With pomp and flyovers, Trump embraces military in July 4 salute

webfact

18 hours ago, neeray said:

First time that I've heard Trump speak and actually stay on message. He's pretty good at reading the message from a teleprompter that others wrote. I highly doubt that he would have ever even heard of many of the names or heard of the events that he spoke of.

And believe it or not, coming from me, that was a compliment (just one, let me not get carried away).

A few years back, there was a special on TV all about Trump’s life. He joined military cadets and rose in rank. And in school he aced in History. Good chance he did indeed know many or all those names. 

There’s been a number of times he’s spoken with no TelePrompTer. He’s done quite well at it. 

Obama on the other hand, used a TelePrompTer always. Obama could not do a major speech in front of thousands of people without a TelePrompTer. 

Trump on the other hand...can, and has, done a few long speeches without using a TelePrompTer as we’ve seen in some of his campaign speeches over the last few years. He’s able to speak “off the cuff” when he wishes for a major speech...an ability that Obama never displayed except perhaps for a talk in front of some women in a small room perhaps.  

As far as the military parade...both Eisenhower and John F. Kennedy had much larger ones. Even with missiles. 

Trump’s parade was very tiny in comparison. 

Many people forget history, or never learned history to begin with. But that’s not surprising these days. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, neeray said:

First time that I've heard Trump speak and actually stay on message. He's pretty good at reading the message from a teleprompter that others wrote. I highly doubt that he would have ever even heard of many of the names or heard of the events that he spoke of.

And believe it or not, coming from me, that was a compliment (just one, let me not get carried away).

The statement about hoe we took to the air in 1775 and wiped out all of the airports shows exactly how much he knows or cares about American history!  He is now blaming it on a teleprompter failure due to rain but he had already said when the airplane was invented, long after 1775!

I am no Trump supporter but I see all this as much ado about not much. The Troops, tanks, jets are already paid for and would be flying, training, etc on a field exercise of some kind somewhere else. This is just a training day of another kind. Everything Obama did, the Republicans railed against and now Republicans are getting a taste of their own medicine with everything Trump does being railed against. Of course as Americas #1 Birther, Trump should understand the politics. Move along, nothing to see here as far as I am concerned.

12 minutes ago, Ulic said:

I am no Trump supporter but I see all this as much ado about not much. The Troops, tanks, jets are already paid for and would be flying, training, etc on a field exercise of some kind somewhere else. This is just a training day of another kind. Everything Obama did, the Republicans railed against and now Republicans are getting a taste of their own medicine with everything Trump does being railed against. Of course as Americas #1 Birther, Trump should understand the politics. Move along, nothing to see here as far as I am concerned.

In the main, I agree with you. That it was directed toward, sponsered in part by (with the federal govt. kicking in the lion's share), and attended mainly by his supporters though, makes me question whether or not it was a campaign event, rather than a non partisan event.

14 hours ago, candide said:

"Here’s where it goes off the rails: “Our Army manned the air, it rammed (or ‘rand’) the ramparts, it took over airports, it did everything it had to do,” Trump added. “And at Fort McHenry, under the rockets’ red glare, had nothing but victory. When dawn came, the star-spangled banner waved defiant.”

???? ????????

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-revolutionary-war-airports-twitter-reax_n_5d1ec658e4b01b834733f4d4

Well really, the Fleur de Lys ( French monarchial flag), as the French military support for the rebel colonies was the main reason why Britain was defeated.

But then, if you think that air superiority was a major factor in the victory (130 years before manned flight) then such minor details as French participation do become irrelevant.

Anyway America, sorry to hear that your national celebration has been politicised by your President...

5 hours ago, wayned said:

The statement about hoe we took to the air in 1775 and wiped out all of the airports shows exactly how much he knows or cares about American history!  He is now blaming it on a teleprompter failure due to rain but he had already said when the airplane was invented, long after 1775!

There’s always a tweet:

B28F50E8-AC83-4CDC-A809-39C2BFB9039E.jpeg.384b72bec99317512ea5e328825a0ded.jpeg

On 7/5/2019 at 9:13 AM, expatfromwyoming said:

Back in 1968, at the age of 22, Trump apparently was the picture of health.

He stood 6 feet 2 inches with an athletic build; had played college football, tennis and squash; and was taking up golf. His medical history was unblemished, aside from a routine appendectomy when he was 10.

But as soon as he graduated from college in the spring of 1968, making him eligible to be drafted and sent to Vietnam, he "mysteriously" received a diagnosis of bone spurs in his heels.

The diagnosis resulted in a coveted 1-Y medical deferment, exempting him from military service as the United States was undertaking huge troop deployments to Southeast Asia, inducting about 300,000 men into the military that year with 16,592 killed.

That deferment was one of five Trump received during Vietnam. The others were for education.

And people are supposed to believe he honours the country and military?????

Of course, you would also know that many hi-so's sons were never called up? They only wanted the dumb clucks as cannon fodder...don't you read history?

7 hours ago, Catoni said:

A few years back, there was a special on TV all about Trump’s life. He joined military cadets and rose in rank. And in school he aced in History. Good chance he did indeed know many or all those names. 

There’s been a number of times he’s spoken with no TelePrompTer. He’s done quite well at it. 

