Blatant abuse of entry denials at Phuket Airport

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

That's totally wrong (no, not your post). The likelilhood is that a genuine traveller will already have a ticket booked out of Thailand. So, you're holiday is wrecked, you have a flight you can't use and you have to pay for another? Madness.

You have analysed the situation correctly.

Many do have a return leg (myself included) but it is not likely that the return leg is several hours after the outward leg. The return leg is often one month or more in the future.

In that case, the traveller has to pay the date change fee, which can be very hefty. In my case it was £200. 

Sometimes the ticket doesn't allow date changes and then a new ticket must be bought.

Then there is the loss of hotel bookings, etc, etc.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

From what I've seen people like to moan and groan about life in Thailand but very rarely do I see them challenge situations. Thailand is very sensitive on some issues - tourism is probably one of the most sensitive. How do you think the Tourism Authority would view this if what the OP says happened to him is correct? Do you think they'd want stories about genuine tourists with visas being denied entry to be reported in the mainstream media?

I have always believed that when something is blatantly wrong, it should be challenged - its no use just moaning about things. There are ways and means of challenging situations, to stand a chance you have to pick the right way - that's how I won the hospital case.

I think you are dead right. If stories like this hit the mainstream Thai press - legitimate tourists being routinely denied entry to Thailand - the Government would fix the problem asap.

I think the problem is the legacy of 'Big Joke' (good guys in and bad guys out) with his successor keeping up the policy without being fully aware how it is being implemented.

I doubt very much there is any prejudice against farangs, it is just beauraucracy gone made. As said above, once it gets so bad that reports appear in the mainstream Thai press (harm to rourism dollars etc) the PM will step in and reverse the 'policy'.

• Like 1

Visa or not, the entry IO (or superior)  has the discretion to not admit someone even if they are carrying a visa from a Thai embassy somewhere.

I do feel for you though, and I know its frustrating.

• Like 1

It's the same format as Operation Crackdown on Thursday evenings for example.

Boss tells them...OK...tonight we have a crackdown to catch the bad guys. The trainees there all want to prove the boss how capable they are, then the abuse starts.

• Like 2

You can come back from Ban Laem land border. Something similar happened to me in DMK and they sent me back to Laos then I used Nong Khai border without issue. I then took a plane from Udon Thani to DMK! 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have raised my voice and spoken out against IOs on two occasions, stood my ground and won both times, their bosses overruled both of them and I got what I wanted.

Yeah. Good idea. I screamed at Police on the street occasionally when they were wanted to check my passport 15 meters away from where their colleagues just checked me 2 minutes before and were harrasing other people. Shocked them a little.

What has one have to lose anyway, given these circumstances? What's the worst that can happen, being rejected entry? ????

PS: And don't sign anything, it will give them headaches. Thais in general hate to "think too much".

Edited by lkv
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, lkv said:

Yeah. Good idea. I screamed at Police on the street occasionally when they were wanted to check my passport 15 meters away from where their colleagues just checked me 2 minutes before and were harrasing other people. Shocked them a little.

What has one have to lose anyway, given these circumstances? What's the worst that can happen, being rejected entry? ????

PS: And don't sign anything, it will give them headaches. Thais in general hate to "think too much".

I love giving them headaches. Very efficient at it now. Two can play their little games.

10 hours ago, mikebell said:

anywhere BUT Thailand.  They don't want us here.  Go where you're welcomed and valued.

I can assure you, there are many countries that dont want us staying for a longer while. Malaysia is one of them, I was denied my last entry there, after only two 90 days entries. Even got a stamp telling I may be denied in the future. For no reason whatsoever, I just wanted to stay as a tourist for more than 6 months in total.

When neighboring countries are together on this practice in the future, there are not a lot of options in Asia anymore for people under 50, not married or without the 800k in a thai bank (Malaysia have a similar thing for their second home visa).

The thing is they dont need our money anymore, I guess.

