BANGKOK
TallGuyJohninBKK

LA & SF Expats -- Local OTA TV now available online

1 minute ago, Pib said:

Yea...the number of locast channels in the Houston area is on the low side.  I plan to use Houston as the fixed location in Location Guard for other reasons/websites in order to match-up with a certain address I have in Houston in case those websites try to check my actual geolocation even with a Houston VPN connection....and for some reason Chrome does not ask me whether I want to allow or block the website from accessing my browser geolocation.

One thing you can do, Pib, depending on your particular needs, is use different browsers for different purposes.... For example, you could continue using your regular browser (let's say Chrome) with one Location Guard setting for general purposes. And then you could use Firefox with a different Location Guard setting (say LA or SF) just for Locast purposes, etc etc.  I believe Opera also can run a version of Location Guard as well, giving you at least a 3rd browser/location option.  All of which can co-exist together, because each location setting is only applicable within that particular browser and extension.

6 minutes ago, Pib said:

I plan to use Houston as the fixed location in Location Guard for other reasons/websites in order to match-up with a certain address I have in Houston in case those websites try to check my actual geolocation even with a Houston VPN connection.

From what I've gathered along the way, there are at least 4 different routes any particular site can try to determine the location of its site visitors:

1. IP address, which can be dealt with via VPN.

2. Browser geolocation, which can be dealt with by extensions like Location Guard

3. WebRTC protocol leaks, which can be prevented by turning off WebRTC functionality in the browser manually or using an extension to block it.

4. Looking at the time zone setting of the accessing computer. I do and have dealt with all of the issues and solutions in items 1 - 3 above...  But only in the most extreme situations, will I change the time zone setting on my PC temporarily for some reason. And the time zone setting has never cropped up as an issue in any streaming service that I've ever encountered.

In the broader world of streaming video, probably the most common method used by content providers is to simply assess geolocation based on internet IP address.