BANGKOK 19 July 2019 21:22
wilai

The Official Leeds Utd Thread 2019

New thread for LUFC lads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks for opening a thread Wilai.

Looking forward to hearing stories from the old days and of course the latest news. Hope there is enough support to warrant our thread. 

Started following Leeds shortly after the 1975 European Cup Final between Leeds and Bayern Munich.

• Like 2

Remember the team that so nearly won the CL.....and the shit show that happened in their city centre....that's my memory of Leeds but the football they played that year was electric....great team imploded sadly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Remember the team that so nearly won the CL.....and the shit show that happened in their city centre....that's my memory of Leeds but the football they played that year was electric....great team imploded sadly.

Yeah, they played out of this world up to Christmas, then the wheels fell off big time, very disappointing............next year hopefully.

• Like 2

Ah a good football thread at last !!

My following of Leeds goes back to the early 70’s , living slightly closer to Bradford than Leeds I should have been a “ Claret and Amber “ follower but since my elder brother was a Leeds fan my fate was decided for me.

Not allowed to go to the 72 FA cup final ( was only 10 years old ) I started sucking up to mum and dad early on in 73 and it paid off.

With the eldest brother as chaperone I was given the chance to see Leeds win again, after all their opponents were the second division club Sunderland ( who ? ).
I can clearly remember sitting on the coach down to the smoke listening to my brother and his mates argue about how many we were gonna win by and who was gonna get a hat trick !!

The game was a blur and I was so overwhelmed by the atmosphere I don’t remember much of the action, suppose I could find it on YouTube ( hmmm maybe not !! ).

Needless to say the trip home was much more quiet than a few hours earlier !!

Despite this I followed the Whites ( never did like the Peacocks moniker ) for the remainder of the 70’s and the start of the 80’s and I think I got the best years !!

Drinking, girls and eventually marriage and a family changed my priorities and football moved down the priority list ( unfortunately ) but I still managed to sneak an odd game in occasionally.
But it has to be said that the team weren’t the same as the marvellous 70’s, Bremner, Charlton, Madeley, Cooper, Gray, Hunter, Clarke, Lorimer, Giles...........so many household names.

My football following tapered off and finally folded when I left the uk in ‘95 but am still in contact with some of my old school/college/drinking mates who religiously follow Leeds ( and a few masochists who follow Bradford City and Bradford Park Avenue !! ).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, vogie said:

Thanks for opening a thread Wilai.

Looking forward to hearing stories from the old days and of course the latest news. Hope there is enough support to warrant our thread. 

Started following Leeds shortly after the 1975 European Cup Final between Leeds and Bayern Munich.

I lied when I said "after the 1975" it was actually before, so cloughie must have just left and Jimmy Armfield had taken the job over, what could have been if cloughie hadn't been sacked or is this subject taboo. I remember going to watch them play Anderlecht in the quarter finals of the European Cup, it was so foggy on the night you couldn't see the goal posts at either end, we had no idea who scored the goals, it wasn't untill on our way home we stopped at a pub and they had the highlights of the game on, we saw who scored.

I went to the semi final against Barcelona at Elland Road, nobody was about, my mates said, are you sure you've got the right night, as soon as we got in the South Stand we new it was the right night, the ground was full to capacity. Great to see Cruyff playing for Barcelona, don't remember much but I remember Joe Jordan doing a Maradonna and scoring with his hand, disallowed of course.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 9:54 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Ah a good football thread at last !!

My following of Leeds goes back to the early 70’s , living slightly closer to Bradford than Leeds I should have been a “ Claret and Amber “ follower but since my elder brother was a Leeds fan my fate was decided for me.

Not allowed to go to the 72 FA cup final ( was only 10 years old ) I started sucking up to mum and dad early on in 73 and it paid off.

With the eldest brother as chaperone I was given the chance to see Leeds win again, after all their opponents were the second division club Sunderland ( who ? ).
I can clearly remember sitting on the coach down to the smoke listening to my brother and his mates argue about how many we were gonna win by and who was gonna get a hat trick !!

The game was a blur and I was so overwhelmed by the atmosphere I don’t remember much of the action, suppose I could find it on YouTube ( hmmm maybe not !! ).

Needless to say the trip home was much more quiet than a few hours earlier !!

Despite this I followed the Whites ( never did like the Peacocks moniker ) for the remainder of the 70’s and the start of the 80’s and I think I got the best years !!

