Why Thai Isaan women marry Western men

Someone wrote a dissertation about Isaan women marry Western men: "these marriages are situated in the processes of social transition and reproduction in the face of local-global encounters, in which gender, class, lifestyles, norms and practices regarding marriage and family are put to severe test, along with imaginings about a better life for all concerned.”

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/article/3016519/western-men-who-marry-thai-isaan-women-examined-love-money

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One just need read Tvisa on a daily basis to observe the stereotype insistence of those who are unable to increase their knowledge and understanding

For me the equation is simple

Has my life improved since meeting and marrying my Thai wife - yes - a transformation I would not have anticipated or thought possible

Has life for my wife improved since meeting and marrying me - I would like to think yes, but much harder for her to deal with the expectations of others. I am very proud of the way she has retained mutual core intentions, listened to, and provided, thoughtful and constructive advice, and brushes away the nonsensical inflammatory diatribe of some of the locals. My wife is special.

In my opinion people observe we make a good team, both benefit from our relationship, carry the same family and community values as any decent Thai, I think this helps us to be viewed as a 'normal couple' - but different ????

Just now, 473geo said:

One just need read Tvisa on a daily basis to observe the stereotype insistence of those who are unable to increase their knowledge and understanding

For me the equation is simple

Has my life improved since meeting and marrying my Thai wife - yes - a transformation I would not have anticipated or thought possible

Has life for my wife improved since meeting and marrying me - I would like to think yes, but much harder for her to deal with the expectations of others. I am very proud of the way she has retained mutual core intentions, listened to, and provided, thoughtful and constructive advice, and brushes away the nonsensical inflammatory diatribe of some of the locals. My wife is special.

In my opinion people observe we make a good team, both benefit from our relationship, carry the same family and community values as any decent Thai, I think this helps us to be viewed as a 'normal couple' - but different ????

I assume one of you has money and the other does not. Maybe one is a lot older too?  nothing wrong in this, it's an 'exchange', but if the power were not unbalanced guys from Farangland would not be able to find younger, beautiful girls to be with them. Again nothing 'wrong' in this as long as the situation is appreciated. I'm sure your wife is 'special' and good luck with it - enjoy the imbalance, who cares?  life is short.

9 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I assume one of you has money and the other does not. Maybe one is a lot older too?  nothing wrong in this, it's an 'exchange', but if the power were not unbalanced guys from Farangland would not be able to find younger, beautiful girls to be with them. Again nothing 'wrong' in this as long as the situation is appreciated. I'm sure your wife is 'special' and good luck with it - enjoy the imbalance, who cares?  life is short.

Well ,  you definitely are nominated for the post of the year that ASSUMES the most.   Great stuff !

Looking forward to your next installment on why Farang/ Farang marriages fail so often

Just now, rumak said:

Well ,  you definitely are nominated for the post of the year that ASSUMES the most.   Great stuff !

Oh most farang do not have more money?  most Thai girls are not a lot younger?  wow, I'm sorry for those terrible assumptions. Dang how did I get that wrong?

12 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Say something about Issan.  You're talking about anywhere.  

25 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

And it happens all over the world. I guess in average pretty Thai girls, at leas the brown and small girls, are cheaper than the blonde farang women. But the principle is exactly the same.

26 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

30 minutes ago, 473geo said:

For many Issan women...and many women around the world...it is the prospect of a stable relationship with a steady income that trumps youth and handsome men...

Helping fund their children's education, send a few baht to mamma, live in a safe neighborhood, and enjoy decent meals and entertainment are all part of the package...

I see it as a win-win situation...don't you?   ????

5 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

For many Issan women...and many women around the world...it is the prospect of a stable relationship with a steady income that trumps youth and handsome men...

Helping fund their children's education, send a few baht to mamma, live in a safe neighborhood, and enjoy decent meals and entertainment are all part of the package...

I see it as a win-win situation...don't you?   ????

i guess mine is different.  She wanted me cause I am a sexy man !   

This pseudo academic study talks in circles around and tries to add nuance to what is still most often an age old quid pro quo exchange of financial support for sexual companionship. If the 'obligation' in the title 'Love, Money, and Obligation' refers to the wife's financial obligation to her family, two out of the three principal motivations she identifies for Isaan women marrying foreign men would appear to be pecuniary in nature. You like them odds?

The one interesting observation I found in the article was about how Thai women marrying foreign men can disrupt the established pecking order in a village because of their newfound affluence. This is something which I agree foreign men moving to villages need to be aware of. But the author's suggestion that marriage to a foreign man will automatically confer higher status may be a little out-of-date.

