Best value coffee beans or ground

Although I'm not a connoisseur, I like the better quality coffee (in general, I like less harsh and strong flavor/aroma). Buying coffee can get pricey, even though I usually grind and brew my own (single cup at a time). Does anyone have insights or recommendations? Is ground coffee cheaper than beans? 

I like Lanna coffee as it is very strong.  A large table spoon makes a 4 cup pot.

But, here it is like asking what is the best wine in Napa.  There are so many coffee farms and shops it is really a personal choice.

Drive up in the mountains near Mae Rim and there are probably 25 different local coffee shops/farms. Many, will let you taste for free.

I usually have them grind it in the shop. Stays fresh for the few weeks it lasts.

2 hours ago, cmsally said:

Duang Dee coffee have beans or ground. You can buy direct from them at their place near the moat just off Manee Nopparat Rd.

I’ve seen it at the Tops supermarket in Airport Plaza too..

Ahh Good luck. hah. Truthfully I recommend buying a S load outside of Thailand and bringing into the country. The brands people have mentioned above I have tried, and tried repeatedly. They are ok. But that is it, just Ok. And yes buying whole bean does give one a better deal, plus longer storage if vacuum sealed, which might be the real bargain.

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 2

I bought beans from Duang Dee for 9 years then switched to Moccano dark roast. Now I get Hillkoff French roast. I buy 4 kg. at a time as it's an odd location especially when you exit the place! The Hillkoff is the smoothest and best tasting IMO. Duang Dee is really a medium roast and I prefer a much darker roast. The Hillkoff is the best I've had (at a reasonable cost). There is one I really like but it is 350 Baht for 200 grams.

I drank Duang Dee for ten years and I gave a month to Hillikoff. And they are ok. Economically speaking. I'm not going to pay the 550 or 600 Baht for 250 grams at starbucks thailand, guess I am still a cheapskate. that said that starbucks coffee all complain about, beats Hillokoff hands down. Its not even close.

I know Brit who brings in 15 to 20 kilos - basically one of his stowed bags, its his coffee bag. Customs doesn't care. Another addict uses illy and moka pots exclusively, but very expensive. Sooner or later, if you re a coffee addict, that is the way to go.

best of luck on whatever you decide. Just know there are other options.

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Escaping the hot season/smoke in Bali

P1100788r.jpg

I used to live in Bali & found it somewhat humorous that you might be served Nescafe if first time visitor to family as show of respect. Some of the best coffee on planet from Indonesia, eh?

• Haha 1

My personal favourite is French roast.  Beans are preferable, to be ground at home, because the freshness tends to be locked inside until they are ground.  Also, the shelf-life of beans is much greater (longer) than pre-ground coffee.

I always buy Arabica coffee, for the best, more subtle, flavours, than Robusta.  Most of the coffee grown in Vietnam (and possibly from Thailand, also, although I am not aware) is Robusta, a cheaper variant which is most-often used in the large, commercial brands. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Hillkoff has a selection of grinders - But I was just in there yesterday and they look to be downsizing?... lots of empty space?... The other location where they do repairs might have more stock too...

Here is the grinder I have... Great little grinder that can easily grind espresso grind...

https://shop.bluekoff.com/ProductList.aspx?cat=114&iscoffee=Y

This it a small place tucked away along the Ping River just north of the city... I don’t care for their coffee and it has mainly a selection of VERY expensive machine (with the accepting of the grinder I showed above) but I recommend everyone to go just to see a high tech espresso machine in action!...

My Setup...

A3942339-6B9E-4430-B1F4-1D514E47E849.jpeg

nice gaggia. see you added a pid  i once rebuilt 2 gaggia single group commercial machines. lot of fun and they worked great after. donated one to a hospital and sold the other

Edited by atyclb
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, allanos said:

My personal favourite is French roast.  Beans are preferable, to be ground at home, because the freshness tends to be locked inside until they are ground.  Also, the shelf-life of beans is much greater (longer) than pre-ground coffee.

I always buy Arabica coffee, for the best, more subtle, flavours, than Robusta.  Most of the coffee grown in Vietnam (and possibly from Thailand, also, although I am not aware) is Robusta, a cheaper variant which is most-often used in the large, commercial brands. 

viet has lots of arabica also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i would check out the lowermost floor of jj mall in bkk.  theres lots of coffee grinders at multiple shops.  some of the chinese ones are commercial grade burr grinders for an excellent price. just like italian ones

Edited by atyclb
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, atyclb said:

nice gaggia. see you added a pid  i once rebuilt 2 gaggia single group commercial machines. lot of fun and they worked great after. donated one to a hospital and sold the other

Great machine and built like a tank... I’ve easily disassembled and cleaned it... Got this one on Facebook Marketplace for 10k and added the pid... They come up for sale every couple months for around that price as the owners don’t know what they have ;-)... Here is an example... Great starter set (but Gaggia grinder is fugly) for anyone interested https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2426356414041597/

Edited by sfokevin

if you will be in siam reap or phnom penh you can get 1 kg of italy roasted/blended beans for 15 usd.  70% arabica and excellent. not bitter, chocolaty taste. this is a loss leader for the company but great at promoting business. i have used it for years.    same coffee in thailand around 35usd

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 15.24.23.png

15 minutes ago, sfokevin said:
34 minutes ago, atyclb said:

Great machine and built like a tank... I’ve easily disassembled and cleaned it... Got this one on Facebook Marketplace for 10k and added the pid... They come up for sale every couple months for around that price as the owners don’t know what they have ;-)... Here is an example... Great set (but Gaggia grinder is fugly)...  https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2426356414041597/

thats an excellent deal in thailand. i have that same grinder in storage back home. works great

currently use a la spaziale s1 direct plumb and ascaso doserless grinder

IMG_20190704_153440.jpg

Edited by atyclb
  • Like 1