4 hours ago, dtag said:

Update:

I flew into Phnom Penh this morning as scheduled. My passport was not given to me but to the airline who took it directly to Cambodian immigration. A letter inside that I had never seen said I was expelled because I had "insufficient funds" . I had submitted this information when getting the visa . I have plenty of funds in both a Thai and US bank account (each one does). This was never mentioned to me by Thai immigration as I could easily just had shown them my bank account balance on a text message from Bangkok Bank. Or brought up the website for my US bank account. It was really sweet of them to give me that extra little challenge to getting a visa back into Cambodia- the place they insisted on making me return to.  The only reason I was ever given as to be denied entry was suspicion that I was really coming back to work illegally. The actual words, said over and over were "you came to work, you came to work" 

I also was never asked to sign anything at any point. My only choice, besides literally running out the door, was to comply with the detention (including paying for my flight back and fees for rooming there). I contacted the only people I thought could help me- the office staff at my former school, and immigration refused to listen to them. Sorry- i never thought to keep an attorney on retainer for such a situation as this.

My visa was valid and had no reason not to be accepted.

To the continuing naysayers- Everything I have said is completely true. You are right though , it makes little sense. The only real sense it makes is they want to appear to be cracking down and they have a quota and they also make a little money on getting people like me to pay.

I'm not sure why people think I would concoct this story and be so eager to dismiss it. But I think they will be eating their own words in the next few months as this becomes a more common story

Also- oddly The Tourist visa has no void stamp or any mark on it or anything.

Sorry what, happened to you but for your information 20,000 baht in CASH or it's equvilent  is to be shown when entering on a tourist. Not always asked but must be shown if asked. Money in Thai or other bank accounts shown on phone or bank books not accepted. Also they will not alow you to go to an ATM to withdraw the funds at any of the airports. Many reports of people with tourist visas being denied entry for not having the required funds on hand and not being alowed to axcess an ATM. 10,000 baht required for visa exempt (but safer carrying 20,000)

34 minutes ago, thaibreaker said:

I can assure you, there are many countries that dont want us staying for a longer while. Malaysia is one of them, I was denied my last entry there, after only two 90 days entries. Even got a stamp telling I may be denied in the future. For no reason whatsoever, I just wanted to stay as a tourist for more than 6 months in total.

Yeah, one solution would be a more consistent visa in one of these more unregulated countries, where you buy them over the counter, including work permit, and then one would receive less hassle, since they'd be "working" in Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia or whatever.

Not the best solution, obviously the best one is a solid visa in the country you're spending most of the time, but yeah ????

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Sorry what, happened to you but for your information 20,000 baht in CASH or it's equvilent  is to be shown when entering on a tourist. Not always asked but must be shown if asked. Money in Thai or other bank accounts shown on phone or bank books not accepted. Also they will not alow you to go to an ATM to withdraw the funds at any of the airports. Many reports of people with tourist visas being denied entry for not having the required funds on hand and not being alowed to axcess an ATM. 10,000 baht required for visa exempt (but safer carrying 20,000)

They never asked him for the funds, it's just their standard made up reason.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dtag said:

image.png.c6c4e9dc29fcc9fc1d1b40b869614d78.png

It's worth noting that you also received a blue stamp on your tourist visa, stating: 

"Future applications may be denied if there is no sufficient proof that the applicant is travelling for tourism purposes."

I don't think that helped at all at Phuket, coming after a non B.......

Still, you should have been allowed entry imo.

Just trying to better understand what triggers these people.

Sorry you had a bad experience. ????

Edited by lkv

I can understand where the IO is coming from.

He's seen you've worked here, which means you've been in the country and know what it's like.

The IO is unable to imagine why anyone would want to visit his country if they've already been here. Therefore, by Thai Logic, you must be here for reason other than tourism.

The key take away for this, is one should never visit Thailand more than once in their lifetime.

And to be honest, there is not much worth to see here as a tourist that would need multiple trips.

