Can anyone recommend a friendly (cheap) bar like Gekko?

leonardjones625

9 hours ago, elektrified said:

I think you may be a little out of touch with what the younger generation (25-38 year olds) earn nowadays. The wife's cousin was making 20K when she was 19. No, not salary of course but commissions off the Chinese and sales, Internet work  etc. Have you seen how many packages internet sellers ship every day at the P.O.? My friend told me his 24 y/o daughter makes a profit of 30K per month selling clothes on FB Live. Things have really changed and young people have more cash to buy expensive motorbikes and cars, go on nice vacations, drink in expensive bars, etc.

Mates wife selling online.. Started less than 2 years ago.. 60 plus easy.. racing up to 100.. But she does work very hard at it.. 

Friend of the wife.. a cook !!! Gets 30k plus shared tips, a good month will see her into the 40k even maybe touch 50.. Shes a self taught cook !! 

Another friend of the wife, very casually manages a shop for a farang, shes 100% trustworthy and doesnt steal at all.. Shes on a salary and % of sales that puts her north of 50 and in high season might even be up to 70. 

Mate needed a nanny for his daughter, the package free time, free car, free food, free accomodation and BIG salary.. 

Not one of these is college educated. I would have said / guessed none of these were over 15 or 20k 7 - 10 years ago. 

College educated secretary / PA / Researcher.. One thats smart and speaks english.. starting 40, rising.. And thats not bangkok either. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Mates wife selling online.. Started less than 2 years ago.. 60 plus easy.. racing up to 100.. But she does work very hard at it.. 

Friend of the wife.. a cook !!! Gets 30k plus shared tips, a good month will see her into the 40k even maybe touch 50.. Shes a self taught cook !! 

Another friend of the wife, very casually manages a shop for a farang, shes 100% trustworthy and doesnt steal at all.. Shes on a salary and % of sales that puts her north of 50 and in high season might even be up to 70. 

Mate needed a nanny for his daughter, the package free time, free car, free food, free accomodation and BIG salary.. 

Not one of these is college educated. I would have said / guessed none of these were over 15 or 20k 7 - 10 years ago. 

College educated secretary / PA / Researcher.. One thats smart and speaks english.. starting 40, rising.. And thats not bangkok either. 

That is my observation as well. A lot has changed in 10 years.

7 hours ago, stament said:

At last back to the topic. Never heard of it any feedback on food etc?

It's a tiny place with fast turnover, tourist oriented.  Have only had their burgers, they are very good with home made fries. Later evenings may be suitable for hanging out and having a few beers. The owner I think his name is Ben is a friendly young chap that really seems to care about the customers.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:17 PM, leonardjones625 said:

Gekko garden is good about their drink prices, but I'm struggling to think of any farang spots that matches their prices.

Gekko is about as farang as any place would be. What exactly are you looking for that Gekko doesn't have?

On 7/14/2019 at 8:07 AM, LivinLOS said:

she must have taken the digital nomads course...but the reality is per capita income is 9400 thb per month in LOS, and you would have to hunt to find a place in the US where it isn't at least five times higher, and even a place like the dc area, where it is 10 times more, the vast majority, 99%+ are not spending 10 bucks or 300 THB  for a beer.

14 hours ago, daoyai said:

It's a tiny place with fast turnover, tourist oriented.  Have only had their burgers, they are very good with home made fries. Later evenings may be suitable for hanging out and having a few beers. The owner I think his name is Ben is a friendly young chap that really seems to care about the customers.

Isnt the owner called Ugo ?

10 hours ago, moontang said:

she must have taken the digital nomads course...but the reality is per capita income is 9400 thb per month in LOS, and you would have to hunt to find a place in the US where it isn't at least five times higher, and even a place like the dc area, where it is 10 times more, the vast majority, 99%+ are not spending 10 bucks or 300 THB  for a beer.

9400 is barely minimum wage.. 

When was the last time you actually tried to employ anyone with any intelligence or skill ?? 

On 7/17/2019 at 8:12 PM, moontang said:

And now for some reality.

Even if a couple was earning 18,800 per month using your number, they could not survive considering the rising cost of living. With 2 kids in an average school with a little English taught, tuition would be around 32,000 Baht per term for both kids, then the car payment, house payment, insurance, internet, gas for the vehicles, etc., etc. It's just not possible. I don't know anyone who lives on that. Even my housekeeper makes at least 12K per month and owns her home. Our gardener - over 40K (of course not salary - just saying). I agree with you that the "base salary" is low, but Thai people don't just earn base salary. For example my wife's friend works in a 4 or 5 star hotel. Her "base salary" is very low - like 12 or 13K. But then there is the 10% service charge that the employees split and during high season that often is the same as, or exceeds the "base salary". Then there are tips, commissions on sales of products and services, something they call "incentive" (I'm not sure what it is but it amounts to another 2K or so per month). So when you ask the lady what she makes, she will say 12K salary, but it really amounts to more like 25-30K per month. Other people sell stuff on-line or at weekend/night markets, or they sell life insurance, etc. to supplement their income. One kid we know has a so so job of around 15K but makes the real money doing internet marketing for clients which probably brings his income up to more like 30K.

So I do agree with you that the actual salaries are often low - but that is not the complete picture. As far as the cost of beer, Thai people often over-spend on food on drinks. It's just part of the culture and dining out and drinking, socializing with friends is something they enjoy - at any cost.

post-137452-0-56132400-1445416080_thumb.jpg

Archived