As living standards in Isaan have crept up, and shrinking pensions and less favorable currency exchange rates have adversely hit foreigner's purchasing power, that higher status can sometimes prove to be elusive, much to the chagrin, I suspect, of more than a few village girls. For example, a Thai family today with two wage earners might easily be able to rival a foreigner's 35,000-45,000 baht monthly fixed income.

quid pro quo,  go with the flow, you reap what you sow,  she ain't no ho , take it easy bro

its all show , how do you know,  no mo money,  out you go 

sorry............... 

good post G 123

24 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

This pseudo academic study talks in circles around and tries to add nuance to what is still most often an age old quid pro quo exchange of financial support in exchange for sexual companionship. If the 'obligation' in the title 'Love, Money, and Obligation' refers to the wife's financial obligation to her family, two out of the three principal motivations she identifies for Isaan women marrying foreign men would appear to be pecuniary in nature. You like them odds?

The one interesting observation I found in the article was about how Thai women marrying foreign men can disrupt the established pecking order in a village because of their newfound affluence. This is something which I agree foreign men moving to villages need to be aware of. But the author's suggestion that marriage to a foreign man will automatically confer higher status may be a little out-of-date.

As living standards in Isaan have crept up, and shrinking pensions and less favorable currency exchange rates have adversely hit foreigner's purchasing power, that higher status can sometimes prove to be elusive, much to the chagrin, I suspect, of more than a few village girls. For example, a Thai family today with two wage earners might easily be able to rival a foreigner's 35,000-45,000 baht monthly fixed income.

The need for sexual companionship can be met by the rental services - not to my way of thinking a major factor in choosing to marry an Issan girl

Having the opportunity to settle down in a quiet environment away from the noisy, fast moving, uncaring, impersonal, city life, with a wife to care for them, may well provide more stimulus for many, also the inexpensive home building in a peaceful rural environment another incentive. Good sex an appreciated bonus.

Disrupt the pecking order? spotted years ago!! If you were switched on!! The law prohibiting foreigners paying for land for the wife was surely a control to ensure not too much pecking order disruption. The aged heads of families retain most of the land titles and on a whim could sell off the family inheritance to strangers, that is the new danger for the young in Rural areas, so maybe the foreigner is still regarded as a good bet in a land rich cash poor arena.

Agreed the foreigner purchasing power has declined, but many residing in homes already built are in a slightly better financial position than the Thai city dwellers many migrated from the countryside, taking out a mortgage/owning land becomes a major attraction, prices have risen, as they too look towards retirement, and a little peace, including self sufficiency, not readily available in the cities.

the correct question SHOULD BE WHY ISAAN Girls are so pro in theier love marketing power ? what is it making isaan girls so pro  isaan girl are the best pro marketing for love farangs why ?do they provide 100% best sex play ?

19 minutes ago, thaiboss said:

the correct question SHOULD BE WHY ISAAN Girls are so pro in theier love marketing power ? what is it making isaan girls so pro  isaan girl are the best pro marketing for love farangs why ?do they provide 100% best sex play ?

Arrai Waa? Their love marketing power? Get off the Lhao Kao Hans! 

Learn to speak Thai , or they will cheat you , blindly, Im talking my friend, I love you so much, and look right in your eyes, then I found out my wife had Moobaan bf for the whole 7 years, I was going home every 4 months , 4 months on and off, , Gambling WS her other Curse, I know off topic , but don’t be a fool, never trust a brother or cousin, Bullcrap, pay for play , Now

Just now, Andrew Nelson said:

I have an Isaan girl (woman) and she never asks for money and is the kindest woman you would ever want to meet. I find it sad when people make sweeping generalizations. 

Comments you refer to are usually from those who were burnt or blokes listening to folk on bar stools...

The same reason most women get married on this planet; support, mostly financial, sometimes emotional. That's not to say that there aren't genuine love affairs, but I'd think that was the exception, not the norm. Doesn't matter whether it's Thailand or France or the USSA, it's still the SSDD. (Same Shiit, Different Day)

The right question should be "why SOME Isaan women marry farang guys?". 

Because Isaan women with a farang husband are a very small minority. 

I am the only farang, not only in the village, but also in all the villages around... and my wife is not the only young woman around, by far... 

The truth is that Isaan women are much more attracted to young Thai men than to older farangs, never mind the money. 

I know plenty of them and they have never thought once about looking for a farang. 

Settled in Issan...Issan girl found me...Very attentive to my every need...cooks great...good housekeeper and gardener...great companion...wonderful sleeping partner...loving and smiling...laughs a lot...love sports, news, and movies...has a 45 kilo body to die for...considerably younger...been together more than a year...

I consider my expenses well worth it...what the hell else would I spend it on?

Archived