British angler catches world’s biggest carp weighing 232lbs in Thailand

webfact

10 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I think all the page 3 models were humanely killed.

Poor animal?

It gets stuck back in the water, fed well, puts on some more weight then another "fisherman" catches it and he becomes the new "world record holder"

These fishing lakes are everywhere and they all claim to hold "world records".

Being a lifetime sport-fisherman, I prefer to do it "the real way".  This stuff is akin to dropping a line in your fish-tank at home - - -

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, cheshiremusicman said:

It's very nice to know that you can enjoy your fishing without (to your knowledge) causing harm to the fish. It must be one helluva thrill to catch such an enormous fish on a rod and line. What kind of poundage line (if that is the correct terminology) are you allowed to use when fishing in these lakes? 

Helluva thrill? - You must be joking.  Staff bait up the hook, cast it out then let you sit there and watch the rod.  If it moves they grab it, set the hook and give it to you to wind in.  When it gets clost to the pier you are sitting on they jump into the water, capture and hold the fish and as you to join them for the photo session!

That's not "catching fish" - - - - -

7 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Pointlessly killed by idiots who probably describe themselves as 'animal lovers'

That is about as ignorant as it gets.

The fish are released back into the water in good condition..

You should read the whole thread before you shoot your mouth off.  All you achieved here is s

showed your ignorance.

47 years vegetarian, but i don't class myself as a sloppy animal lover. Got no qualms about killing pests including stray dogs. But guys who pointlessly kill animals, including fish, have a mental problem IMO, how anyone can call this a sport is a mystery to me. No more a sport than bull fighting or badger baiting, cruel and pointless.

You are obviously totally ignorant about "catch and release".

6 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Not all and not that one

Orton - Your ignorance is astounding.  Every time you post on this thread it becomes more obvious.

May I suggest you peddle your vegan/vegie beliefs elsewhere?

47 years vegetarian, but i don't class myself as a sloppy animal lover. Got no qualms about killing pests including stray dogs. But guys who pointlessly kill animals, including fish, have a mental problem IMO, how anyone can call this a sport is a mystery to me. No more a sport than bull fighting or badger baiting, cruel and pointless.

Again Orton - a stunning display of ignorance and a passion to jamb your beliefs down others throats - - -

7 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

My guess is what the article means is that the fish tends to get bigger over time as the gentleman recounts the tale of his catch to friends and acquaintances. In this way, and as time progresses, the carp will initially be 232lbs, then 520lbs, then 1,346lbs, and so on until it eventually reaches the size and weight of a Mini. You know anglers... 

Exactly.

All these fishing lakes claim to have world record fish.  They are constantly caught and released, to be caught heavier later.  They drive the IGFA mad trying to outdo each other with their record claims.

2 minutes ago, Lenny Jones said:

Exactly.

All these fishing lakes claim to have world record fish.  They are constantly caught and released, to be caught heavier later.  They drive the IGFA mad trying to outdo each other with their record claims.

Which is why the IGFA no longer accepts captures for this species into the world record list.

6 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Not all and not that one

Orton you are getting tiring with your continued displays of ignorance.  The fish was released - to be caught again - - - .

You are really out of your depth here mate

10 hours ago, robblok said:

Catch and release.. as you see the animal did not even leave the water. The lakes where I fish you are not allowed to take the animals out of the water you will have to get in the water yourself for your picture. Quite good care is taken to make sure the fish are not damaged. A carp like that can go for 500.000 bt as people will want to fish there knowing there is a change such a big fish can be caught.

So how do you weigh the fish in the water......

5 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Just out of interest, how exactly did they manage to weigh the fish if they were not allowed to take it out of the water.

Another Eureka moment?

It is captured in a net by the staff and weighed on a set of hanging scales.  The fish is treated for any injuries then lifted out of the net with the angler standing in the middle for the photo-shoot.

1 minute ago, hugocnx said:

So how do you weigh the fish in the water......

I don't its estimated by the guides, I have never seen them weigh a fish at the lake where i fish. I doubt that this fish has really been weighed. But I could be wrong because I was not there.

The lake i normally fish they might have weighed the fish before and use that and see if its bigger or not. But when I caught it they said it was 90 kg and its name was "scarface" and has been caught before. Anyway I am not too hung up on numbers when its about fishing  its fun for me. 

