Why Thai Isaan women marry Western men

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

You must never have been to Pattaya as your

comment is completely false.

Correct on one point, never been to Pattaya (I don't like tourist traps) but i have seen the new girl come in to a bar with no English skills, they have to learn fast. Or, as i said, need money fast. Girls playing the long game with English skills don't need bars.

I never needed the bargirl experience. I had candidates arranged before i ever set foot here. Bars were for drinking and people watching.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Ok thanks that is two.

Like I said, I would like to see the stats on it.

Maybe you are right I just have not seen it in my Isaan travels.

maybe you don't travel enough 555

5 hours ago, Tagged said:

Well, Im not sure where you living, but drinking, gambling and Yaba, is a serious matter for males in Isan. It destroys the villages totally, and seen it first hand, and delt with a few working for us. But there is good hard working men to, but there are few left in the villages. Those left in the villages, is those who have no places to go for work of different reasons. 

My family do not drink or gamble, and keep a low profile life, with no show off gold and land. Humble and nice, thats why I choosed to stay in first place. You do not only get the girl, you get the whole family as well, and therefor, know your family, and her friends before you make any further moves for the future. Should be mandatory for everyone who seeking happiness in Thailand. If family no good, then her problems will be your problems. 

About the language, I choose not to understand the language, of simplicity and Comfort. 

"You do not only get the girl, you get the whole family as well"

This is the best reason of all to rent and not buy. Who in their

right mind would want this?

1 minute ago, lensta said:

I could tell you many reasons for not renting, and many reasons for joining the family, but we have only our own experiences to fall back on, so, I let it be.

Some families is really worth it, 

5 minutes ago, lensta said:

My wife comes from a family that have always worked for the government - tax and land division and they still do.  They far more help to us than we to them.  There are teachers and nurses and doctors and engineers and police and soldiers and they all belong to well off middle class families who all have daughters looking to get married.  

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:52 PM, BobBKK said:

I assume one of you has money and the other does not. Maybe one is a lot older too?  nothing wrong in this, it's an 'exchange', but if the power were not unbalanced guys from Farangland would not be able to find younger, beautiful girls to be with them. Again nothing 'wrong' in this as long as the situation is appreciated. I'm sure your wife is 'special' and good luck with it - enjoy the imbalance, who cares?  life is short.

Maybe we should all ask Trump?

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

The word 'pickaninnies' was used with full awareness of its offensiveness. What you failed to appreciate, and might have picked up on if you had more carefully read my post, is that I attributed the comment to 'A Farang's Lament,'  in an effort to mock the neo-colonial superiority and racism of posters who have bought into the myth that they are here to rescue the local women from the local men.

And just to drive a certain poster into a further paroxysm of righteous indignation, the word "lament" in "A Farang's Lament" was chosen because it is a somewhat old-fashioned word, and evoked a colonial or antebellum era. I had in mind something along the lines of 'the white man's burden,' a phrase which implies that imperialism was motivated by a high-minded desire of whites to uplift people of color.

2 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

And just to drive a certain poster into a further paroxysm of righteous indignation, the word "lament" in "A Farang's Lament" was chosen because it is a somewhat old-fashioned word, and evoked a colonial or antebellum era. I had in mind something along the lines of 'the white man's burden,' a phrase which implies that imperialism was motivated by a high-minded desire of whites to uplift people of color.

You'd think a teacher would know better.  Your point was that Thai men get young Thai women pregnant and then leave.  The terms you used are repugnant.  

@marcusarelus

You keep bringing up that I've been a teacher. Well, let me put my professor hat on. Your problem is that you are not a careful reader. You latch on to emotionally charged buzz words and react to them which often prevents you from grasping the overall meaning of what is being said. This is not the first time this has been pointed out to you. I hope Johnny will work on this going forward.

On 7/4/2019 at 6:54 PM, Gecko123 said:

This pseudo academic study talks in circles around and tries to add nuance to what is still most often an age old quid pro quo exchange of financial support for sexual companionship. If the 'obligation' in the title 'Love, Money, and Obligation' refers to the wife's financial obligation to her family, two out of the three principal motivations she identifies for Isaan women marrying foreign men would appear to be pecuniary in nature. You like them odds?

