Foreign man dies after falling from Pattaya condo

webfact

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

stay at view talq 6 all the time when in patts, the balcony handrails are far above any safty regs for adults. not for kids as they could fit through the lower rails, i am an ex building certifier so i know what i am talking about, i at my stage of life have looked at the landing sites there, and they are good,  this guy has gone to the gararge side and jumped, it will be my choice too flat concrete , no people, if a higher level was not availalable, bad luck, 11 may have been his number, well done mate , sleep well !

1 hour ago, Gandtee said:

Another member of the FFFFC, Farang Free Fall Flying Club. RIP

You're Hilarious...Never herd that before!  You should modify it to "Thailand" Farang Free Fall Flying Club....TFFFFC.  Much more specific, and appropriate since it happens almost constantly in Thailand.  Its like the best ride available,  The thrill is beyond any money could buy.  ???? 

5 hours ago, mercman24 said:

that pic the same as my railings, it would be hard to fall over them. i am 5-11..

The problem can be if you lean over them to get a better view.  The bulk of your weight can be on the wrong side of the rail.

5 minutes ago, rwill said:

The problem can be if you lean over them to get a better view.  The bulk of your weight can be on the wrong side of the rail.

A better view of the ground? why get a high rise if you wanna look at the ground?

2 minutes ago, Bipolar said:

RIP To the poor guy and condolences to his next of kin. Anybody outsider who see how people stay at View Talay projects would definitely be depressed and sad and might make them suicidal. View Talay projects are like modern contemporary slums! I once visited somebody there and was shocked to see humans living in such conditions, the unist are like shoeboxes and the common areas were filthy , stained walls, smelly corridors, hair in the lifts etc and noisy. Real sad that the world is not an equal place.

I think mr Bipolar you are off your meds. 

I have never heard of so many people jumping or falling to their deaths from buildings in my life life. Before I moved to Thailand I spent two years in New York City. I have often thought, well perhaps this is how issues are handled here if you get caught up in things one should not be caught up in? Who knows, but it aint normal, and thats that...and dont even try to argue with me! Nevermind, go ahead if you must!

2 hours ago, rwill said:

Be aware of your centre of gravity at all times . 

More so in pattaya ..

3 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

I have never heard of so many people jumping or falling to their deaths from buildings in my life life. Before I moved to Thailand I spent two years in New York City. I have often thought, well perhaps this is how issues are handled here if you get caught up in things one should not be caught up in? Who knows, but it aint normal, and thats that...and dont even try to argue with me! Nevermind, go ahead if you must!

That's my point!!! Thank you for saying that....Its a constant event in Thailand along with road mortality.  It's stupid, crazy, and hilarious....I just laugh at how frequent it is. 

On my last trip to Pattaya my hotel room had a small balcony with a railing that was too low for my liking. I'm sure it was up to "safety standards" but if so those "safety" standards don't account for tall people. I'm 6' and I'm pretty sure I could easily fall looking over it drunk as it barely reached my waist. Standards aside - why don't they just build them higher and avoid all these accidents (or suicides, or murders)? Especially on higher floors...

No witnesses? He was looking at a room and then decided to jump?  Could be a suicide, could be something else. As always we will never hear the outcome. 

This is just the ones we hear about reported in the media, what about the others.

As an example, there are apparently 10 suicides a day ! in Thailand,.4000 a year !

https://ethailand.com/breaking-news/thailand-third-most-suicides-world/1627/

Foreigners average close to one a week ! according this info:

https://www.farang-deaths.com/statistics/

16 hours ago, flynn said:

I am sure the person who was showing him the condo can shed some light on it ,

I thought so too.... I do not want to appear callous or flippant but I got a thought of 'where is the sea view you advertise it as having?' 'You have to stand on this rail and lean forward to look around the corner'..... 

My wife is saying its all over Thai media/social media that it was a planned suicide, quotes from the condo staff etc,  apparently the guy asked to see condo on a high floor and said sorry then jumped.

Just looked up the UK building regs, for external balustrades 1.1m Minimum. 

Even if not covered by building regs there is commonsense.

like:

• No horizontal frame work that could be used to climb over
  • No gaps wider than 100mm
  • if glazed Toughened and Laminated minimum thickness 10mm

When I had a condo I was always worried if (when) the balcony light needed changing.

You could write a book about all the foreign deaths and incidents at the View Talay apartment complex.

How many are their now ? Atleast

6 obviously.

They've been constantly in the news for many years.

The early VT towers were once known as Rock Spider canyon.

My wife is saying its all over Thai media/social media that it was a planned suicide, quotes from the condo staff etc,  apparently the guy asked to see condo on a high floor and said sorry then jumped.

If that’s the case ( and seems very likely IMO ) then:

Wish he had taken a different route, plunging from a condo balcony can leave anyone witnessing this , or the aftermath, with severe trauma.
But, imo, anyone considering suicide is suffering in one way or another, not thinking straight or considering others feelings.

RIP fella, condolences to family and friends

Have to say i've been very flippant in the past with regard to these so-called 'jumpers' and 'murder victims' however,not so much now as i had an epileptic fit a couple of months ago and ended up leaning over the balcony before i came round,thankfully my phone was the only 'jumper' or 'murder victim' on this occasion...bottom floor only for me from now on.

On July 5, 2019 at 3:33 AM, PingRoundTheWorld said:

On my last trip to Pattaya my hotel room had a small balcony with a railing that was too low for my liking. I'm sure it was up to "safety standards" but if so those "safety" standards don't account for tall people. I'm 6' and I'm pretty sure I could easily fall looking over it drunk as it barely reached my waist. Standards aside - why don't they just build them higher and avoid all these accidents (or suicides, or murders)? Especially on higher floors...

because they don't need to be higher and it looks bad, you could still murder/suicide.. excessive 'rules' like what you are suggesting are called 'nanny society laws' people can just not be idiots and not lean over the bars.. If it were an accident, he was probably leaning over to look at some of the neighbors balconys 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

For those particular worried or are seriously Health and Safety conscious, I suggest fitting a safety harness which must be worn  at all times by those on their balconies. 

Or build em like this 

41AC280C-685F-4314-82EA-7E4FDC1015C6.png

Archived