Best value coffee beans or ground

If you are a coffee fanatic like me, check out Hillkoff Coffee (in Chiang Mai).  Thai Black is my favorite.  ALl beans are fresh roasted daily, and the coffee is rich and delicious...and very fairly priced (230 baht for 500g).  See their website at hillkoff.com.  You can order from anywhere in Thailand very cheaply, or from anywhere in the world for that matter.

The "brick and mortar" store in Chiang Mai is a real treat where you can find everything imaginable related to coffee from simple high quality paper filters to the most elaborate espresso machines, grinders, and all sorts of other coffee making paraphernalia you can imagine. 

They carry a truly eclectic range of items not just limited to coffee, but ice cream making machines and products, all sorts of unusual grocery items, even cash registers LOL!  They' really aimed at serving coffee houses and restaurants, but open to the public for retail purchasing as well.   It's fun just walking around in the warehouse-style store ????

Believe me, when I moved to Chiang Mai, I must have tried a dozen different sources for decent coffee beans without being too happy about any of them.  Hillkoff is wonderful!  All of their coffee beans (and grinds) are absolutely premium quality.  IMO it's better than any of the over priced mountain beans from Chiang Rai!  So glad somebody else here on ThaiVisa mentioned this hidden gem in Chiang Mai!

Outside of Chiang Mai, you can order on Line the App (2 day delivery anywhere in Thailand by Kerry for 100 baht) or you can even order on Lazada now.

Here's a sampling:

1050029552_snapshot_2019-09-05at9_13_20AM.jpg.a821474e6d74d541b5406e2983c35f97.jpg

And here is there "Thai-Glish" description (LOL):

1601807957_snapshot_2019-09-05at9_12_29AM.jpg.a9491d27207efcaff3d842adc3957380.jpg

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

If you are a coffee fanatic like me, check out Hillkoff Coffee (in Chiang Mai).  Thai Black is fresh roasted daily beans, and the coffee is rich and delicious...and very fairly priced (230 baht for 500g).  In addition to Thai Black, they do a bunch of other beans.  See the website at hillkoff.com. 

The "brick and mortar" store in Chiang Mai is a real treat where you can find everything imaginable related to coffee from simple high quality paper filters to the most elaborate espresso machines and other coffee making paraphernalia you can imagine.  It's fun just walking around in the warehouse-style store ????

Believe me, when I moved to Chiang Mai, I must have tried a dozen different sources for decent coffee beans without being too happy about any of them.  Hillkoff is wonderful!  All of their coffee beans (and grinds) are absolutely premium quality.  IMO it's better than any of the over priced mountain beans from Chiang Rai! 

Outside of Chiang Mai, you can order on Line the App (delivered anywhere in Thailand by Kerry for 100 baht) or you can even order on Lazada now.

Here's a sampling:

1050029552_snapshot_2019-09-05at9_13_20AM.jpg.a821474e6d74d541b5406e2983c35f97.jpg

Would you happen to know if the Black/Thai has a 'bigger' flavor than the Roasted Italian? I usually drink a Kona espresso roast, so really like a very rich, big flavor, but would like to find a decent alternative because of the cost.

Edited by GalaxyMan

13 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Would you happen to know if the Black/Thai has a 'bigger' flavor than the Roasted Italian? I usually drink a Kona espresso roast, so really like a very rich, big flavor, but would like to find a decent alternative because of the cost.

Yes I think it has a richer taste than Italian.  I like their Italian Roast, and their French Roast, but I think the Black Thai is the richest by far. 

I have had genuine Kona Roast when I was in Hawaii and it may not be up to that standard, but VERY close, and for the price, it's an outstanding value I think. 

Hey, it will only cost you a couple hundred baht to find out for yourself; order a 250 gram bag maybe ?  I think you'll be a happy camper ????

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

lived in hawaii for many years from nyc where used to drink italy roasted coffee as well as single origin.

kona imo is not special but specially overpriced. usually bitter.  jj mall bangkok has store selling south america, africa, indonesia origin coffee reasonable  price. 

coffee is subjective as some love nescafe red

Edited by atyclb

7 minutes ago, atyclb said:

lived in hawaii for many years from nyc where used to drink italy roasted coffee as well as single origin.

kona imo is not special but specially overpriced. usually bitter.  jj mall bangkok has store selling south america, africa, indonesia origin coffee reasonable  price. 

coffee is subjective as some love nescafe red

If you think Kona is bitter or not VERY special, you have not had genuine Kona.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

If you think Kona is bitter or not VERY special, you have not have genuine Kona.

I have friends who grow coffee in Pahala, just outside (east) the official demarcation for true 'Kona' coffee. They roast it espresso for me and it's still the best mouthful of coffee I've ever tasted, hands down.

Edited by GalaxyMan

Kona really is in a class all its' own IMO.  Hilkoff Thai Black is not in that class but it's right up there at the top as far as I'm concerned.  What I really like about Black Thai is how oily the beans are.

Now, how about Vietnamese coffee?  I've never been to VIetnam but planning to visit soon, and everybody who's been there says their coffee is seriously some of the best in the world!  Anybody care to chime in on this...like best brands, best places to buy, etc???  I'm going to be in Da Nang.

Edited by WaveHunter

33 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

I have friends who grow coffee in Pahala, just outside (east) the official demarcation for true 'Kona' coffee. They roast it espresso for me and it's still the best mouthful of coffee I've ever tasted, hands down.

kona coffee is mainly tourist marketing hype because it grows in hawaii

• Haha 2

• 5 months later...

