British angler catches world’s biggest carp weighing 232lbs in Thailand

webfact

CARP-E DIEM 

British angler catches world’s biggest carp weighing 232lbs in Thailand

John Sturgis

carp.jpg

John, centre in our picture, needed help to show off the 105.23kg giant after taking 80 minutes to reel it in

Credit: Bournemouth News

AMAZED angler John Harvey poses with his world record catch — a  Siamese carp weighing 232lbs.

It beat the old record by 10lbs — so John, 42, celebrated by buying beers for all the other anglers at the Palm Tree Lagoon at Chedi Hak, southern Thailand.

The fish tipped the scales at 16.5 stones - heavier than a Mini car.

The property investor, from Westleigh, Devon, said: “It wasn’t fighting too hard, it was the weight that was the real challenge. And it was nerve racking because I didn’t want to make a mistake.

"After 80 minutes I finally brought it to the bank, and I couldn't believe my eyes.

"It was absolutely enormous, the pictures do not do it justice at all.

Full story: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9432366/worlds-biggest-carp-british-angler-thailand/

-- The SUN 2019-07-04

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, webfact said:

John Harvey poses with his world record catch — a  Siamese carp weighing 232lbs.

7 minutes ago, webfact said:

What is a "Mini car"? Must be a very very small one....

28 minutes ago, webfact said:

anglers at the Palm Tree Lagoon at Chedi Hak, southern Thailand

I googled it. It's in Ratchaburi - about 100km from Bangkok, so not quite 'southern Thailand'

There again, the article was in The Sun.

51 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I googled it. It's in Ratchaburi - about 100km from Bangkok, so not quite 'southern Thailand'

There again, the article was in The Sun.

I been there the lake is really small, 2 years ago I had a 90 kg carp in an other lake. These fish are massive, lots of fun.  

Glad to see that the Sun has used this occasion to post a page 3 type of video showing some semi naked models posing as if they have just caught some carp.

It is good to know that the Sun's reputation as a serious source of information on current world affairs remains intact. :cheesy:  

24 minutes ago, Beggar said:

What happened to this poor animal afterwards?

Catch and release.. as you see the animal did not even leave the water. The lakes where I fish you are not allowed to take the animals out of the water you will have to get in the water yourself for your picture. Quite good care is taken to make sure the fish are not damaged. A carp like that can go for 500.000 bt as people will want to fish there knowing there is a change such a big fish can be caught.

41 minutes ago, robblok said:

I guess your a vegetarian ?

Has nothing to do with vegetarian. I for instance eat meat but don't like bullfights, cockflights and other "fun" where animals have to suffer. I could not enjoy anything like this. 

1 minute ago, Beggar said:

Has nothing to do with vegetarian. I for instance eat meat but don't like bullfights, cockflights and other "fun" where animals have to suffer. I could not enjoy anything like this. 

I enjoy fishing a lot, but take care to minimize suffering. For instance in those lakes your not allowed to use an extra barb on your hook to minimize damage. Not allowed to take the fish out of the water. Any wounds are treated with anti septic on the fish. 

Studies are still ongoing about the suffering and I am sure that some fish do suffer especially if no care is taken. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

I enjoy fishing a lot, but take care to minimize suffering. For instance in those lakes your not allowed to use an extra barb on your hook to minimize damage. Not allowed to take the fish out of the water. Any wounds are treated with anti septic on the fish. 

Studies are still ongoing about the suffering and I am sure that some fish do suffer especially if no care is taken. 

It's very nice to know that you can enjoy your fishing without (to your knowledge) causing harm to the fish. It must be one helluva thrill to catch such an enormous fish on a rod and line. What kind of poundage line (if that is the correct terminology) are you allowed to use when fishing in these lakes? 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Hyperbole, poor research, and bad reporting strike again.  When will these people write after doing proper research.  Below is the correct weight of the Mini, unless he is talking about another car called a Mini but I do not know of such a vehicle.

Model   Weight
3 Door Cooper   1,220 kg
3 Door Cooper S   1,281 kg
3 Door John Cooper Works    1,309 kg 
5 Door Cooper S   1,329 kg

Maybe the less said the better.

'nuf sed.

2 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

semi naked models posing as if they have just caught some carp.

Going back to the recent article about the Scrabble Tournament to be soon held in Thailand.  The word CARP is an anagram for "CRAP".  Just saying.

'nuf sed.

Archived