Chinese in Hua Hin

watgate

I was in Pattaya a few days ago and saw 100's if not 1000's of chinese tourists pouring onto  ferries headed for Hua Hin. I was wondering how  infested Hua Hin is with Chinese tourists and what impact, if any, they have on the area? Personally I have difficulty dealing with such a large presence of Chinese shouting and pushing and being their usual abrasive selves. Has the Chinese presence in Hua Hin detracted at all from the quality of life there? I was always interested in going to see Hua Hin but now I am reconsidering my plans based on seeing the hordes of Chinese pouring onto the ferries headed for Hua Hin. I am sure their economic clout is welcome in Hua Hin but have many bought real estate there?

20 minutes ago, watgate said:

I was in Pattaya a few days ago and saw 100's if not 1000's of chinese tourists pouring onto  ferries headed for Hua Hin.

Yea! Pattaya is relieved. Hua Hin is welcome to them.

That said, wherever it is that they go to in Hua Hin or Pattaya it isnt the same places that I go to, thankfully.

But are you sure that they werent just going out for a meal on those floating restaurants? Or going to Koh Larn for the day?

6 hours ago, watgate said:

I was wondering how  infested Hua Hin is with Chinese tourists

Where have I heard language like that before...except it was used then with reference to South American's coming to North America...?

I presume you mean Mainland Chinese!  I was in Pattaya over the weekend and noticed  a lot of  Hong Kong Chinese around given it was a long weekend in HK just passed.  Just remember the HK Chinese, Taiwanese Chinese, Singapore Chinese all very much distinguish themselves from the Mainalanders.

I live in HH very near where the Ferry lands in a very trendy area called Khao Takiap. We have Chinese here now year round. The massage ladies here near the Amari are happy but say the Chinese always want a massage at 11:pm so they have to work late. I noticed the massage places are not closing for low season anymore. Cicada Market in Khao Takiap in front of the Hyatt Beach Resort is very popular with Chinese tourists, sells better than average stuff, (not the usual junk) and good food. It is a chick flick and young couples and family thing. They also wear expensive clothes.  

I see many groups of Chinese ladies walking around in nice beach/sun dresses and sun hats. They are doing the selfie tour.

The 7/11 in Khao Takiap that was totally dead at midnight 5 years ago sometimes can be super crowded. And there are now three 7/11 and two new Family Marts. The Chinese love Bluport Mall and load up on cheesy Thai tourist products at Gourmet Market were they spend big bucks.

They also have their own restaurants they visit with long lines in the Soi 55 area, and I never see them in other areas like Soi 94, 88 and never in Bintabaht or in small bars. (Maybe nice resort hotel bars)   

I also never see tour groups with people with flags, these Chinese have more money and seem to be more experienced. They are oblivious to everyone around them. But tourists can be like that. We do get tour buses in high season.  They have discovered the VIP Sombat bus and trains. You have to book a day or two ahead now even in low season.      

OK back to watching the weather radar.

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Where have I heard language like that before...except it was used then with reference to South American's coming to North America...?

This is about Thailand and the language used elsewhere has no relevance to the topic at hand.

9 hours ago, watgate said:

Has the Chinese presence in Hua Hin detracted at all from the quality of life there?

I have a Chairman Mao tee shirt with a red slash mark across his face and a three foot Samurai sword. 

And another tee shirt that says "Trade War or Nuke War Up To You."

They are quiet after that.

My experience is different. They are not and by no means the educated, civilized and polite people some here are talking about. They come in groups or family groups, they are noisy and rude and without regard to the concerns of others, they talk loud what is disrespectful here, they show no consideration for the local habits and feelings, they leave their tables full of trash. They are ignorant, ruthless, insensitive, arrogant, impertinent, shameless, cheeky, cheap, vulgar, primitve. Go to places like Blueport or the Ruam Saep Yok Khok restaurant near Market Village and open your eyes!

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

I have a Chairman Mao tee shirt with a red slash mark across his face and a three foot Samurai sword. 

They would be. They are memorizing your face and your address.

Sleep tight. ????

KittenKong- Thanks you have enlightened me about going to eat at the floating restaurants on the pier at Pattaya as well as going to Koh Larn for the day. I wasn't aware of that. When I saw the huge crowds of Chinese racing to the boats it was in the late afternoon so I don't think they were headed to Koh Larn at that time. Some could have been going to eat at the floating restaurants.

