Best value coffee beans or ground

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

So what's the alternative, Starbucks or Nescafe?

The worst cup of coffee I've had was in Starbucks at Swampy airport. While in Naklua, Bangkok I was getting a great cup of coffee in Smile for Bt35. I really miss that.

• Like 2

I like to grind my own. Most grinder are crap. I use a dulit grinder which i had posted from uk. At a 5* resort called rayvadee in krabie i had 3 cups of there wonderful morning coffee its called wawee coffee, i bought the dark roast. One of their few shops in bangkok posted me 10 bags....... Inside was a free bag wow. Yesterday they phoned my wife incase i needed more but alas i am the only one in our household that drinks it, wife never. But she did say that we will pop in for a cuppa and say high. Later this year we will go to their best shop in chaing mai look it up on google. Most grinders use a fast spinning blade and they say this burns the coffee. Dulit grindes the coffee properley. Look their website. When i have a coffee i always have a dash of drambuie. Last month on holiday in vegas my wife bought me a hip flask for my bd there. 

IMG_20190705_094854.jpg

Edited by helloagain
Added picture
  • Like 2

I followed this thread as I also pursue the Holy Grail of the perfect cup of coffee! Deep flavours, rich and not a hint of bitterness. So hard to find here.

I used to buy Peaberry beans from Hilkoff until I had one batch not roasted well. Roasting is key.

Then I discovered Suan Pailom Coffee here in Chiang Mai ( they are on Facebook).  

Canadian Roaster (trained by a turkish coffee master so seems to achieve better flavours-to my taste at least), and he approaches his job like a scientist. Obviously carefully sourced beans. But then the notebook comes out, to note readings of key factors such as humidity, ambient temperature, etc etc.

So every batch is the same which works for me.

They supply beans or grind to your spec (eg ultrafine for espresso machines).

and then you will have your own variables, apart from the grinder, the water you use and the machine you prepare coffee in. The milk if any, and sweetener if any. (Under doctors orders I now use stevia powder instead of sugar. Only a little but variations in that can spoil a good cup!)

If I have visitors from the uk, they are asked to bring a supply of Guatemala Elephant Beans from Whittards. Triple the size of most beans and richer but not bitter.

Good luck all in your quests.

Like wine, a very personal taste choice.

Hoping for more ideas on here-keep them coming please!

• Like 2

I'm a complete pleb when it comes to milky coffee which as far as I'm concerned is hot milk with a coffee flavour. Heating a mug of milk in the microwave and stirring in a large spoon of instant Nescafe suits me fine

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, atyclb said:

Pacamara is an excellent bean supplier. At 375 per kg. it's not a bad price at all from your link. Don't know about the Napoli blend.

Edit: Although it clearly says 375 per kg., when you add it to the cart, the price is 500 Baht per kg. which I don't know if that is an error on the website or what. If not, then it's a bit steep.

7 hours ago, elektrified said:

Edit: Although it clearly says 375 per kg., when you add it to the cart, the price is 500 Baht per kg. which I don't know if that is an error on the website or what. If not, then it's a bit steep.

375 is thai price.....farang pay extra.....:whistling:

If you actually like to taste the coffee and drink it black and without sugar then one coffee that I have found is way above the others. It is a Swedish brand called Gevalia and was, until recently, sold by Ville Market. It is a medium roasted Brazilian Bean and has soft mellow taste which makes you want to drink more. Unfortunately Ville Market stopped selling it and I am searching for another supplier. I have even considered importing it myself or getting someone in Sweden to send me a a few kilos every few months. If you know of another supplier here please please give me his details.

2 hours ago, ResandePohm said:

If you actually like to taste the coffee and drink it black and without sugar then one coffee that I have found is way above the others. It is a Swedish brand called Gevalia and was, until recently, sold by Ville Market. It is a medium roasted Brazilian Bean and has soft mellow taste which makes you want to drink more. Unfortunately Ville Market stopped selling it and I am searching for another supplier. I have even considered importing it myself or getting someone in Sweden to send me a a few kilos every few months. If you know of another supplier here please please give me his details.

I used to drink Gevalia coffee in the late 1980's - early 1990's. I have 2 very nice canisters here that they gave me as a gift back then. It was extremely smooth and rich tasting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:57 AM, sfokevin said:

I’ve seen it at the Tops supermarket in Airport Plaza too..