The one interesting observation I found in the article was about how Thai women marrying foreign men can disrupt the established pecking order in a village because of their newfound affluence. This is something which I agree foreign men moving to villages need to be aware of. But the author's suggestion that marriage to a foreign man will automatically confer higher status may be a little out-of-date.

As living standards in Isaan have crept up, and shrinking pensions and less favorable currency exchange rates have adversely hit foreigner's purchasing power, that higher status can sometimes prove to be elusive, much to the chagrin, I suspect, of more than a few village girls. For example, a Thai family today with two wage earners might easily be able to rival a foreigner's 35,000-45,000 baht monthly fixed income.

Depends. Wages for blue-collar workers are still low in Thailand. But if you have two white-collar workers (including self-employed middle-class) then you're right in tendency. 

55 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

That's exactly the reason why so many Vietnam war veterans returned to South East Asia (Issan) 

And, really, those extended Issan families are not a burden at all. They are absolutely reliable if you have proven yourself to be reliable. 

21 minutes ago, micmichd said:

Depends. Wages for blue-collar workers are still low in Thailand. But if you have two white-collar workers (including self-employed middle-class) then you're right in tendency. 

I hear what you're saying, and many people trapped in poverty would jump at the chance to marry up. I surveyed market vendors in my area a few years back about how much they earned per month. One pork vendor couple reported 30K/month. My step-son in his mid twenties earns about 18K and step-daughter just starting out earns about 14K, both blue collar jobs.

50 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

'the white man's burden,' a phrase which implies that imperialism was motivated by a high-minded desire of whites to uplift people of color.

I think that, historically-speaking, people called it as they saw it. The concept of Political Correctness was nowhere to be found, fortunately. The idea that Imperialism was the reason that certain nations saw as their duty to uplift the "great unwashed" was really a euphemism which came in the wake of conquest.  There is no question, however, that colonialism and imperialism brought in its wake a number of western values to the subjected ones, and into which they were inculcated, for good or for evil, there  is an argument to be made on both sides.

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

@marcusarelus

You keep bringing up that I've been a teacher. Well, let me put my professor hat on. Your problem is that you are not a careful reader. You latch on to emotionally charged buzz words and react to them which often prevents you from grasping the overall meaning of what is being said. This is not the first time this has been pointed out to you. I hope Johnny will work on this going forward.

Your point was that Thai men get young Thai women pregnant and then leave.  Yes or no?

38 minutes ago, allanos said:

I think that, historically-speaking, people called it as they saw it. The concept of Political Correctness was nowhere to be found, fortunately. The idea that Imperialism was the reason that certain nations saw as their duty to uplift the "great unwashed" was really a euphemism which came in the wake of conquest.  There is no question, however, that colonialism and imperialism brought in its wake a number of western values to the subjected ones, and into which they were inculcated, for good or for evil, there  is an argument to be made on both sides.

And you can also throw religion into the mix of good and evil on previously untainted cultures.

9 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Your point was that Thai men get young Thai women pregnant and then leave.  Yes or no?

No. Absolutely not. If you go back and read the sequence of posts, I think you could figure this out for yourself, but I will explain it again one final time.

Post #39 (from another poster) bashed Thai men.

In response, my post #58 sarcastically "lamented" that Thai women seemed to only realize how worthless Thai men after they have had children with them. The main reason I wrote my post was to draw attention to the fact that most Thai women chose Thai men when they marry the first time, and often turn to older foreign men as alternatives only after the financial realities of single motherhood and limited earning power begin to sink in.

