Great hobby tractor..

16 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

The wife and I bought a new B2420 five years ago.  Done about 1039hours.  Was about 500k baht at the time.  The best way to describe it is a really great engine on a junk tractor.  From early on the gearbox would grate engaging a gear, and we complained many times about it to the dealership. The fuel filter got whacked by a branch when slashing and broke off...leaving it dangling, not well positioned. Last year we had to get the seat reupholstered.  For a while the front axle seals have been Rs...have to get them replaced. It's been parked in the carport nearly every night but the paintwork looks 20 years old.  Next year it will be new tyres all-round.....should have bought an Iseki!  

The B range was built down to a price.

They are reknowned as problematic, and not particularly strong.

Their biggest selling point was the extra narrow version for getting in between sugar cane rows. I think this is why they are still for sale possibly.

Funnily enough, the B range were the KR140 replacements.....

The L range (28 hp up to 90hp, inc the really popular 34-38 hp models) are far more robust, and are more like a typical tractor as we know them. They are the ones you see everywhere.

The K range, like mine, well they don't make them anymore.

A unique vehicle, quite unlike any other tractor currently available.

Re, your above post, from 150 to 835 hrs in 6 years, all the servicing has been done by myself. Bunch of grease nipples everywhere - they need greasing.

The gearbox gear engagement problem sounds like something as simple as clutch adjustment or poorly assembled clutch at the factory / PDI.

Nothing is out of synch on ours, nothing has broken, except drive belts caught by broken branches, now with better guards, and as you can see, after 6-7 years under a car port, the paint still looks good.

Although keep a pressure washer away from the front wheels....

Tyres are 80/20 good and are original, after 835 hrs work.

55 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

The B range was built down to a price.

They are reknowned as problematic, and not particularly strong.

Their biggest selling point was the extra narrow version for getting in between sugar cane rows. I think this is why they are still for sale possibly.

Funnily enough, the B range were the KR140 replacements.....

The L range (28 hp up to 90hp, inc the really popular 34-38 hp models) are far more robust, and are more like a typical tractor as we know them. They are the ones you see everywhere.

The K range, like mine, well they don't make them anymore.

A unique vehicle, quite unlike any other tractor currently available.

Re, your above post, from 150 to 835 hrs in 6 years, all the servicing has been done by myself. Bunch of grease nipples everywhere - they need greasing.

The gearbox gear engagement problem sounds like something as simple as clutch adjustment or poorly assembled clutch at the factory / PDI.

Nothing is out of synch on ours, nothing has broken, except drive belts caught by broken branches, now with better guards, and as you can see, after 6-7 years under a car port, the paint still looks good.

Although keep a pressure washer away from the front wheels....

Tyres are 80/20 good and are original, after 835 hrs work.

Had to  laugh when you said clutch adjustment, the dealer service guy has looked at it many times and he says it's OK. The reason why I  didn't do service work in the first 3 years was we bought the tractor with a special service with eveRything included deal and on a 3 year finance deal at one percent interest.  Kubota gave 3 year warranty....which was good as in the second year we needed a new alternator and key barrel assembly.  If I  was buying today I  would go straight to the JD dealership in Phetchabun and order their 40hp narrow model.  Sounds like  your Iittle unit is way better than the B model! 

23 hours ago, Rimmer said:

I would love one of those but my wife says no need, spoil sport she is :biggrin:

Wives don't seem to understand all of a Mans needs.  I am pretty lucky with my girl.  All I want is regular lovin', good food and clean sheets on the bed....which is covered without complaint or compromise.  But I  want one little thing and she gets a bit funny....not 555 funny,  the other not so funny funny!  I said to her I wanted to buy a Royal EnField 650 motorbike.....only 220k baht and  she fires back why can't we put that money towards a new pick-up! Hello!  A new pickup is 1.2 million baht and I cannot get finance here in LOS.   I can pay cash for the bike.  So for the time being the bike is on hold so the foremention balance re: regular lovin', good food and clean sheets doesn't get out of wack.  Thank goodness I never bought up the subject of having a mia noi or the Kee would be flying thick and fast.  Is only an idea to take some of the pressure off her As she is so busy.  ????   