Hm... What about Starbucks coffee beans? You can buy them and try new ways to cook Starbucks coffee. I have my own recipes, which are more delicious(in my and my friend's opinion) than the original Starbucks coffee. Recommend to try it

• Haha 1

On 2/21/2020 at 12:43 PM, Aliastar said:

Hm... What about Starbucks coffee beans? You can buy them and try new ways to cook Starbucks coffee. I have my own recipes, which are more delicious(in my and my friend's opinion) than the original Starbucks coffee. Recommend to try it

I do like their Pike Place beans

On 2/22/2020 at 1:15 PM, canopus1969 said:

I do like their Pike Place beans

Me too ????  Guatemala Antigua and Komodo Dragon are my favorite beans. If you're a fan of Starbucks beans too, I can share this list with you. If I understand correctly, they sometimes update this page, because 2 month ago there was top 5 Starbucks coffee beans, but now 11. 

17 hours ago, Aliastar said:

Me too ????  Guatemala Antigua and Komodo Dragon are my favorite beans. If you're a fan of Starbucks beans too, I can share this list with you. If I understand correctly, they sometimes update this page, because 2 month ago there was top 5 Starbucks coffee beans, but now 11. 

Interesting, thanks

My two cents (worth about a penny). I have a Breville espresso machine to make my coffee. For a long time, I have been drinking Hillkopf French and Italian roast Arabica beans. But I was never that satisfied but since Arabica is the "best" and the shop is so close to my house, I stuck with it. I've had the Peaberry, I've had the Black Thai, City, etc... I was never that satisfied but the price is very reasonable and I just figured well the heck with it. Anyway, long story short, for the last month or two I have been drinking their Supremo roast (might be named "Supreme" and not "Supremo"...can't remember but it's a black bag) which is actually a Robusta bean and only 80 baht for 250g. It is delicious....smooth, rich, and I want to say with kind of a chocolatey/mocca taste. No bitterness in my case. I was amazed at how much smoother and richer tasting than the Arabica they have on offer especially since Robusta is supposed to be inferior. Your mileage may vary but I am finding it delicious and far better than all the above Arabica roasts I mentioned.

Edited by bamboozled

I'll reiterate what I said before.  In Thailand I think the best value for outstanding coffee beans is from Hillkoff Coffee based in Chiang Mai.  Yo can actually order it from anywhere in Thailand and it will be delivered by Kerry in just a few days.

It is 230 baht for a 500g bag of beans which is a really decent price for the level of quality you get.  I like their Black Thai variety.  It's a very rich, full body (much more so than French Roast), and the beans are real oily which I love ????

Check out their website at hillkoff.com.  Note: Their website is under re-construction so you'll need to click through to their temporary site when you click this link.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

Pardon me for bringing this up again, but if anyone knows of a decaf coffee in Thailand other than BonCafe, please let me know. Theirs is good but I'd like some variety. 

Try Hillkoff; they have everything you could want, highest quality and fairly priced (230 baht for 500 grams), whole beans or ground according to your specifications.  Based in Chiang Mai and they deliver throughout Thailand (150 baht delivery charge) and received in 3 days.  hillkoff.com

I am truly addicted to their coffee ????

If you happen to be in Pattaya, and want to buy fresh roasted on the spot, then Benjamit Coffee Roaster is great, though slightly more expensive than Hillkoff.

https://goo.gl/maps/8TW4d2QScLyytrto8

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

Hillkoff and Benjamit sell decaf ?

I am pretty sure they do, not 100% sure since I have no interest in it, but a quick visit to Hillkoff website or phone call to either would confirm it.  Both have fluent english speaking staff.

• 11 months later...
On 8/28/2019 at 10:38 AM, SometimezaGreatNotion said:

My setup - hand grinder and coffee/tea steeper that releases the coffee when set on a cup:

IMG_20190828_112610.thumb.jpg.f40a5db81989f33c31c177c1655907f6.jpg

I tend to think that bad coffee beans is grounds for divorce.

The taste is not like from a coffee machine, but I prefer doing this way too.????

• Like 1

Best I have found after trying many is Nam Phu via Lazada- post free. 150bht/250gm. I get dark roast. Order day 1 roasted day 2, deliver to Chiang Mai Day 3. Deep flavour and no acidity. fresh organic arabica. Perfect for me. Has good website too

4 hours ago, beau thai said:

Best I have found after trying many is Nam Phu via Lazada- post free. 150bht/250gm. I get dark roast. Order day 1 roasted day 2, deliver to Chiang Mai Day 3. Deep flavour and no acidity. fresh organic arabica. Perfect for me. Has good website too

That's quite expensive, I enjoy these beans 500gm - 195Baht

https://www.lazada.co.th//products/i339394212-s657824186.html?spm=a2o4m.cart.0.0.74ac6108Rvs2UE&urlFlag=true

• Like 1

20 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

135bht/250gm incl delivery so not so different, and a robusta blend. Maybe I will stick with my freshly roasted organic arabica from Nam Phu.

28 minutes ago, beau thai said:

135bht/250gm incl delivery so not so different, and a robusta blend. Maybe I will stick with my freshly roasted organic arabica from Nam Phu.

Yes do try, you will find the arabica  beans superior to the rombusta

2 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Yes do try, you will find the arabica  beans superior to the rombusta

yes, exactly why I chose the Nam Phu arabica over your Rativa Blended robusta. But happy you like it. everyone's taste and preference is different.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...