British angler catches world’s biggest carp weighing 232lbs in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, masuk said:

That explains why the weight is given in rocks,  err stones and lbs.  amazing to think that the UK went metric 50 years ago.

That's occurred to me in the past too.

At junior school we learnt imperial, then a couple of years later we had to learn about the metric system. The was fifty years ago, so I also don't understand why the UK news uses imperial so often.

Apart from speed where we still use miles per hour and imperial pints in the pub - although I seem to remember there was a lot of argy-bargy for the UK to be given an exception by the EU over that one?

The only three countries still using imperial measurements are the US, Burma, Liberia.

5 hours ago, robblok said:

I enjoy fishing a lot, but take care to minimize suffering. For instance in those lakes your not allowed to use an extra barb on your hook to minimize damage. Not allowed to take the fish out of the water. Any wounds are treated with anti septic on the fish. 

Studies are still ongoing about the suffering and I am sure that some fish do suffer especially if no care is taken. 

As you reel them in- with basically a metal spike in their living flesh- they do not feel a little pain or discomfort? 

As they say in The Kingdom - for what ? 

The chase - the suffering- just to take advantage and get pleasure from an animal that has been on this planet far far longer than Homo sapiens ? 

Great angling achievement. This fishery has a 100% catch and release policy so the fish wasn't killed as some ill informed people are claiming. This is the largest known Giant Siamese Carp in Thai commercial fisheries since the big one in Bung Sam Lan died of old age a few years ago. It takes a great deal of luck coupled with angling skill to hook and land such a fish. Commercial fisheries bring in a huge amount of tourist revenue to Thailand costing anglers around 5-7,000 Baht a day to fish.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Glad to see that the Sun has used this occasion to post a page 3 type of video showing some semi naked models posing as if they have just caught some carp.

It is good to know that the Sun's reputation as a serious source of information on current world affairs remains intact. :cheesy:  

Thanks, I wouldn't have bothered to open the link without this crucial info! I do miss page 3.

For convenience:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4598601/carponizer-2018-calendar-unveiled-showing-topless-women-proudly-posing-with-massive-fish/

3 hours ago, essox essox said:

a mini must weigh about a ton....2240 pounds, or 1016 kgs so NOTHING like a MINI in weight....who ever reported this is a complete DUMBO....!!!

Once upon a time there was a Mini. It was a proper mini and not some bloated bargain basement BMW vajazzle for hairdressers and estate agents. It weighed in at 580kg, which is still nowhere near the weight of the fish but is also nowhere near a ton.

mini.jpg

9 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I googled it. It's in Ratchaburi - about 100km from Bangkok, so not quite 'southern Thailand'

There again, the article was in The Sun.

Well. Anything that is not northern Thailand, must be southern Thailand to overseas people. 

6 hours ago, robblok said:

I enjoy fishing a lot, but take care to minimize suffering. For instance in those lakes your not allowed to use an extra barb on your hook to minimize damage. Not allowed to take the fish out of the water. Any wounds are treated with anti septic on the fish. 

Studies are still ongoing about the suffering and I am sure that some fish do suffer especially if no care is taken. 

In addition a lot of these fisheries hold the fish in the water for 5 minutes or so after the pics are taken giving it oxygen, to make sure it is not exhausted when released.  

5 hours ago, Myran said:

Nah, doesn't count. A tiny pond filled to the brim with giant fish that are fed daily with pellets? Might as well shoot fish in a barrel. 

I do know what you mean. Myself I prefer the habitat to be as natural as possible, and for it to be as challenging as fishing on a river for example. 

That said, I've been to man made lakes in Phang Nga and the one near Krabi (not sure if I'm allowed to say names), and had amazing days fishing and taking in the incredible surroundings. I'll definitely do that again, but I would like to know about easily accessible 'natural' places to fish around LOS. Apart form the sea of course...I know that one.  

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I like vegetarians, but I couldn't eat a whole one.

(sorry! an old joke)

Haha, to be fair most of my friends devour dead flesh and that's their choice. I'm not a preacher but, occasionally, I'll say something on behalf of the innocent animals that are killed, horribly often, to feed the ravenous hordes who love the smell of suffering and cooked flesh.  ????

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

That's occurred to me in the past too.

At junior school we learnt imperial, then a couple of years later we had to learn about the metric system. The was fifty years ago, so I also don't understand why the UK news uses imperial so often.

Apart from speed where we still use miles per hour and imperial pints in the pub - although I seem to remember there was a lot of argy-bargy for the UK to be given an exception by the EU over that one?

The only three countries still using imperial measurements are the US, Burma, Liberia.

Macau. Was there last weekend and the shops were selling stuff by the lb. Bought me'sen some of that stuff too, ar did. 

6 minutes ago, Mick501 said:

Fishing is great!  So is clubbing fur seals and playing football with puppies.  All tremendous sports to prove your manlihood.

Jeez there's always one isn't there? I realise you are trolling but you need to appreciate that angling is arguably the largest participant leisure activity in the world so thankfully you belong to a loony minority. ????

8 hours ago, Beggar said:

What happened to this poor animal afterwards?

8 hours ago, lujanit said:

These fishing places are usually catch and release.

8 hours ago, robblok said:

I guess your a vegetarian ?

Carp are typically not tasty, especially in dirty water environments.  I don't think being a  "vegetarian", or not, has anything to do with it robblok. 

2 minutes ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

Carp are typically not tasty, especially in dirty water environments.  I don't think being a  "vegetarian", or not, has anything to do with it robblok. 

That's actually not true. In many eastern European countries carp is the Christmas lunch meal of choice. I have eaten several cypranid species native to Thailand and many are very tasty indeed - just ask the Thais they love them. 

6 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

Hyperbole, poor research, and bad reporting strike again.

It’s not poor research or deliberate hyperbole, it’s just that some journalists are utterly innumerate. They don’t notice things that immediately stand out as being ludicrous. 

7 minutes ago, Siamesecarper said:

That's actually not true. In many eastern European countries carp is the Christmas lunch meal of choice. I have eaten several cypranid species native to Thailand and many are very tasty indeed - just ask the Thais they love them. 

That's interesting.  In the US carp are fun to catch but typically thrown back.

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

Once upon a time there was a Mini. It was a proper mini and not some bloated bargain basement BMW vajazzle for hairdressers and estate agents. It weighed in at 580kg, which is still nowhere near the weight of the fish but is also nowhere near a ton.

mini.jpg

And what a splendid little motor car they were. I had several of them over 15 years or so - all bought through the small ads in the local papers. Never paid more than £500 for one, all of them lasted for at least 3 years or so! I became a dab hand at replacing rear subframes!

Archived