On 10/2/2019 at 10:36 AM, Grumpy John said:

Had to  laugh when you said clutch adjustment, the dealer service guy has looked at it many times and he says it's OK. The reason why I  didn't do service work in the first 3 years was we bought the tractor with a special service with eveRything included deal and on a 3 year finance deal at one percent interest.  Kubota gave 3 year warranty....which was good as in the second year we needed a new alternator and key barrel assembly.  If I  was buying today I  would go straight to the JD dealership in Phetchabun and order their 40hp narrow model.  Sounds like  your Iittle unit is way better than the B model! 

If I remember right a JD 40 hp is a Yanmar tractor  painted green ,badge engineering ,we have a few Yanmar tractors in this area in Thai hands and they seem to keep going ,so they  can not be to bad . 

Above 40 hp ? the JD's are made by JD them self's .

I seem to remember the joint venture between Yanmar and John Deere was ended a few years ago. There are several Yanmar tractors in our village that have performed well now for over five years. They seem to be more solidly built than the L series Kubotas. 

On 10/3/2019 at 8:52 PM, kickstart said:

If I remember right a JD 40 hp is a Yanmar tractor  painted green ,badge engineering ,we have a few Yanmar tractors in this area in Thai hands and they seem to keep going ,so they  can not be to bad . 

Above 40 hp ? the JD's are made by JD them self's .

I think you are right!  Yanmar had a promotion 6 or 7 years ago and sold a lot of tractors around here.  Must be doing OK as they now have a dealership in Sak Lek.  Went shopping in Phitsanulok Friday and went past the big new dealership twice but saw no narrow units.

On 10/4/2019 at 9:22 AM, IsaanAussie said:

I seem to remember the joint venture between Yanmar and John Deere was ended a few years ago. There are several Yanmar tractors in our village that have performed well now for over five years. They seem to be more solidly built than the L series Kubotas. 

John Deere still make some Yanmar  engined tractors .

The 3025E 24hp started manufacturing in 2017 and the , 3032E 31hp made from 2008 are  still going .mainly an American market. 

The 3036E  36hp was/is sold in Thailand made from 2009-2017.

We have had 2 JD dealers in this area one still going ,the other has gone ,about 8 years ,both only had the 50hp plus modals.

Seem to remember a JD dealer near Rangsit . had some smaller JD's . 

The surprising  bit was Yanmar started importing tractors/engines in to  the the USA in 1977 ,the JD 950 31 hp  was made from 1978-89.

There is only one reason Kubota saturated and have total dominance in market share in this country.

Very easy credit with very low initial deposits/downpayments.

No other reason.

It is also the reason you see so many S/H Kubotas on their showroom forecourts - repo snatchbacks...

There is only one reason Kubota saturated and have total dominance in market share in this country.
Very easy credit with very low initial deposits/downpayments.
No other reason.
It is also the reason you see so many S/H Kubotas on their showroom forecourts - repo snatchbacks...
Word. Most likely the same reason why there are so many pick ups here. Cheap as chips and tough. But zero comfort, old engines and actually no use in their field. Because most people go for the lowest version which is a pain for acceleration and also has only 2WD and useless in terrain or muddy roads. No argument to win with those ignorant people. Many of my friends who never go out of Bangkok own a pickup and I had endless discussion of driving such nonsense car in a city. Answers coming up from high sitting position to the most ridiculous answer that a heavy car gives you better handling and more weight on the road is better for potholes etc.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

On 10/7/2019 at 11:03 AM, CLW said:

