British angler catches world’s biggest carp weighing 232lbs in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

Going back to the recent article about the Scrabble Tournament to be soon held in Thailand.  The word CARP is an anagram for "CRAP".  Just saying.

'nuf sed.

I think you'll make the team. Well done.

1 hour ago, cheshiremusicman said:

It's very nice to know that you can enjoy your fishing without (to your knowledge) causing harm to the fish. It must be one helluva thrill to catch such an enormous fish on a rod and line. What kind of poundage line (if that is the correct terminology) are you allowed to use when fishing in these lakes? 

Usually 60lbs of braid. But in the lake I fish they make you use their rods so they are sure it wont damage the fish too much.

2 hours ago, Beggar said:

Has nothing to do with vegetarian. I for instance eat meat but don't like bullfights, cockflights and other "fun" where animals have to suffer. I could not enjoy anything like this. 

take your NOT an angler then.....fish are very hardy and have hard mouths and most have teeth in their throats....this kinda fish SUCKS food in.....

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Usually 60lbs of braid. But in the lake I fish they make you use their rods so they are sure it wont damage the fish too much.

the "poundage" is actually called breakig strain...that is the ammount of strain/weight it would take to break OKAY I am a fisherman....and the captor did a very good job in catching and getting the fish out....I know the guy too

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

rods do not damage fish it is bad angling that can cause the fish distress.....and the test curve of the rod takes the strain/fight of the fish...

2 minutes ago, essox essox said:

the "poundage" is actually called breakig strain...that is the ammount of strain/weight it would take to break OKAY I am a fisherman....and the captor did a very good job in catching and getting the fish out....I know the guy too

I have no idea about all how they call it, i fished quite a lot but not as much since I don't know too many people who fish anymore. Its hard to handle a fish alone. Of course on those lakes you have a guide to help but the Thai lakes i visit you have to do it yourself. I just dont like asking help all the time.

Just now, essox essox said:

rods do not damage fish it is bad angling that can cause the fish distress.....and the test curve of the rod takes the strain/fight of the fish...

Rods can damage a fish if they are real stiff, the test curve you are talking about. In the lakes i fish they wont allow the ultra short rods that are used at the Thai lakes. I bought a rod there (spinning) brought it to a thai shop to change to baitcasting and I hope to use that this year when I go there. My baitcasting reels are far better then any spinning reel. 

Just now, robblok said:

I have no idea about all how they call it, i fished quite a lot but not as much since I don't know too many people who fish anymore. Its hard to handle a fish alone. Of course on those lakes you have a guide to help but the Thai lakes i visit you have to do it yourself. I just dont like asking help all the time.

so YOU get the fish out using your skills IF YOU HAVE ANY...the guy who caught the carp is very very experienced at angling....

Just now, robblok said:

Rods can damage a fish if they are real stiff, the test curve you are talking about. In the lakes i fish they wont allow the ultra short rods that are used at the Thai lakes. I bought a rod there (spinning) brought it to a thai shop to change to baitcasting and I hope to use that this year when I go there. My baitcasting reels are far better then any spinning reel. 

yeah agree if too strong a test curve....I have been fishing for nearly 60 yrs so KNOW a little about angling....

2 hours ago, BobBKK said:

42 years.  

47 years vegetarian, but i don't class myself as a sloppy animal lover. Got no qualms about killing pests including stray dogs. But guys who pointlessly kill animals, including fish, have a mental problem IMO, how anyone can call this a sport is a mystery to me. No more a sport than bull fighting or badger baiting, cruel and pointless.

1 hour ago, wotsdermatter said:

Hyperbole, poor research, and bad reporting strike again.  When will these people write after doing proper research.  Below is the correct weight of the Mini, unless he is talking about another car called a Mini but I do not know of such a vehicle.

Model   Weight
3 Door Cooper   1,220 kg
3 Door Cooper S   1,281 kg
3 Door John Cooper Works    1,309 kg 
5 Door Cooper S   1,329 kg

Maybe the less said the better.

'nuf sed.

My guess is what the article means is that the fish tends to get bigger over time as the gentleman recounts the tale of his catch to friends and acquaintances. In this way, and as time progresses, the carp will initially be 232lbs, then 520lbs, then 1,346lbs, and so on until it eventually reaches the size and weight of a Mini. You know anglers... 

18 minutes ago, essox essox said:

so YOU get the fish out using your skills IF YOU HAVE ANY...the guy who caught the carp is very very experienced at angling....

You said you fished a lot then you know that with fish like this its a 2 man job. One needs to man the net and get in the water. At least that is how it goes in lakes like that. I said I got afish just a lil bit smaller then that one so its not only about experienced at angling its luck too. 

Quite funny I was fishing the days before I got that big carb with a bait boat with sonar (one of the few in Thailand) and I did everything right. Dropping the bait at the same spot and so on. But no luck. Then the last day the boat broke down and I did all my fishing with PVA and a catapult and I caught the big carp called "scarface" at jurassic.  So you can do it all right and catch nothing and then catch it an other way. 

4 hours ago, robblok said:

I enjoy fishing a lot, but take care to minimize suffering. For instance in those lakes your not allowed to use an extra barb on your hook to minimize damage. Not allowed to take the fish out of the water. Any wounds are treated with anti septic on the fish. 

Studies are still ongoing about the suffering and I am sure that some fish do suffer especially if no care is taken. 

Seems reasonable to me - let's be honest, if a species of animal is not useful in some way to humans, then it's doomed.

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I googled it. It's in Ratchaburi - about 100km from Bangkok, so not quite 'southern Thailand'

There again, the article was in The Sun.

That explains why the weight is given in rocks,  err stones and lbs.  amazing to think that the UK went metric 50 years ago.

Archived