Blatant abuse of entry denials at Phuket Airport

1 hour ago, Lenny Jones said:

Unfortunately Thai Immigration laws are loose and open to interpretation.  To get around this all local immigration offices are given scope to apply their own interpretations.

In many cases, this is true. However, when it comes to denying or allowing entry to those with valid visas issued at embassies/consulates, the Immigration Act is actually very clear. The problem is that immigration officials at some entry points are now ignoring the law.

In the case of the OP, while I think he was unfairly treated, I interpret his story as him being denied a visa exempt entry. It seems he applied for a tourist visa in Phnom Penh, but the embassy voided it after placing it in his passport. Thus, he was arriving without an embassy issued visa. Thai immigration (pursuant to new rules introduced in mid 2014) has discretion on whether to allow visa exempt entry. It does seem they abused their discretion here but, as others have suggested, there may be more to the story that we do not know. Also, although Phnom Penh quite often voids tourist visas, this would be unusual for a first tourist visa application. There must be a red flag somewhere that would cause both a voided visa from Phnom Penh and an apparently unwarranted denial of a visa exempt entry in Phuket.

Edited by BritTim
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems that Thailand is only interested in short stay package tourists these days. Anyone on a tourist visa who doesn't fit that profile is taking a chance.
I think that's a little unfair. The OP's case seems rare. Most people refused entry on a Tourist visa are refused because it's apparent they are not tourists.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

if OP had earlier completed his temporary residency of 10 months in country

then returns for another 6 weeks as a tourist...

well, IM would then simply see his as a tourist, right here right now, has already been in country in excess of 180days in any 12month rolling period...

wouldn't be any more relevant that the earlier mass of days were covered under that earlier valid working visa

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, dtag said:

I agree with you Khao Yai in trying fight for things , if I had a longer term plan of living here. Really this just screwed up for me how I wanted to start a much longer trip to other parts of Asia, Aus, and NZ. I was looking forward to this journey starting with visiting parts of the country I have never had time to get to. Because I actually really like Thailand and most Thai people. Losing that is worse than spending 3 days bored and annoyed. But it's ruined now.

And, based on plenty of time to converse, I know this place is now ruined for everyone else I have shared this room with. Those living here will be moving away for good , and the tourists will definitely never return, nor will their friends and family ever come here on a trip.

This hasn't been- oh just get on the next plane out. It's been being locked in a room where you rely on random visits by airline  security employee offering  to take money buy you food and water a few times a day. And having two beds for three complete strangers , etc.  

Living quarters , along with a small love seats,  to the side, for 2-3 grown siting together all day and sleeping at night. Go ahead and say "i must be your fault" , But you come do this for 3 days when you had a valid visa issued by an embasy

WIN_20190704_21_52_53_Pro.jpg.ec408893399e4beedba17802a54fa9ea.jpg

Sounds like a bad situation, did you appeal to the decision?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, overherebc said:

180 days in 12 months doesn't exist as a law.

but what about period of residency for taxation purposes? and now that he's back as a tourist, his quota was already completed; and comes afeter the fact as a tourist before the 12 months have passed

• Confused 4

14 minutes ago, tifino said:

but what about period of residency for taxation purposes? and now that he's back as a tourist, his quota was already completed; and comes afeter the fact as a tourist before the 12 months have passed

Pay tax while you're working and when the job finishes then that's the end of it. If anything applies it should be a tax rebate for any uncompleted tax year. Remember they tax you on a complete year rate.

Come back as a tourist then it's start again from day one for time in country.

Trying to tax long term tourists? what would they class as income? add up all your hotel bills, food bills and beer bills that you've already paid VAT on?

VAT stands for very annoying tax by the way. ????????

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Uroller said:

I also got caught up in this ridiculous clamp down on farang entry into Phuket. I was lucky that I was only held for 24 hours and the 2 guys in the lockup with me were good guys.

did you sign any documents that immigration gave to you ?  as i posted a few minutes ago, reportedly, these say you agree to pay for your detention and wait for the airline that took you to thailand to take you out (to where you came from).

17 hours ago, dtag said:

I will be out tomorrow morning as it was the first available flight to PP direct from Phuket. It's just been all rather stupid and silly. Stuck in room accepting your fate is bad enough , but then sharing a room with a regular stream of new , disgruntled people gets really old. Especially when most of them were not even classic "visa runners", who at least have some idea this may happen to them at some point.

This sin't actually "cracking down" on anything. It's just screwing people at random.

Yep , follow another path to another country, Cambodia now have ER (Retirement Visa ) no reporting renewable every 12 months, being realistic , one day this path will change eventually as well.