Word. Most likely the same reason why there are so many pick ups here. Cheap as chips and tough. But zero comfort, old engines and actually no use in their field. Because most people go for the lowest version which is a pain for acceleration and also has only 2WD and useless in terrain or muddy roads. No argument to win with those ignorant people. Many of my friends who never go out of Bangkok own a pickup and I had endless discussion of driving such nonsense car in a city. Answers coming up from high sitting position to the most ridiculous answer that a heavy car gives you better handling and more weight on the road is better for potholes etc.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

"Many of my friends who never go out of Bangkok own a pickup "  Yes they seem to have a strange sense of motoring your friend's!  Lot's of small little <deleted>z boxes with rider mower size engines out there that would do them nicely....and be cheaper to boot!

• 3 weeks later...

Well,  one thing leads to another.  The last couple of months the thrust bearing in the B2420 has been giving a whine when the pedal is pressed.  I go out the other morning to bring it around the  front to fill the airbus and couldn't get the pedal to move!  Kubota service came today had a look and suggested it was a workshop job.....  But they did say they would come and pick it up tomorrow.   I can see this costing me some money.  1039 hours and it's needing a major repair.   Man oh man, why the hell didn't I put my foot down in the Kubota showroom and suggest we look at Iseki and Yanmar before we drop the cash. ????

back when we had a 47... what ever kubota, we were always having small - ish problems after only 100/200 hours of abuse from my right foot.... engine good, running gear was weak and always breaking, even the owner of the shop was in agreement with me after the 3rd/4th low loader pickup/delivery back to our farm, when i asked why the tractor was always having problems, she laughted and said thats how we make the money on these, ie spare parts and labor ect... sold it on before 400/500 hours...having said that parts,labor and transport were always very cheap, plus now when we go into the shop the owners always remember me and the wife and do all they can at cost to help with what every problem i go in with.... (have many small tractor engines ect..)

I bought a  second  hand  Kubota L3408 with 160 hours  on the counter about  12  years  back. It has been used  for  every season  rice crop since including ploughing, and rotary. And initially was used  for contract planting  for others as well. To date I have  had  to replace the front tyres  and  the hydraulic  hoses  for the front blade, and the battery 3  times. It has not had  gentle use for many other  tasks as well.

I have to say I  have been impressed  with  it's  reliability and  capacity for  such a  small unit.

I  havr heard it said  that  later  models  are  not as  robust so maybe I was lucky.

41 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

Just under 5000 baht.  I suppose it could have been worse!  The trust bearing is cactus and the pivot rod bent.  We should have it back Tuesday.1682961617_IMG201911011320111.thumb.jpg.c2cb2af5bb6c89ac0c66bbd0c8ae4616.jpg

IMG20191101132023[1].jpg

IMG20191101132037[1].jpg

IMG20191101132027[1].jpg

Did you make a pto spline pulley for your spray pump or could you buy one.

Decent looking workshop and price pretty good.

While it's apart check the steering coloum for water.

Told ya it was like F1,they hyave lewis's tractor next to it.???? 

On 7/4/2019 at 1:52 AM, wotsdermatter said:

Kubota tractors dealership Viphavadee Rangsit Road, Bang Khen, Lak Si, Bangkok has tractors available and not as EMPTYPOCKETS suggests.  They are not just "...ride on mowers.

'nuf sed.

I never said Kubota tractors were ride on mowers. I DID say the one pictured is not much more than a ride on. The larger Kubota models are great tractors. Please read and try to comprehend before making nonsensical posts.

I stand by my comment that for any serious work you need to look at something in the 45KW/60HP range...and above.

15 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Did you make a pto spline pulley for your spray pump or could you buy one.

Decent looking workshop and price pretty good.

While it's apart check the steering coloum for water.

Told ya it was like F1,they hyave lewis's tractor next to it.???? 

