Terrible Dubbing In Thai TV

Pilotman

It's no wonder Thai people can't learn anything useful from foreign made programmes on Thai TV, the dubbing of these programmes is inaccurate, incomplete and in the case of movies, destroys the very essence of the film. They even dub nature programmes with stupid phrases and irrelevant dialogue and even with my limited facility in Thai, I can tell that the dubbed version is not at all accurate to the original.  And seeing Tom Cruise dubbed out by some over macho, deep voiced 'actor' is hilarious, if it wasn't so pointless. If they have to dub everything, they need to put in subtitles in the original language, so that those that can understand, be in English, Korean or Chinese, get the real dialogue.     

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

macho, deep voiced 'actor'

Sound like they roll a hot potato in the throat. So laughable :biggrin:

ThaiTV can hardly be undercut.

Their "funny noises" for every punchline are nerve wracking.

No show without at least one kathoey sissy.

Love it or hate it.

They call the  dubbed voice    the "Handsome voice"  I'm convinced there are only two voice over artists  1 male and one female  who do everything  they must be worked to death ! ????   ah hooyyyyy.

I agree the Thai overdubs are totally useless, wifey won't watch the dubbed programmes.

Believe it or not, I have seen worse!

Way (way, way) back when satellite TV was young and analogue we used to be able to receive all sorts of European stuff from the Astra satellites (where Sky TV lives). One of the channels was IIRC Polsat a Polish channel. They had a lot of English programming, but overdubbed into Polish by a chap who I assume used to work for the UN. 

He did a simultaneous translation of ALL the characters (male and female) and read out any on screen text (letters and the like). He did all this in dead-pan monotone, no emotion whatever (which is why I think he was from the UN). It was hillarious even for those who don't speak Polish, just imagine a hot love scene "ooh ah baby that is good, do it some more" in an emotionless dead-pan. My Polish friends said it was totally useless and would have been better left in original language (as would most dubs).

Those were the days. Anyone remebmer Tutti-Frutti?

31 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Anyone remebmer Tutti-Frutti?

Yes  I remember it, one of the Italian  channels ( Rai Uno ? ) had a similar program  but there was better entertainment on Filmnet and Tv1000

Tv1000 was normally  uplinked from London  but at midnight before they could show the "good stuff" they had to switch uplink to one of the Scandinavian countries ( Sweden or Denmark ) quite often the switch over failed   ( see the switchover in the below  video, signal disappears  into snow then  comes back  scrambled for a while  before the D2Mac decoder re assembled the stream )

Archived