As I have previously pointed out, I attributed the "pickaninny" comment to a fictious poem "A Farang's Lament." This was done in an effort to make clear that the comment didn't reflect my feelings. I readily acknowledge that this was probably too oblique and fully understand why some interpreted my post in a way other than I intended. But as  soon as I realized this I quickly clarified several times in posts #65, #66, and #100 to make it abundantly clear that bashing Thai men was not my intent. I especially want to draw your attention to post #65, where I explicitly state: "the truth is...most Thai men are reasonably good husbands..." As I explained in an earlier post, the word "pickaninny", which everyone knows is offensive and carries painful racial conotations, was deliberately used to evoke bygone eras of colonialism and slavery when attitudes of inherent racial and cultural superiority were more deeply entrenched.

6 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

No. If you went back and read the sequence of posts, I think you could figure this out for yourself, but I will explain it again one final time.

Post #39 (from another poster) bashed Thai men.

In response, my post #58 sarcastically "lamented" that Thai women seemed to only realize how worthless Thai men after they have had children with them. The main reason I wrote my post was to draw attention to the fact that most Thai women chose Thai men when they marry the first time, and often turn to older foreign men as alternatives only after the financial realities of single motherhood and limited earning power begin to sink in.

As I have previously pointed out, I attributed the "pickaninny" comment to a fictious poem "A Farang's Lament." This was done in an effort to make clear that the comment didn't reflect my feelings. I readily acknowledge that this was probably too oblique and fully understand why some interpreted my post in a way other than I intended. But as  soon as I realized this I quickly clarified several times in posts #65, #66, and #100 to make it abundantly clear that bashing Thai men was not my intent. I especially want to draw your attention to post #65, where I explicitly state: "the truth is...most Thai men are reasonably good husbands..." As I explained in an earlier post, the word "pickaninny", which everyone knows is offensive and carries painful racial conotations, was deliberately used to evoke bygone eras of colonialism and slavery when attitudes of inherent racial and cultural superiority were more deeply entrenched.

You wrote, "The main reason I wrote my post was to draw attention to the fact that most Thai women chose Thai men when they marry the first time, and often turn to older foreign men as alternatives only after the financial realities of single motherhood and limited earning power begin to sink in."

Which means Thai men get young Thai women pregnant then leave.  You used a racist term to describe children.  

The rest of your post is nonsense.  

For some of us it’s not about humping around but actually try to do something good with our lives by helping a poor but honest family. “Renting”?? You do realise you are talking about real people right?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, luk AJ said:

For some of us it’s not about humping around but actually try to do something good with our lives by helping a poor but honest family. “Renting”?? You do realise you are talking about real people right?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Difficult to believe there are no poor but honest families in your country.  Why come to Thailand?  Thais in general certainly don't care about you.  Do something good at home where it is appreciated.  

21 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Settled in Issan...Issan girl found me...Very attentive to my every need...cooks great...good housekeeper and gardener...great companion...wonderful sleeping partner...loving and smiling...laughs a lot...love sports, news, and movies...has a 45 kilo body to die for...considerably younger...been together more than a year...

I consider my expenses well worth it...what the hell else would I spend it on?

Why buy a book when you can join a library? We live once. So spend it on library membership and have REAL fun.  

36 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Why buy a book when you can join a library? We live once. So spend it on library membership and have REAL fun.  

Been there!  Now I read the pages of a best seller...the book has been autographed and can not be loaned or sold...????

On 7/4/2019 at 7:52 PM, BobBKK said:

I assume one of you has money and the other does not. Maybe one is a lot older too?  nothing wrong in this, it's an 'exchange', but if the power were not unbalanced guys from Farangland would not be able to find younger, beautiful girls to be with them. Again nothing 'wrong' in this as long as the situation is appreciated. I'm sure your wife is 'special' and good luck with it - enjoy the imbalance, who cares?  life is short.

In my very happy marriage of 12 years, I would say it's pretty much the same as 473geo.

I have money and am 21 years senior in age to my wife, that said; she keeps telling me after a good serving, Tiruk, if I you not have money tomorrow, I not care, as long as you give it to me same same every time, I love you long time, but if him die, you die...............

The above said, I know my wife loves me, well for now at least ????

Image result for good girls go to heaven bad girls go everywhere

Archived