Paul Reaney 748

Norman Hunter 726

Paul Madeley 725

Peter Lorimer 703

Eddie Gray 577

Gary Kelly 531

Johnny Giles 527

Gary Sprake 507

9 of the 10 played together - how impressive is that.

• Like 2
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, what a performance by both sides, watching the first 20 minutes I thought we were going to get marmalised, great to see it didn't phase Leeds though, Leeds showed great determination and team spi

New thread for LUFC lads.

Posted Images

I never realised that Norman Hunter got a World Cup Winners medal for his inclusion in 1966 world cup squad.

"Only the 11 who played in the 4-2 win over West Germany in the final at Wembley received a medal, although Hunter finally got one after a successful campaign to have them awarded for all members of England's triumphant squad at a Downing Street ceremony in 2009."

"Hunter's final England appearance came, fittingly, in Revie's first game as England manager in the 3-0 win over Czechoslovakia in October 1974."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52243583

Edited by vogie
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, vogie said:

Leeds Utd are to rename the South Stand after Norman Hunter, a great tribute to a great footballer, it follows stands named after Don Revie and John Charles.

Interesting. Out of the team members of the early 70s team, which ones are still with us, and, for Leeds to name a stand after Hunter does that mean he has a greater standing in the eyes of the club / the players.

Ps. Eddie Gray was my favourite of the Leeds 70s teams.

3 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Interesting. Out of the team members of the early 70s team, which ones are still with us, and, for Leeds to name a stand after Hunter does that mean he has a greater standing in the eyes of the club / the players.

Ps. Eddie Gray was my favourite of the Leeds 70s teams.

Not sure, but maybe if Eddie Gray had died first the stand might have been named after him, maybe the fairest way to go is to build another 7 more stands so then all the 70s players can be named, tricky one.

But was in the South Stand when Leeds played Barcelona in the semi final of the european cup, saw the great Johan Cruyff and Joe Jordan score a goal with his hand, Maradonna style.😉

• Like 1

Another Leeds favourite has sadly passed away. Trevor Cherry died suddenly at the age of 72.

An England International, he made 399 appearances for Leeds and also played for Huddersfield and Bradford.

image.jpeg.874f8485ceb96736b57185ea7b110042.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Not Leeds related but as many posters ( I imagine) on this thread hailed from the Leeds area I am sure this will bring back some memories.

Today on the 11th May 1985, 56 people lost their lives and approximately 265 were injured when a horrific fire broke out in the stands of Bradford City during a celebration football match. On the 35th anniverary of this tragedy, please find the time in your busy lives to remember them, City fan or not.

I know I will.

As Leeds and Bradford were never any real threat to each other and as a fan of both clubs I think posters on here will share in remembering the grief of that terrible day .

A terrible day for sure. Football's loss, Bradford's loss. In fact the country's loss.

Looking back I realise how lucky we were at WHU's ground in East London. Opposite the main stand was a construction fondly called the 'chicken run'. How that never finished up the same is beyond me. Virtually all timber.

• Like 1
On 4/30/2020 at 1:09 PM, wilai said:

Another Leeds favourite has sadly passed away. Trevor Cherry died suddenly at the age of 72.

An England International, he made 399 appearances for Leeds and also played for Huddersfield and Bradford.

image.jpeg.874f8485ceb96736b57185ea7b110042.jpeg

I didn't find out untill the other day that Paul Madeley had passed away too. 23rd July 2018. RIP

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

As a life-long Leeds United supporter now living in Thailand, I am interested whether there are any other Leeds United fans on this forum? 

Currently sitting top of the Championship, one point ahead of West Brom and seven points ahead of third placed Fulham, with nine matches left to play (possibly), there is a good chance they could be close to returning to the Premiership next season.

In view of that, I thought it would be good to start a thread for all things connected to Leeds United. I am prepared for a lot of abuse from rival football fans, especially those across the pennines, but as long as it doesn't get personal, it will be like water off a duck's back.

I look forward to hearing from you football fans.

Marching On Together.

Leeds_United_Logo.png

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Ayemanomad said:

Thank you. It's good to know there are a lot of Leeds United fans on here.