1 hour ago, nofarang said:

My experience is different. They are not and by no means the educated, civilized and polite people some here are talking about. They come in groups or family groups, they are noisy and rude and without regard to the concerns of others, they talk loud what is disrespectful here, they show no consideration for the local habits and feelings, they leave their tables full of trash. They are ignorant, ruthless, insensitive, arrogant, impertinent, shameless, cheeky, cheap, vulgar, primitve. Go to places like Blueport or the Ruam Saep Yok Khok restaurant near Market Village and open your eyes!

Do you clean your own table in a restaurant? How obliging.

You do know the single child policy was only repealed five years ago? Family groups? You mean threes?

Ruthless? As in 'I've ordered my dinner, and by Crikey I'm going to eat it down to the last grain of sticky rice. and don't even think about stopping me?'

Cheeky? You have a full grasp of Mandarin do you? You know the Putonghua for 'What are you glowering at you fat, drunk, elderly, sock and sandal wearing failure?'

I'm impressed.

5 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Sounds like the kind of language Hitler and his stooges used to justify their final solution.

7 hours ago, watgate said:

KittenKong- Thanks you have enlightened me about going to eat at the floating restaurants on the pier at Pattaya as well as going to Koh Larn for the day. I wasn't aware of that. When I saw the huge crowds of Chinese racing to the boats it was in the late afternoon so I don't think they were headed to Koh Larn at that time. Some could have been going to eat at the floating restaurants.

The Pattaya - Hua Hin ferry usually leaves at 13.00, so presumably large groups of passengers would have to congregate on the pier approximately 11.00 - 12.00 not late afternoon.

3 hours ago, Lancelot01 said:

The Pattaya - Hua Hin ferry usually leaves at 13.00, so presumably large groups of passengers would have to congregate on the pier approximately 11.00 - 12.00 not late afternoon.

Why don't they use crafts like those of the Normandy landings? The invasion would be more efficient... 

10 hours ago, Traubert said:

Do you clean your own table in a restaurant? How obliging.

You do know the single child policy was only repealed five years ago? Family groups? You mean threes?

Ruthless? As in 'I've ordered my dinner, and by Crikey I'm going to eat it down to the last grain of sticky rice. and don't even think about stopping me?'

Cheeky? You have a full grasp of Mandarin do you? You know the Putonghua for 'What are you glowering at you fat, drunk, elderly, sock and sandal wearing failure?'

I'm impressed.

Before one starts giving lessons, one should better learn. 

The concept of family is not limited to parents and their children.

There can be a group of 6 or 8 people of the same family (adult brothers and sisters and their spouses, for example) without a single child... that is still a family group... 

There is a different between leaving one's table with used plates, utensils and glasses, and leaving the same table covered with trash (food that used to be in the plate but somehow landed on the table, and other nondescript items). 

As for language, one doesn't need to know the language of ducks to recognize a duck... as goes the saying: if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and QUACKS like a duck, then it's probably a duck... 

7 hours ago, Lancelot01 said:

And it only holds around 350 passengers...........

18 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I live in HH very near where the Ferry lands in a very trendy area called Khao Takiap

I never  saw you there in the 18  months i lived there at Tortugas  condo, theyve  built a  lot round there lately.

On 7/4/2019 at 6:35 AM, nofarang said:

So they are similar to many Farang who visit Thailand...

I was in Hua Hin in March for a few days and must say didn't notice may Chinese while I was there on the beach at the Hilton, or while having dinner. However, on returning to Suvarnabhumi we decided to pop into the Ground floor restaurant so the wife could have a bit of Thai food. It was like a cross between a rowdy football match and a prison canteen, everyone was shouting. Then 10 minutes later the noise and crowds dissipated - their flight was departing and the flags went up.

I must say I hope they do not discover Isaan while I am  alive!

12 hours ago, rickudon said:

I must say I hope they do not discover Isaan while I am  alive!

Not likely since there is no ocean around in Isaan... looks like they are attracted by saltwater... 

On 7/4/2019 at 5:32 PM, NCC1701A said:

Provoking people for fun is a moronic sport. Why not just watch the weather radar instead?

Archived