Best visa options for me

I am 33 and British and having been living in Thailand for just over 4 years now and have addmitly been doing it on tourist visas and most recently a ED visa,

now I know some of you will say I am the reason why they are making it harder to obtain setv and MeTV for genuine tourist and that I have been abusing the tourist visa system but I don't see the problem with that i have spent alot money in Thailand over the years and send money from my UK account to my Thai account every month so I see it as I am not a burden on Thailand and more of a benefit because I bring money from outside the contury in to the country and spend it here,

I have a small business back in the UK that Is now making me between £1000 - £1300 a month it was around £2000 the first 2 years I was here but has slowly declined, so I am not rich and have no savings I spent my savings in the first year in Thailand with noobie mistakes lost 2 million bhat in a internet cafe business and so on,

I am now on a Ed visa but it is due to finish in 3 months and with all the clamp downs going on I am getting worried about how I will continue to live here and don't want the hassle of juggling the visas, I can not afford the elite visa and even if I could I don't think I would pay £13k for 5 years it is very steap IMHO,

So what other options have I got with the moderate income I have ?

I was in the same kind of situation in relation to visas but financially on the other end, been here years on end on back to back metv, saw the clamp down comming,

If you break down the elite visa it's about 215 Stirling a month so it's actually not that much, however the upfront payment can be daunting, 

I looked at the PE elite and almost bit the bullet, but ended up going for a business BOE visa, as I work for an Australian asx300, as even with the elite as my work is remote still a small chance of me being caught, 

In your situation perhaps if you have a degree you could go down the teaching path, while the pay is not the best it at least comes with a work permit that will allow you to stay here long term, I have 2 friends who are teachers and they love it, and are mainly doing it for the visa, they only teach a few hours a day, hope that helps

1 hour ago, kmw said:

I was in the same kind of situation in relation to visas but financially on the other end, been here years on end on back to back metv, saw the clamp down comming,

If you break down the elite visa it's about 215 Stirling a month so it's actually not that much, however the upfront payment can be daunting, 

I looked at the PE elite and almost bit the bullet, but ended up going for a business BOE visa, as I work for an Australian asx300, as even with the elite as my work is remote still a small chance of me being caught, 

In your situation perhaps if you have a degree you could go down the teaching path, while the pay is not the best it at least comes with a work permit that will allow you to stay here long term, I have 2 friends who are teachers and they love it, and are mainly doing it for the visa, they only teach a few hours a day, hope that helps

elite visa is out of the question for me i just aint got that sort of money and even if you break it down to 215 gbp a month its still a joke if you consider that other yearly visas cost 1900 bhat 

and unfortunately i left school without a degree and went down the trade route i have qualifications for trades that will be no good for applying for a teaching job,

by the looks of it i will just have to try get another ed visa i have only had one so shouldnt be a problem and look to get married in the future

its quite funny actually you used to hear about thai women marrying a English man for a visa and now its the other way round lol how times have changed 

6 minutes ago, wes360 said:

elite visa is out of the question for me i just aint got that sort of money and even if you break it down to 215 gbp a month its still a joke if you consider that other yearly visas cost 1900 bhat 

and unfortunately i left school without a degree and went down the trade route i have qualifications for trades that will be no good for applying for a teaching job,

by the looks of it i will just have to try get another ed visa i have only had one so shouldnt be a problem and look to get married in the future

its quite funny actually you used to hear about thai women marrying a English man for a visa and now its the other way round lol how times have changed 

Some women (most) look for some level of security both here and back in UK. 

Not sure £1200/month cuts it. You will run out of visa options sooner or later. 

depending on the £ exchange, I would assume even the married route would not be an option for you!

The future for you in Thailand will become more difficult! Why not secure your money first in your homecountry and then when you have enough funds move and have a good life?

Why try now with 33 years and maybe have a nice life for let's say the next 7 years and then with 40 you have to go back to your homecountry and at that time it will be probably much more difficult to go back work there!

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

...Keep working until you can either afford elite visa or get married....

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

The folly of youth.

I agree with @Sheryl here.  If you are under 50, Marriage and/or having actual Thai family (biological/adopted) is probably the best option.  Runners up:  Working /obtain work permit or starting a business that would allow you to obtain non-B.  

Even if you are over 50,  marriage to a Thai (if you don't already have kids) isn't such a bad option if you can tolerate your partner's expectations.  Once you realize you are not getting any younger, the option becomes more attractive.

20 minutes ago, HampiK said:

...The future for you in Thailand will become more difficult! Why not secure your money first in your homecountry and then when you have enough funds move and have a good life?...

Also agree here.  If you don't have any roots, this isn't a bad way to do it.  In fact, several expats do the split year route.  Spend x months at home, and x months in Thailand.  It will put you in a better position financially, and you still get to relax along the way.

Edited by 4evermaat

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Some women (most) look for some level of security both here and back in UK. 

Not sure £1200/month cuts it. You will run out of visa options sooner or later. 

i dont need money to get women so not a problem for me 

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

As you are short of money you will not be able to afford health insurance much less pay for medical care.

You say you are not a burden to Thailand but one bad accident and you will be.

Solve both this and the visa issue by getting legal employment here and coverage under Social Security. Once you have paid into SS for a full year you can continue the cover for life at very affordable rates ensuring access to free health care.

Keep working until you can either afford elite visa or get married.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

i didnt realize that if i have a accident and have no money to pay for med care thai gov would pay the bill for me i thought if i didnt have money to pay i would get turned away

20 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

I agree with @Sheryl here.  If you are under 50, Marriage and/or having actual Thai family (biological/adopted) is probably the best option.  Runners up:  Working /obtain work permit or starting a business that would allow you to obtain non-B.  

