Did you marry a Thai woman – Do you ever regret tying the knot

I don’t get out much preferring to spend my time at home but last night I was invited out to a local bar by some retired expat friends who I had not seen for a while. As the cold Chang flowed we talked about what we would do if we as foreigners were put in charge of Thailand and how we could very quickly put right many of Thailand's apparent woes .

Then I casually ask one of my mates how his Thai wife was. Well that set the stage and tone for the rest of the evening . It soon became apparent that three out of the four mates sat around the table , who all came to Thailand like my self as single expats and eventually met and married a Thai woman , were now no longer enamored with the life of a married expat man in Thailand.

I know this scenario of an unhappy husband can be going on any where but as we all know this is Thailand with its endless titillating distractions and attractive temptations being put in front of us on a regular basis.

The general discontent that my three mates seemed to be having with their married life revolved around issues relating to their Thai wife , her family and the old thorn in the side of money.

The never ending requests to help mama out with a loan or a cousin who needed cash to start a wonderful can’t fail business opportunity or help pay a large deposit so a brother could pay agents who were going to find him a fantastic well paying work in Korea . The requests for money were in one friends words , endless frustrating and annoying. Add to that the fact if the money requests were turned down then the wife’s mood changed and her loving attention dwindled until the money requests were fully met.

All three friends had no hesitation in saying that they all wished they could in some way turn the clock back , back to the time when as single men they first stepped foot on Thai soil and they felt it was like being on top of the world . To a past time when they were never under pressure to keep acting like a family ATM machine . To a happy time when life was one long party and the word responsibility's was just not on their list of things to worry about. To a long past carefree age of one wonderful adventurer after another, and life was simple and good.

Now years later their once ample savings pot has now diminished due to past property and vehicle purchases and money request . Their pension payments now don’t go so far when you have a demanding wife and blood sucking Thai relatives on your back . The initial buzz of being married to a wonderful Thai woman has slowly turned from thinking you had hit the jackpot to being thoroughly discontented .

It looks like my mates once sparkling marriages seem to have turned into a dull routine of discontent and regret that they can only cope with by heading for the nearest bar where they sit and drown their sorrows with cold Chang beers while reminiscing and dreaming about long gone happier times .

After listening to their comments of how unhappy they were I did with a smile say , why don’t you just leave . If life has become what you describe why stay and be miserable , their reply was nearly all the same . I’m too old now to start all over again and one even used the words , out of the frying pan into the fire .

Personally at 70 years old I can relate to my mates comment of being to old to start all over again and jumping ship with the possibility of ending up in a worse situation is just a thought I can’t or don’t want to think about.

So I’m now wondering if there are any other forum members here that are married to a Thai and over time you have also started to yearn for and reminisce about the past and your days as a once single man.

Has being married to a Thai woman turned out like you thought it would be ????

Most problems in marriage in Thailand is that many many foreigners marry a girl from a complet different social network (Background).

Same same in my home country I would marry someone who has a similar background and the same should count for any country, even Thailand, and this in my opinion is the problem for so many!

2 minutes ago, fishtank said:
4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes, and no I don't.

This thread is perfect for a few of ThaiVisa's more vociferous misogynists and racists...

A few?

TV is full of them.

Someones perfectly normal relationship makes for boring reading...  

.... besides, after they've banged their latest acquisition those who moan the most about their Ex's, previous marriages, quoting the over-used line 'rent don't buy' have much more time on their hands to justify their failings... 

Archived