Many places you can buy Duang dee but you will obviously pay more........Best to go direct

7 hours ago, elektrified said:

Pacamara is an excellent bean supplier. At 375 per kg. it's not a bad price at all from your link. Don't know about the Napoli blend.

125 baht for 250 gram bag. when you hover mouse over 1 kg icon it say . +375 . which is the correct price for 3 more 250 gram bags to reach 1kg

i have used napoli blend and it is quite nice. uses import beans as well as thai.  500 baht for 1kg of euro roasted tasting beans is not bad in thailand. it is at least 1/2 the price of an italian roasted import

Edited by atyclb

Coffee, once ground, deteriorates much more quickly than roasted, which in my experience, will last and keeps its flavour for up to 6 Months, especially if you use a zip lock bag and store in the fridge. Coffee is expensive in Thailand and its quality is highly variable. If you go Home to Europe for a spell, do buy a kilogram or two of a decent quality Arabica Coffee. Colombian Supremo is an excellent medium blend. Bean to Cup coffee machines from DeLonghi are on sale at Central Plaza locations. These make perfect coffee to taste with great convenience but at 4 times the price you get one from Europe. It's almost worth making a special trip back Home just to buy one.

Coffee expensive in T'land?  I cannot agree. Any import coffee subject to high tax, transport charges, etc.  Local grown, CM Province, Arabica coffee is of good quality and well priced, for me.

I always, nearly so, go to Hillkopf and snap up a 500 gram bag of beans and have the shop grind it.  Often i choose a different variety or roast i've not tried before  to vary my experience but i always choose grind #11. The bag lasts about 1 month.

Supermarket ground coffee always too finely ground for my needs so i get the beans ground up to fat particles. Keep the cost low, avoid machines and filter papers; make the coffee fast, simple and hot every morning. 

Dump the wet grounds into the toilet.  

Let me also say that, in general, we folks of habit can habituate to any taste so if your taste is high cost, slow, and cold morning coffee, so be it. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hawksway said:

Coffee, once ground, deteriorates much more quickly than roasted, which in my experience, will last and keeps its flavour for up to 6 Months, especially if you use a zip lock bag and store in the fridge. Coffee is expensive in Thailand and its quality is highly variable. If you go Home to Europe for a spell, do buy a kilogram or two of a decent quality Arabica Coffee. Colombian Supremo is an excellent medium blend. Bean to Cup coffee machines from DeLonghi are on sale at Central Plaza locations. These make perfect coffee to taste with great convenience but at 4 times the price you get one from Europe. It's almost worth making a special trip back Home just to buy one.

using a vacuum container to store coffee helps prolong freshness. keep in refrigerator also important.  not freezer.

Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 14.15.44.png

On 7/4/2019 at 9:08 AM, sfokevin said:

Hillkoff has a selection of grinders - But I was just in there yesterday and they look to be downsizing?... lots of empty space?... The other location where they do repairs might have more stock too...

Here is the grinder I have... Great little grinder that can easily grind espresso grind...

https://shop.bluekoff.com/ProductList.aspx?cat=114&iscoffee=Y

This it a small place tucked away along the Ping River just north of the city... I don’t care for their coffee and it has mainly a selection of VERY expensive machine (with the accepting of the grinder I showed above) but I recommend everyone to go just to see a high tech espresso machine in action!...

My Setup...

A3942339-6B9E-4430-B1F4-1D514E47E849.jpeg

Hillkoff certainly isn't downsizing, although they may have moved a lot of things to their main branch which is next to Amway on Mahidol Road.  In addition to some very good coffee, they've got everything you could possibly imagine to roast, grind, brew and serve it in whatever way you prefer.  Inexpensive Italian style stove top percolators and simple French Presses to the most spectacular commercial machines are all on display.  French Roast is a good blend for my taste.

Hillkoff.JPG

Edited by Greenside
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 6:03 PM, SometimezaGreatNotion said:

"Should You Store Your Coffee Beans In The Freezer?"

https://www.javapresse.com/blogs/enjoying-coffee/coffee-beans-in-the-freezer

no because of the negative effects of ice crystal formation. most aficionado and barista sites cite freezer as a no no  some argue in an airtight container in freezer

Edited by atyclb

• 1 month later...

