BANGKOK 24 July 2019 00:56
dtag

Blatant abuse of entry denials at Phuket Airport

Sections 20–22 of the Immigration Act are relevant to an appeal against a refusal to enter Thailand. I wonder if immigration followed these procedures correctly in the case of the OP.

11 hours ago, dtag said:

....I flew in on Tuesday with a valid tourist visa from the Thai embassy ....

Did your visa get voided after your were refused entry?

It sounds like a reason to call your Embassy and put in a complaint. Not being permitted to fly back to your home country is wrong. Surely there are more flights than every 3 or 4 days to PP (although Wed/Thur is bad for direct). 

Do you think your nationality had an impact?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, dtag said:

the work permit was voided while I was in PP,

There you go then. The work permit should have been cancelled the day you left employment and the extension of stay linked to that work permit should have been cancelled too. You then should have left Thailand the same day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, post said:

Did your visa get voided after your were refused entry?

I am sure his visa will not have been voided. They just put a denial of entry stamp in the passport. It takes up half a page. The visa can be used at a land border. That's what I did anyway.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Surely there are more flights than every 3 or 4 days to PP (although Wed/Thur is bad for direct). 

It has to be the same airline if possible. The airline must agree and Immigration must agree and the denied foreigner has to pay for it. This is what causes the delay. If you say, I want to buy the next Air Asia flight to KL, Immigration will say you can't.

7 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

It has to be the same airline if possible.

I suspect there is only one airline, Air Asia. These people who are denied entry are treated very badly and often made to sign a document confessing to their 'crimes' and agreeing to pay for the privelidge! Their crimes often include arriving with a valid visa. 

• Like 1

I don't claim to be perfect English teacher but I am a native English speaker and you mention that you are a fully qualified teacher although sorry mate your English is far from perfecto-mundo! Therefore I doubt your qualification as a teacher.

I can't see what benefit they (immigration) see for refusing a genuine tourist, this is why I believe you likely have skipped some information out maybe? You already forgot to mention the previous work in Chiang Mai and the previous passport until another member pointed that out and then you forgot which type of visa you held, what else did you skip over or miss out?
He did say he wasn't an ESL teacher, so I expect he was qualified to teach other subjects and not trained in teaching ESL/EFL.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, Caldera said:

That's what happens when a country puts muppets with zero qualifications for the job but huge egos in charge and brainwashes its population to believe in nonsense. A sad state of affairs, really.

OP, thanks for sharing, you have my sympathy.

Unfortunately Thai Immigration laws are loose and open to interpretation.  To get around this all local immigration offices are given scope to apply their own interpretations.

This shows up clearly in the many anecdotal statements by various contributors around the country and if you couple to this partial autonomy the various levels of corruption that exists in different local department is leaves us with one unholy mess to deal with.

I have fortunately developed a good relationship with my local immigration boss where we both enjoy a mutual level of respect.  Many are already aware that each time we do a 1-year renewal the rules change.  I simply tell my local immigration boss she is exactly that and what does she want me to do?  She understands I am trying to do it correctly and is always very helpful,

So fare everything has worked out well - - - For me - - - -

• Like 1
  • Confused 1