drunk the bar out of everything else.

In my late teens  we found this fun a bit boring so we progressed with a new game, there was a ruler fixed to the table and in full view of all out you got him placed on the ruler and at the end of the evening somebody won the teddy, nope, i never won anything.

11 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

What is the point of drinking competitions?  What do you win?  A pickled liver?

It's a chinese (and Brittish) tradition.

I've seen chinese in Thailand drinking a bottle of whisky like it was cola...drinking game..

Archived