MOT

Yeah, welcome mate. There are a few but pretty quiet a lot of the time. Hoping promotion happens. That would liven things up.....I can see you lads and Rick G really getting along👍

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, wilai said:

Yeah, welcome mate. There are a few but pretty quiet a lot of the time. Hoping promotion happens. That would liven things up.....I can see you lads and Rick G really getting along👍

Thanks. I'm confident, one way or another, we'll be playing in the Premiership next season. They have got the go ahead to start training next week, so fingers crossed.

MOT

On 7/4/2019 at 9:54 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Ah a good football thread at last !!

My following of Leeds goes back to the early 70’s , living slightly closer to Bradford than Leeds I should have been a “ Claret and Amber “ follower but since my elder brother was a Leeds fan my fate was decided for me.

Not allowed to go to the 72 FA cup final ( was only 10 years old ) I started sucking up to mum and dad early on in 73 and it paid off.

With the eldest brother as chaperone I was given the chance to see Leeds win again, after all their opponents were the second division club Sunderland ( who ? ).
I can clearly remember sitting on the coach down to the smoke listening to my brother and his mates argue about how many we were gonna win by and who was gonna get a hat trick !!

The game was a blur and I was so overwhelmed by the atmosphere I don’t remember much of the action, suppose I could find it on YouTube ( hmmm maybe not !! ).

Needless to say the trip home was much more quiet than a few hours earlier !!

Despite this I followed the Whites ( never did like the Peacocks moniker ) for the remainder of the 70’s and the start of the 80’s and I think I got the best years !!

Drinking, girls and eventually marriage and a family changed my priorities and football moved down the priority list ( unfortunately ) but I still managed to sneak an odd game in occasionally.
But it has to be said that the team weren’t the same as the marvellous 70’s, Bremner, Charlton, Madeley, Cooper, Gray, Hunter, Clarke, Lorimer, Giles...........so many household names.

My football following tapered off and finally folded when I left the uk in ‘95 but am still in contact with some of my old school/college/drinking mates who religiously follow Leeds ( and a few masochists who follow Bradford City and Bradford Park Avenue !! ).

Mine goes back to the early 60's. I was lucky enough to go to the 1968 League Cup Final against Arsenal at Wembley, which Leeds won 1-0 with the winner coming in the 20th minute from the brilliant Terry Cooper. The Don Revie era was a fantastic time to be a Leeds supporter. Hopefully, we can be playing in the Premiership again next season, where we belong.

MOT

• Like 1

OK I am going to play the devils advocate now, easy question, probably difficult to answer though.

Should Brian Clough been given more of a chance at managing Leeds.

My thoughts at the time were 'glad to see the back of him' but as the years went on I began to wonder what would have happened if he had built another team, the old Leeds players didn't last much longer after Cloughie left afterall. 

I am not trying to say he would have achieved more than Howard Wilkinson, but would he have done, certainly nobody can argue with Cloughies record.🤔

Edited by vogie
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, vogie said:

OK I am going to play the devils advocate now, easy question, probably difficult to answer though.

My thoughts at the time were 'glad to see the back of him' but as the years went on I began to wonder what would have happened if he had built another team, the old Leeds players didn't last much longer after Cloughie left afterall. 

I am not trying to say he would have achieved more than Howard Wilkinson, but would he have done, certainly nobody can argue with Cloughies record.🤔

TBH I think it wasn't a good fit for Brian. His way and the Leeds methodology were like chalk and cheese at the time. He went in there determined to fix a problem he saw, but which the team and Directors did not see. A good manager and team work in tandem and harmony and it was obvious from the outset that such a relationship wasn't there and wasn't likely to ever be.

Had he stayed and built a new team from the ground up, then maybe, because he did a pretty fair job most places he went, but we were not at a point where such a rebuild was deemed right or necessary. He tried and I will give him credit for that but it was a marriage assured to end in tragedy.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, vogie said:

Not an easy answer to that question. He proved over the years that he was an exceptional manager, however, he got off on the wrong foot with the Leeds players that he inherited, by telling them to throw all their medals in the bin, as they had won them all by cheating. He wasn't going to last long after telling them that! That was definitely a bad personnel move, which proved his downfall.

• Like 1
Just now, champers said:

Went solo at Leeds; no Peter Taylor with him. Fatal error, all his major success was in partnership with PT. I guess he was a calming influence.

I watched the 'Damned United' and if true Peter Taylor said to Clough when they had the big argument whilst holidaying in Spain, I'll paraphrase, 'you maybe the shopwindow Brian, but I am the goods'

• Like 2