Obama on the other hand, used a TelePrompTer always. Obama could not do a major speech in front of thousands of people without a TelePrompTer. 

Trump on the other hand...can, and has, done a few long speeches without using a TelePrompTer as we’ve seen in some of his campaign speeches over the last few years. He’s able to speak “off the cuff” when he wishes for a major speech...an ability that Obama never displayed except perhaps for a talk in front of some women in a small room perhaps.  

As far as the military parade...both Eisenhower and John F. Kennedy had much larger ones. Even with missiles. 

Many people forget history, or never learned history to begin with. But that’s not surprising these days. 

How much history can you read in 8 seconds on an iPhone whilst walking down a street?

2 hours ago, Thakkar said:

There’s always a tweet:

B28F50E8-AC83-4CDC-A809-39C2BFB9039E.jpeg.384b72bec99317512ea5e328825a0ded.jpeg

Trump always rambles, goes way off-topic, lies constantly and is often incoherent when he doesn't use a teleprompter.  With that in mind, the questions should be "Why doesn't Trump always use teleprompters?"

6 hours ago, Ulic said:

I disagree.

The parade was on July 4th which is a public holiday in the USA. The majority of the military involved would be enjoying the day off with their families and friends and not taking part in a display so that pompous xxxx (deleted by me) could say how good he was.

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I disagree.

The parade was on July 4th which is a public holiday in the USA. The majority of the military involved would be enjoying the day off with their families and friends and not taking part in a display so that pompous xxxx (deleted by me) could say how good he was.

you forgot to mention his EGO took the best of him 555

9 hours ago, Catoni said:

I note you are an adept practitioner of alternative facts

Maybe the whole thing was a ruse by Trump to get taxpayers to foot the production cost of his campaign ad:

Added in edit:

BTW, in usual Trump style, some of the footage isn’t actual footage from the ill-attended rainy day parade, but is spliced in from some 2008 concert.

8 hours ago, Thainesss said:

And as an indicator of the current stupid state of the media and activist liberal journalists posting misleading pictures trying to crap on the parade, Snopes actually did a “fact-check” on the pictures. 

Fact check - True. It was packed even through the rain. 

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/crowd-at-trump-july-4-event/

GettyImages-1153790793-e1562337940498.jp

Places where people didn't have to endure a Trump speech also had a good turnout:  https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/07/04/boston-4th-of-july-celebration-esplanade-fireworks/

17 hours ago, Thainesss said:

And as an indicator of the current stupid state of the media and activist liberal journalists posting misleading pictures trying to crap on the parade, Snopes actually did a “fact-check” on the pictures. 

Thanks. Guess I was wrong. I trust Snopes. I’ve even donated to them. Their responses are thorough and documented and supported. I guess Trump just lies soo often and cavalierly that my default position is to distrust him. In this instance, turns out he was telling the truth about the attendance. The reason crowd sizes is an issue, is because he made it so. It matters to him, and he tends to exaggerate attendance at his rallies, as he did with his inauguration.

In any case, my main point was about him using the parade to make a campaign ad.

On 7/6/2019 at 1:52 AM, billd766 said:

I disagree.

We’ll see how the people think Trump has done a good job, in November, 2020. 

10 hours ago, Thakkar said:

Thanks. Guess I was wrong. I trust Snopes. I’ve even donated to them. Their responses are thorough and documented and supported. I guess Trump just lies soo often and cavalierly that my default position is to distrust him. In this instance, turns out he was telling the truth about the attendance. The reason crowd sizes is an issue, is because he made it so. It matters to him, and he tends to exaggerate attendance at his rallies, as he did with his inauguration.

In any case, my main point was about him using the parade to make a campaign ad.

The cameras didn’t lie. I was truly shocked when I saw how many people attended Trump’s July 4 celebration in Washington, D.C. 

A hell of a lot more people than I expected to show up. 

On 7/6/2019 at 5:38 AM, Thainesss said:

Thanks for the photo. Looks like a bit of a crowd showed up. The rain didn’t even keep them away.

It appears that Trump really packs ‘em in. 

On 7/5/2019 at 7:55 PM, lannarebirth said:

In the main, I agree with you. That it was directed toward, sponsered in part by (with the federal govt. kicking in the lion's share), and attended mainly by his supporters though, makes me question whether or not it was a campaign event, rather than a non partisan event.

I watched his whole speech. It was all in support of the military and the history of the country. 

Nothing about his accomplishments as President. 

Not a campaign speech. 

On 7/6/2019 at 3:39 AM, Catoni said:

There are quite a few people hoping Trump will be re-elected simply because he has created a whole new industry sorting facts from his lies. Most of those lies are self-glorification and protection, many are simple ignorance, and quite a few are rank stupidity.

AFAIK the lies are leading 3 to 1, and bolting away as 2020 draws nearer.

On 7/5/2019 at 1:39 PM, Catoni said:

You are halirous you are 180 out lol Donald is the most inarticulate potus we have ever had he speeks on a 4th grade level lies constantly wouldent know an historical fact if it slapped him in the face lol Obama on the other hand is a constitutional scholar and quite articulate you are joking trolling or delusional if you are joking I apologize 

Archived