BANGKOK 18 July 2019 07:48
SometimezaGreatNotion

Best value coffee beans or ground

Although I'm not a connoisseur, I like the better quality coffee (in general, I like less harsh and strong flavor/aroma). Buying coffee can get pricey, even though I usually grind and brew my own (single cup at a time). Does anyone have insights or recommendations? Is ground coffee cheaper than beans? 

I like Lanna coffee as it is very strong.  A large table spoon makes a 4 cup pot.

But, here it is like asking what is the best wine in Napa.  There are so many coffee farms and shops it is really a personal choice.

Drive up in the mountains near Mae Rim and there are probably 25 different local coffee shops/farms. Many, will let you taste for free.

I usually have them grind it in the shop. Stays fresh for the few weeks it lasts.

1 hour ago, cmsally said:

Duang Dee coffee have beans or ground. You can buy direct from them at their place near the moat just off Manee Nopparat Rd.

We have ben buying their "Extra smooth"variety for a few years.Took us a few weeks to actually find them.

Heading east along the top right cnr of the moat its the last small soi,they are the last shop at the end of the soi on the left . 1/2 kg ground is 180 baht from memory,top taste

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cmsally said:

Duang Dee coffee have beans or ground. You can buy direct from them at their place near the moat just off Manee Nopparat Rd.

I’ve seen it at the Tops supermarket in Airport Plaza too..

Posted (edited)

Ahh Good luck. hah. Truthfully I recommend buying a S load outside of Thailand and bringing into the country. The brands people have mentioned above I have tried, and tried repeatedly. They are ok. But that is it, just Ok. And yes buying whole bean does give one a better deal, plus longer storage if vacuum sealed, which might be the real bargain.

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 2

Escaping the hot season/smoke in Bali

P1100788r.jpg

Heading back from Rain City

Make it so

IMG_20150503_201742r.jpg

• Like 1

I bought beans from Duang Dee for 9 years then switched to Moccano dark roast. Now I get Hillkoff French roast. I buy 4 kg. at a time as it's an odd location especially when you exit the place! The Hillkoff is the smoothest and best tasting IMO. Duang Dee is really a medium roast and I prefer a much darker roast. The Hillkoff is the best I've had (at a reasonable cost). There is one I really like but it is 350 Baht for 200 grams.

I drank Duang Dee for ten years and I gave a month to Hillikoff. And they are ok. Economically speaking. I'm not going to pay the 550 or 600 Baht for 250 grams at starbucks thailand, guess I am still a cheapskate. that said that starbucks coffee all complain about, beats Hillokoff hands down. Its not even close.

I know Brit who brings in 15 to 20 kilos - basically one of his stowed bags, its his coffee bag. Customs doesn't care. Another addict uses illy and moka pots exclusively, but very expensive. Sooner or later, if you re a coffee addict, that is the way to go.

best of luck on whatever you decide. Just know there are other options.