4 hours ago, peterb17 said:

As you reel them in- with basically a metal spike in their living flesh- they do not feel a little pain or discomfort? 

As they say in The Kingdom - for what ? 

The chase - the suffering- just to take advantage and get pleasure from an animal that has been on this planet far far longer than Homo sapiens ? 

You're relating a retpile's nervous system to a warm-blooded mammal like yourself.

Wrong

Go and do your homework about lateral lines and sensory receptors in the piscatorial world.

3 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

I do know what you mean. Myself I prefer the habitat to be as natural as possible, and for it to be as challenging as fishing on a river for example. 

That said, I've been to man made lakes in Phang Nga and the one near Krabi (not sure if I'm allowed to say names), and had amazing days fishing and taking in the incredible surroundings. I'll definitely do that again, but I would like to know about easily accessible 'natural' places to fish around LOS. Apart form the sea of course...I know that one.  

There are many big lakes in the mid-north of Thailand, some of them holding up to 45 different species.

If you want a REAL sport-fishing challenge with a great culinary finish - Study and go for snakehead fish.

That'll keep you busy for the rest of your life!

12 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I googled it. It's in Ratchaburi - about 100km from Bangkok, so not quite 'southern Thailand'

There again, the article was in The Sun.

It's pretty close to the immigration office in Ratchaburi.  A stocked pond that costs around 8,000 baht to fish at.  It's most likely been caught before and will be caught again.

2 hours ago, Mick501 said:

Fishing is great!  So is clubbing fur seals and playing football with puppies.  All tremendous sports to prove your manlihood.

And you don't eat fish?

That's the main reason I catch them

Nothing to do with my "manlihood"   I've never clubbed a seal so I cannot comment on that.  (you appear to know something about that) But I have spent countless hours playing "football with puppies and it appears you know nothing about that.

Congratulations on your display of knowledge, your lack of knowledge and your failure to master spell-check.

3 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Haha, to be fair most of my friends devour dead flesh and that's their choice. I'm not a preacher but, occasionally, I'll say something on behalf of the innocent animals that are killed, horribly often, to feed the ravenous hordes who love the smell of suffering and cooked flesh.  ????

0e04c67206bccfdeb4c1a4e059a36eb0f0d6fe07_hq (2017_06_25 11_02_54 UTC).jpg

2 hours ago, Jimbo in Thailand said:

That's interesting.  In the US carp are fun to catch but typically thrown back.

In Australia they are considered to be an invasive pest and it is actually illegal to return them to the water.  If caught they must be dispatched and disposed of.

3 hours ago, BobBKK said:

..ravenous hordes who love the smell of suffering and cooked flesh.  ????

mmmm...hungry.....

I like the salad where you have the live little shrimp bouncing around. Positively savage tasting.

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

Utterly pathetic. This sad guy should find something else to do with his time. What happened to this beautiful fish ?

Yet another ignorant moron.

If you're going to post a comment you should at least read the thread and see ALL the posts relating to this catch.

9d5.png

12 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Glad to see that the Sun has used this occasion to post a page 3 type of video showing some semi naked models posing as if they have just caught some carp.

It is good to know that the Sun's reputation as a serious source of information on current world affairs remains intact. :cheesy:  

Watching the babes was a hell of a lot more fun than watching some <deleted> and his carp.  IMHO. ????

Guest Jerry787

pity for the fish, either he got killed or not, guess in what stress he has been.

guess if one of us is hunted and grabbed like that... 

43 minutes ago, Tomahawk21 said:

no vegan 

Leather shoes? belt? wallet? handbag? fossil fuel in your car? leather seats? house got electricity made with fossil fuel? wooden furniture glued with animal-based glues?

Lots of dead animal stuff in your life?

45 minutes ago, Jerry787 said:

pity for the fish, either he got killed or not, guess in what stress he has been.

God spare me?

Is there no end to the ignorants who have added their tuppenceworth to this page?

Here is another one who thinks a piscatorial reptile thinks and feels like a human!

I have posted many times on this page to counter the garbage posted by these biased ignorants and vegie trolls stating FACTS.

I just wish they would stick to things they know instead of generating garbage. - - - - - -

53 minutes ago, Jerry787 said:

It's a catch and release pond, stocked with big trophy fish.  Pay big money to get a photo taken with a big fish.

Archived