Drinking, girls and eventually marriage and a family changed my priorities and football moved down the priority list ( unfortunately ) but I still managed to sneak an odd game in occasionally.
But it has to be said that the team weren’t the same as the marvellous 70’s, Bremner, Charlton, Madeley, Cooper, Gray, Hunter, Clarke, Lorimer, Giles...........so many household names.

My football following tapered off and finally folded when I left the uk in ‘95 but am still in contact with some of my old school/college/drinking mates who religiously follow Leeds ( and a few masochists who follow Bradford City and Bradford Park Avenue !! ).

Yes I remember the Sunderland v Leeds Cup Final, I was a young soldier in Germany at the time, watched it in the NAAFI, there were reports of someone putting the television screen through after the match, but in all honesty I never saw that.

Being from Keighley we were not far from the Lancashire border and many of my classmates at school supported Burnley, I suppose their fathers must have watched them in their hayday.

I don't know if this is of any interest to anybody:

Screenshot_2019-07-10-10-14-36-712.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

For anyone that is interested in last nights pre season match between York City and Leeds Utd, the full match is available to watch on YouTube.

Edited by vogie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Not wanting to give the score away but it was to be expected !!

Good practice for Leeds and York plus a great way of getting more people interested in going to see their local teams play.

The Guiseley game should be good too, I would go if I was in the uk ( 10 minutes from my dads house ), also my grandson plays for Guiseley Juniors ( under 12’s ).
His dad ( my son ) unfortunately doesn’t take an active part in his football and sees it more as a chore taking him to practice etc.
My daughters husband, on the other hand, will take him without a doubt .

Man, I wish i was there to go along with them !!

Football, a great bonding experience.

I am guessing you will know Trevor Storton (RIP) didn't he manage Guiseley at some time, I played football with Trevor as a boy, he was one of Bill Shankleys signings for Liverpool, but a certain Emlyn Hughes kept him out of the team. Last time I saw him he was cleaning my dads windows.

I am guessing you will know Trevor Storton (RIP) didn't he manage Guiseley at some time, I played football with Trevor as a boy, he was one of Bill Shankleys signings for Liverpool, but a certain Emlyn Hughes kept him out of the team. Last time I saw him he was cleaning my dads windows.

I don’t know Trevor , my experience with Guiseley is limited to my grandson playing for them, been to a couple of home games .

What i do see is the huge commitment Guiseley ( in particular Juniors ) have to the game, a huge number of kids at various ages all treated seriously and coached to a very high standard IMO .

Seeing as we are veering off topic slightly I’ll just take it a little bit further , back to Leeds soon I promise !

When I lived in Brazil my brother in law was scouted for Internacional ( Porto Alegre ) along with his best mate Elzo ( Coelho ). Elzo went with them but my bil being the baby of the family ( he was the oldest of 10 kids but still the baby !! ) was talked out of going by his mother as it was “ a long way from home “.

Elzo went on to play for Altético Mineiro and appeared 11 times for the National team , played at Mexico ‘86 , a couple of good years at Benfica before returning to Brazil and Palmeiras then a couple of lesser teams before retiring.

Of course this is no guarantee that my ex bil would have had the same success but that didn’t stop him tearfully recounting the story many times over a couple of beers !!

This all happened before my time ( 1994 to 2015 ) but the story goes that Elzo was a huge hero in the small town where we lived, splashing his money left right and centre.
What i saw was him living on handouts from his brother and sister who owned a self service restaurant and a sports shop in the town, and the occasional appearance on local TV when World Cup were being played.

He did set up a kids football camp just outside the city but it soon turned into a “ zona “ ( brothel ) with some girls and guys latching on to his fame hanging out there drinking, and the rest !!
Result, financial disaster.

Anyway, back to Leeds !!

Yes back on topic, in their hayday many of the Leeds players lived in Horsforth, I lived there for a while and Norman Hunter still lived there. His son went out with my friends sons girlfriend, that's all I'll say about that. Had my own wagon for a while and made deliveries to David O'Leary who was the manager at the time and he lived in Harrogate and Gordon Strachan who lived in Scarcroft.

I guess last nights Guiseley game might be of special interest to you Andrew, looks like Bielsa fielded a completely new team than the one against York. Close game, Costa scored and made another, Leeds could do with someone special up front, it cost them a place in the Premiership last season IMO.

Again can watch the full game on YouTube.

Doesn't look like there are many Leeds fans on TV. 😟

• Like 2