There is a bloke in Sak Lek that sells blanks and then turns the blank to fit the pulley. He has a broaching machine to make or enlarge key ways.   The thing is  a loose fit on the spline so to smooth out the rotation I made a bolt on roller box with rubber rollers mounTed on bearings.   Works a treat.  Kubota workshop has some pretty good looking desk jockeys in the office.   When the missus went to pay the deposit....funny that! Their spares dept is holding over 5 million baht in spares yet they want us to pay 2000 baht deposit!  Anyway,  all those pretty but not smiling faces turned into very nice smiles.....until the missus returned.  I had a bit of a chuckle.  ???? Yep,  the Pattaya and Patong boys who come over for a holiday and never get into the real Thailand would be shocked how many lovely available woman are out there looking for a good bloke.  See,  a Kubota showroom and service centre is not just for tractors and hoes. ????

16 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Just under 5000 baht.  I suppose it could have been worse!  The trust bearing is cactus and the pivot rod bent.  We should have it back Tuesday.1682961617_IMG201911011320111.thumb.jpg.c2cb2af5bb6c89ac0c66bbd0c8ae4616.jpg

IMG20191101132023[1].jpg

IMG20191101132037[1].jpg

IMG20191101132027[1].jpg

Another one in the background split in half...

5k seems very reasonable for a new clutch and the labour.

All just wear 'n' tear consummables.

7 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

some pretty good looking desk jockeys in the office.

I can't get over our local dealer, in a normal market town, the biggest in the province, comfortably bigger than the provincial capital city dealer (her Dad's).

The office worker girls there must number 25 -30 out front at their desks. Total staff is 45.

The truck bought it back last night just on dark.  As they replaced all the front axle seals and used their oil and not the oil I  had left them the bill came to 5627 baht.  The amazing thing is the wife paid!  Apparently she got the rent money for the rice/corn land she rents and the government gave 5000 baht compensation for getting flooded. What ticks me of is the fact I don't find out, a lot of things, till well after the event.   In fact it does more than tick me off.....but the words I would use would get that familiar deleted insert! 

20 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

.......... What ticks me of is the fact I don't find out, a lot of things, till well after the event.   In fact it does more than tick me off.....but the words I would use would get that familiar deleted insert! 

Could not agree more. Always happens, usually when the BIL has yet another "good idea". Amazing how most of his ideas never get past him making a quick quid at my expense. The latest one was a row of eucalyptus trees on the edge of our rice plot. Suddenly just gone (all the foliage is still there). He figured since I hadn't cut them, I didn't want them, therefore he could sell them! Share the proceeds? Maybe next time, spent already! MaiPenRai my backside! It is not the deed, it is the frequency........GGrrrrrrrr

On 11/4/2019 at 8:38 AM, IsaanAussie said:

Could not agree more. Always happens, usually when the BIL has yet another "good idea". Amazing how most of his ideas never get past him making a quick quid at my expense. The latest one was a row of eucalyptus trees on the edge of our rice plot. Suddenly just gone (all the foliage is still there). He figured since I hadn't cut them, I didn't want them, therefore he could sell them! Share the proceeds? Maybe next time, spent already! MaiPenRai my backside! It is not the deed, it is the frequency........GGrrrrrrrr

On 11/4/2019 at 8:38 AM, IsaanAussie said:

Two of my 3 B-in-L beat your B-in-L by a big big margin. Montree the oldest is the shiftiest bar sted out there.  Last time he came for a  visit I was back in Oz for a while and somehow he talked mum into getting him a 150000 baht loan. Mum is 72 and the only income she gets is a pension and 10000 baht a year for a rice block.  I didn't find out about the loan it till a couple of months ago.  Guess who will be paying it back?  Hopefully we have enough extra mango income or it will be yours truly.  Thong, Tiks second brother has finally got the message, so now he goes to Anun the other brother and sponges of him.  But at least he pays some money back!  Then there Is Tiks daughter....devious,  manipulative, and self centred.  She got all Upity when I  suggested if she lost 20 kilos she could get a job in a Pattaya bar.  Yep,  when you marry a Thai girl you marry the whole family by the look of it. ????

Archived