Living here, however, as I do, is a different thing, and still worth considering.

The next concern is if they start denying visitors on a Thailand Elite. Hopefully they don't shoot themself in their own foot by doing that.

@dtag

Could you share more about the Phnom Pehn experience and if you had other tourist visas in the passport before the non B?

Trying to work out the reasoning of Phnom Pehn as far as the blue stamp is concerned.

Would help us prevent unpleasant situations in the future (at least to some degree).

Edited by lkv

49 minutes ago, JayBird said:

Btw, is it possible that by locking up people they make money?

Charge for food, water, buy ticket, etc?

If he signed the paper they will charge him for the detention room. I remember something like 800THB per day from other reports

9 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

approximately 50,000 people come through phuket airport everyday and although i don't know what percentage of them are international arrivals i would say it is not an insignificant number. 

that being said i find it hard to believe there is some kind of 'sweep' going on there as only half a dozen others were caught up in it with him

either the OP was one of the unluckiest guys at the airport that day or something else is involved that he is not admitting to (or hiding).

i think for now i'll ignore his pleas to tell everyone i know to avoid the airport, at least until i hear of 100s being stopped per day.

hope the OP finally got his flight out ok.

How many of those have been here before longer-term?   Of course, immigration laws permit staying here repeatedly as a Tourist, but these rogue entry-points don't care what the law says. 

Also consider they don't have the space to profit from detaining 100s per-day - or no doubt they would.  They don't care about harm to the country / citizens of Thailand, after all - just their own private-interests.

8 hours ago, tifino said:

but what about period of residency for taxation purposes? and now that he's back as a tourist, his quota was already completed; and comes afeter the fact as a tourist before the 12 months have passed

Did they detain him for tax-reasons?  I don't recall that being a valid reason to deny entry per immigration law ... oh, I keep forgetting - they don't care about the laws they are supposed to be enforcing. 

On 7/4/2019 at 7:51 PM, KhaoYai said:

I don't know if this is possible but can you not engage a lawyer to sort this out - if only to show Thai Immigration that they are wrong? 

I understand that you don't want to stay in Thailand now but wouldn't it be satisfying to prove them wrong?

I asked a question about being able to appeal on another thread - I seem to remember being told that entrants could appeal but would be detained whilst the appeal was decided. You are already detained so nothing much to lose.

Here is the story of one who tried:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/992077-entry-denied-bangkok-airport/

The TLDR is - he asked to appeal - it was ignored - he was marched onto a plane, then told at the other end if he didn't pay for the last-minute fare, they would have immigration in the other country lock him up. 

On 7/4/2019 at 8:23 PM, sanemax said:

Yes, I do think posters should just read  his posts and accept them, rather than desperately trying to find out " what really happened" 

But immigration are angels / boy-scouts who would never do anything bad - so there must be some "other" reason we keep reading all these reports.

On 7/4/2019 at 8:40 PM, SteveK said:

The question should be "why are IOs becoming more and more militant and trying to refuse as many people as possible?".

Do they get a payment for refusing entry to a farang? Is there some kind of quota that they are trying to hit? Has some directive come down from higher up to encourage them to keep farangs out?

If I got denied entry then my wife and her family would be up shit-creek fairly quickly.

The airlines may be in on the racket - possibly sharing sales-commissions w/ immigration.  Combine that with immigration pocketing the "detention" money, and the encouragement of the agent-money and elite-visa beneficiaries, and there are many reasons for doing this - there being no sane/honest reason to do so.

They don't care about your wife / family a whit (nor mine, as I found out when applying for an extension I fully-qualified for at 2 separate offices / areas of the country).

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

The common denominator appears to me to be the fact that these people obtained their Tourist Visas from a neighbouring country and not their home country.

dtag alludes to that himself, when he mentioned the Australia citizen who obtained his visa in KL. of course dtag obtained his in Cambodia.

Obviously, people seemingly not returning to their home country rings alarm bells for them.

• Like 2