I did not know a place like this existed in Chiang Mai - or anywhere for that matter - until I saw this thread. I have been getting my equipment from outside, but there was no need for it.

I visited the Hillkoff store next to Amway yesterday, and was amazed at the collection they have.

Unfortunately, they don't have a cafe so I cannot try their coffees before deciding which one I like. So it will be a long process of buying the small pack and trying it out. Maybe I can decide after one or two attempts - either way.

I generally don't like Thai grown and packaged coffees, so it could be that Hillkoff will be a place for occasional visits, to look at their collection, or buy something if needed. But I will certainly try a few of their more recommended coffees.

In the meantime, if someone has extensive experience with their product, do they have a coffee that is a mocca, or resembles one?

When flying form Vientiane I get a couple bags of coffee beans at the airport. The quality is really good and the price is $~18 (maybe less) for 1 kilo. 

IMG_20190901_065509.jpg

IMG_20190901_065852.jpg

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

I drank Sumatra Mandheling for years until I discovered Kona coffee on a trip to Hawaii. Never have I had such a rich tasting coffee like Kona. The price is stratospheric at ~$35/lb. in Hawaii and closer to $50/lb. after shipping elsewhere in the world, but it is the one indulgence I allow myself, only drinking one espresso per day, maybe two on rare occasions. I had some really good coffee in Luang Prabang, but I don't remember the brand. I was really surprised by how good it was. I use a Rancilio Rocky burr grinder and a Breville BES840XL machine. I have a Rancilio Silvia with the PED, but it has developed a short and shocks me if I touch it. I think the Breville makes a better cuppa. Taste is a very subjective thing, but I personally like very rich and nutty as opposed to smooth when it comes to coffee.

8 hours ago, Wandr said:

I did not know a place like this existed in Chiang Mai - or anywhere for that matter - until I saw this thread. I have been getting my equipment from outside, but there was no need for it.

I visited the Hillkoff store next to Amway yesterday, and was amazed at the collection they have.

Unfortunately, they don't have a cafe so I cannot try their coffees before deciding which one I like. So it will be a long process of buying the small pack and trying it out. Maybe I can decide after one or two attempts - either way.

I generally don't like Thai grown and packaged coffees, so it could be that Hillkoff will be a place for occasional visits, to look at their collection, or buy something if needed. But I will certainly try a few of their more recommended coffees.

In the meantime, if someone has extensive experience with their product, do they have a coffee that is a mocca, or resembles one?

They do have a cafe right next door to the entrance to the shop although I've never used it so I don't know if you can specify a blend other than the ones they have loaded up, as it were.  They certainly have a Mocha coffee beans but I haven't tried it and they'll grind a small bag (250gm) if you ask them.  My favourite is French Roast.

• Like 1

I think there is a big difference for folks that drink coffee black & those that use cream/sugar etc

If drinking black I think once most try the lighter (freshly roasted) types they will be convinced

Beans like what Starbux uses or DuangDee & yes even most Kona coffees are dark roast aka: roasted beyond 1st crack

Coffee beans are kind of like popcorn ????

When roasting they crack (pop) to what degree they are roasted makes a giant difference in final taste

If you see the beans in the coffee shop grinder like Starbux...look wet/oily that is beans that have been roasted well beyond first crack

So go try a cup at place like I mentioned earlier to see what these lighter roasts taste like

Taste them black or even as a Cappuccino or Latte without any sugar ...You might really like it

Of course if you like espresso these are heavenly as an espresso ????

Edited by mania

Years of living in San Francisco spoiled me for good coffee. Moved to Thailand and found that BonCafe's Mocca was affordable and very suitable. Medium roast, rich, very moderate acidity. I make it quite strong.

Now I am forced to drink decaf coffee only, and my only choice (in Pattaya anyway) is BonCafe's Decaffeinated blend. It isn't bad but it isn't great. Also expensive and not Swiss water processed. 

That's what I use now, Bons mocca. There is also a Vietnamese packaged coffee that is good. They don't say it is a mocca, but I think it is similar. I buy it in a restaurant.

I prefer Peets- Major Dickason or the mocca - but what I bring back lasts a month. Peets is a specialty California coffee, for those not familiar with it.