50 million baht "Sky Walk" to connect Don Mueang airport to the Red Line

webfact

50 million baht "Sky Walk" to connect Don Mueang airport to the Red Line

6pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The chief at Bangkok's Don Mueang airport has revealed plans for a 50 million baht air-conditioned "Sky Walk" that will help connect the airport to the Red Line railway that is still under construction.

Sirot Duangrat said that the connection would be ready by the middle of next year well head of the anticipated start of operations on the Red Line at the beginning of 2021. 

The Red Line will run between Bang Sue and Rangsit and features a huge Don Mueang station complex. 

Sirot explained that the State Railways are responsible for a 200 meter long walkway from the station over the Viphawadee Rangsit Highway up to the airport fence. This will have a "travelator" but will not be air-con. 

The AOT "Sky Walk" will then take over passing by the second floor of the seven story airport car park on its way to the Domestic Terminal. 

This 110 meter section will be air-con but minus the travelator. Bids for its construction are expected this month with completion within 5-6 months hopefully by the middle of next year. 

A new Terminal 3 is also planned for Don Mueang, said Sirot, and this will ultimately be connected to the Sky Walk too.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-03

21 minutes ago, webfact said:

This 110 meter section will be air-con but minus the travelator.

21 minutes ago, webfact said:

plans for a 50 million baht air-conditioned "Sky Walk"

Let's round that off to around B4.5 million per meter for basically a hallway. If I was going to pay that kind of money, I would want to be carried from one end to the other...

Living out in the area there is one huge silly problem. Where the station is does not connect to either Terminal 2 international or the domestic terminal. It is opposite the car park located at the south end of Terminal 2. To get to T1 is going to be a decent walk.  Its really not believable they built it where they did. a kilometer from the Amari airport as well.

40 minutes ago, missoura said:

Let's round that off to around B4.5 million per meter for basically a hallway. If I was going to pay that kind of money, I would want to be carried from one end to the other...

Don't you mean 450,000 baht per meter?

1 hour ago, missoura said:

On a bed supported by celestial virgins  ????

5 hours ago, marin said:

Living out in the area there is one huge silly problem. Where the station is does not connect to either Terminal 2 international or the domestic terminal. It is opposite the car park located at the south end of Terminal 2. To get to T1 is going to be a decent walk.  Its really not believable they built it where they did. a kilometer from the Amari airport as well.

There's a half built overpass connection being built right now that will link from the north end of the station to the south end of T2 via the car park with the walkway that is the subject of this article. The article is really only referring to the section that is the responsibility of the AOT.

The DMK station was built there as is couldn't be built at the existing DM rail station area as there was not enough space. Be prepared for the new HSR station to also be built adjacent to this DMK station!

1 hour ago, mackayae said:

I remember the old sky walk between the international and the domestic. It had to be at least 500 meters and it had aircon but no travelators.

Yes, that was always a long hike! It is still there and once the old domestic is refurbished finally to become T3 then this walkway will be in use again.

Worth remembering that the AOT has a plan to install an APM between all terminals as well that may also eventually provide a future link with the BTS extension on Phahonyothin rd.

6 minutes ago, Lakegeneve said:

Yes, that was always a long hike! It is still there and once the old domestic is refurbished finally to become T3 then this walkway will be in use again.

I believe it is still open. I used it in Jan, Feb, and April but not since. Saves a load of time to cross over and pick up a taxi home at the hotel living where I do.

1 hour ago, marin said:

I believe it is still open. I used it in Jan, Feb, and April but not since. Saves a load of time to cross over and pick up a taxi home at the hotel living where I do.

Wrong 'bridge'. There is one leading to the Amari which you use, and there is another (not used) from what is now the domestic terminal T2 to the old and disused domestic terminal. That terminal will become T3 once they've refurbished it after several years of neglect. Hopefully for the exclusive use of the 50 billion Chinese visitors (or whichever figure TAT come up with next), who will then be banned from cluttering up the other two terminals.

If they are planning to use DMA a long time, they should have build the bts line straight through DMA with a station inside or very adjacent as they built it in most other countries. This is really an example of TIT! As for the railway station there, I really wonder why they not remove it!

16 hours ago, mackayae said:

I remember the old sky walk between the international and the domestic. It had to be at least 500 meters and it had aircon but no travelators.

Exercise is good for you !

Archived