BANGKOK 23 July 2019 23:28
SometimezaGreatNotion

Best value coffee beans or ground

Coffee expensive in T'land?  I cannot agree. Any import coffee subject to high tax, transport charges, etc.  Local grown, CM Province, Arabica coffee is of good quality and well priced, for me.

I always, nearly so, go to Hillkopf and snap up a 500 gram bag of beans and have the shop grind it.  Often i choose a different variety or roast i've not tried before  to vary my experience but i always choose grind #11. The bag lasts about 1 month.

Supermarket ground coffee always too finely ground for my needs so i get the beans ground up to fat particles. Keep the cost low, avoid machines and filter papers; make the coffee fast, simple and hot every morning. 

Dump the wet grounds into the toilet.  

Let me also say that, in general, we folks of habit can habituate to any taste so if your taste is high cost, slow, and cold morning coffee, so be it. 

11 hours ago, hawksway said:

Coffee, once ground, deteriorates much more quickly than roasted, which in my experience, will last and keeps its flavour for up to 6 Months, especially if you use a zip lock bag and store in the fridge. Coffee is expensive in Thailand and its quality is highly variable. If you go Home to Europe for a spell, do buy a kilogram or two of a decent quality Arabica Coffee. Colombian Supremo is an excellent medium blend. Bean to Cup coffee machines from DeLonghi are on sale at Central Plaza locations. These make perfect coffee to taste with great convenience but at 4 times the price you get one from Europe. It's almost worth making a special trip back Home just to buy one.

using a vacuum container to store coffee helps prolong freshness. keep in refrigerator also important.  not freezer.

Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 14.15.44.png

Posted (edited)
On 7/4/2019 at 9:08 AM, sfokevin said:

Hillkoff has a selection of grinders - But I was just in there yesterday and they look to be downsizing?... lots of empty space?... The other location where they do repairs might have more stock too...

Here is the grinder I have... Great little grinder that can easily grind espresso grind...

https://shop.bluekoff.com/ProductList.aspx?cat=114&iscoffee=Y

This it a small place tucked away along the Ping River just north of the city... I don’t care for their coffee and it has mainly a selection of VERY expensive machine (with the accepting of the grinder I showed above) but I recommend everyone to go just to see a high tech espresso machine in action!...

My Setup...

A3942339-6B9E-4430-B1F4-1D514E47E849.jpeg

Hillkoff certainly isn't downsizing, although they may have moved a lot of things to their main branch which is next to Amway on Mahidol Road.  In addition to some very good coffee, they've got everything you could possibly imagine to roast, grind, brew and serve it in whatever way you prefer.  Inexpensive Italian style stove top percolators and simple French Presses to the most spectacular commercial machines are all on display.  French Roast is a good blend for my taste.

Hillkoff.JPG

Edited by Greenside

Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2019 at 6:03 PM, SometimezaGreatNotion said:

"Should You Store Your Coffee Beans In The Freezer?"

https://www.javapresse.com/blogs/enjoying-coffee/coffee-beans-in-the-freezer

no because of the negative effects of ice crystal formation. most aficionado and barista sites cite freezer as a no no  some argue in an airtight container in freezer

Edited by atyclb

i came across a very different and interesting coffee bean. they use what is called an anaerobic process prior to roasting.  the beans have a grapefruit like aroma in addition to coffee aroma.  pulled shots of espresso that need no sugar. coffe with hint of grapefruit. not cheap at 260 baht for 200 grams

very nice and supposedly thai beans.

IMG_20190712_125427.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 01.25.20.png