Even if you are over 50,  marriage to a Thai (if you don't already have kids) isn't such a bad option if you can tolerate your partner's expectations.  Once you realize you are not getting any younger, the option becomes more attractive.

Also agree here.  If you don't have any roots, this isn't a bad way to do it.  In fact, several expats do the split year route.  Spend x months at home, and x months in Thailand.  It will put you in a better position financially, and you still get to relax along the way.

i have roots here everything i own is here and i also have 2 dogs that i am not willing to give up i would rather move to Cambodia then go back to the uk  

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, wes360 said:

i just want to make clear i started this thread to ask what are my best options visa wise, i don't need people who know nothing about living in London UK telling me to go back home, although i could make more money if i was back in the UK working i still wouldn't be able to live the life style i live in Thailand i am perfectly happy living in Thailand with the income i have that is not my problem the visa issue is, i just thought maybe there was another avenue i could take that i already haven't looks like there is not so mod please close  

You have replay yourself, go Cambodia with your dogs, Thailand go more difficulty time for westerns peoples have enough money or more money.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wes360 said:

i just want to make clear i started this thread to ask what are my best options visa wise, i don't need people who know nothing about living in London UK telling me to go back home, although i could make more money if i was back in the UK working i still wouldn't be able to live the life style i live in Thailand i am perfectly happy living in Thailand with the income i have that is not my problem the visa issue is, i just thought maybe there was another avenue i could take that i already haven't looks like there is not so mod please close  

You have advice already. Pretty much zero. Also someone who basically does not work at age of 33. 

With very little funds...

You should already know option to live in los. Perhaps a gofundme is next step. Visa forum is for sensible advice, which you have above. 

Yes mod OP asked for close. Excellent idea.

17 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Go back and read your own replies to the other posters.

Everything you own is here. 

have two dogs

Free girls

33 years old and been here for 4 years.

mate...WAKE UP. It all sounds great now - what happens in 5 or 10 years time?

Use your trade where you can make good money and reassess the situation cos this one is not going to end well for you.

Work hard and actually EARN the right to have the good life. Trust me 4 or 5 years as a young guy banging away is great - we all did it- back home. But you are going to end up in a world of hurt in SEA.

In my opinion you would be better off using your trade to save some serious money (still bang the local girls while you are doing it) have holidays in Thailand and set yourself up for the future I Thailand. Read this forum  more and you will see how many older men have had their dreams turn to shit because they didn't plan anything. They thought they could live the tropical lifestyle with a hot babe on each arm on their pension forever. Didn't happen and now they are stuck in with a shitty life and cant even afford to go back home. Splashing out on a 3000 baht a month fan room and chasing balloons while they drink their Leo they bought from 7/11 and snuck it into the bar.

At least they have a pension - the way you are going you may have nothing.

Apparently IDC is not the most pleasant of places to spend an extended time and it is quite possible you may end up there.

Edit to add I also come from a trades based background but worked hard and did extra schooling to get better qualifications and it has paid off big time. You can do it too.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wes360 said:

You are a car crash waiting to happen.  By the sound of it you have no need to be in London with the associated expense, so find somewhere you can work, earn money and plan for your next 50 years, some of which may be in Thailand.

Your best options visa wise, since you asked, are not in Thailand.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey an option you could look at is a work permit, no degree or education required, cost is about 10k thb per year through iglu they issue a boi work permit and you don't even need to be working, you can google iglu, generally it's for online project based freelancers, also you can use the one stop at immigration for everything, so in and out within 5 minutes, 90 day reporting etc,

I know of two people that use iglu for long term stay in thailand  and they don't even work, you need to pay out of pocket for the boi work permit and they reimburse you if you put work through them, they do take 30% but you don't really need to put your income via them, I personally don't use them but I think this would be your best option 

Edited by kmw

11 hours ago, kmw said:

Hey an option you could look at is a work permit, no degree or education required, cost is about 10k thb per year through iglu they issue a boi work permit and you don't even need to be working, you can google iglu, generally it's for online project based freelancers, also you can use the one stop at immigration for everything, so in and out within 5 minutes, 90 day reporting etc,

I know of two people that use iglu for long term stay in thailand  and they don't even work, you need to pay out of pocket for the boi work permit and they reimburse you if you put work through them, they do take 30% but you don't really need to put your income via them, I personally don't use them but I think this would be your best option 

I had a look at the website.

Based on your post, if that is how it's operating, how can it be legal?

You would basically have everyone living here on tourist visas join iglu and circumvent the law.

I can see what iglu is, as a business model, but just wondering how they are going vet their applicants in the future.   

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

I had a look at the website.

Based on your post, if that is how it's operating, how can it be legal?

You would basically have everyone living here on tourist visas join iglu and circumvent the law.

I can see what iglu is, as a business model, but just wondering how they are going vet their applicants in the future.   

It's legal they are a boi company, I have no idea how many people who are taking advantage of the loophole, only know if 2 people personally, but they run a catch 22, as people need the work permit before they can start working

2 minutes ago, kmw said:

It's legal they are a boi company, I have no idea how many people who are taking advantage of the loophole, only know if 2 people personally, but they run a catch 22, as people need the work permit before they can start working

I don't need the service, but it is interesting, and may possibly be an option for some, if not many, in the future.

Thanks for your post. 

15 hours ago, Leaver said:

I don't need the service, but it is interesting, and may possibly be an option for some, if not many, in the future.

Thanks for your post. 

No worries, also you don't need to put all of your salary through them, they are from  I gather happy whatever you can give them, I know that one of my friends does affiliate marketing online makes him about $100 aud a month, puts it through iglu to keep them happy, so any income from abroad is fine, even if you invoice yourself lol

Edited by kmw