Pattaya business leaders bemoan strong baht

Rimmer

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, BestB said:

What does dong or graphs have to do with my comment or response ?

do you not know different countries perform differently? Some run budget deficit and some surplus , some have billions in reserves and others have less. 

"It’s called currency manipulation which is often punishable "

You mentioned manipulation, I mentioned manipulation , That about as direct a response as you can get to your comment. The chart comparison is to show the THB is pretty much in line with its neighbour Vietnam, I guess you just ignore facts

Just proves that manipulation is complete nonsense. You have any proof or you just going to run with a mythical TV mantra? 

proof please

Next!

Just now, madmen said:

"It’s called currency manipulation which is often punishable "

You mentioned manipulation, I mentioned manipulation , That about as direct a response as you can get to your comment. The chart comparison is to show the THB is pretty much in line with its neighbour Vietnam, I guess you just ignore facts

Just proves that manipulation is complete nonsense. You have any proof or you just going to run with a mythical TV mantra? 

proof please

Next!

What on earth are you going on about. 

5 minutes ago, BestB said:

What on earth are you going on about. 

Maybe I got you wrong. I thought you believed the baht was manipulated ? In any case for those that do the comparison chart I posted shows The Baht trend is in line with its neighbours which disproves the Manipulation theory 

1 minute ago, madmen said:

Maybe I got you wrong. I thought you believed the baht was manipulated ?

I responded to someone saying government can just devalue it and my response was that it is called currency manipulation which is punishable 

besides strong baht woes lots of thai business venues with live music are complaining and/or closing because they are not profitable when local powers that be just come along and make them close early at a whim.

19 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Apart from the girls - Thailand really only has tourism - that goes, they are really up toilet creek

in my humble opinion much of that has gone, due to obesity and inflated prices so not a whole lot left.

ps; unless you are into fat chicks

It’s called currency manipulation which is often punishable 

Yep. I read that this is apparently happening in the European Union as well and other parts of the world so it’s not just Thailand. It’s interesting sometimes how governments can get away with cheating the system in the same way that it’s illegal for us to do. It’s literally the same thing as bank fraud but it’s ok if it’s a government doing it. It’s stuff like that which is slowly leading the world into a state of disorder.

2 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Not really true - most economies are trying to push their currency down to remain competitive by boosting exports and reducing import. Thailand is alone in pushing their currency up and weakening the country's economy.

The British are trying to push their economy down.  I'll agree there.  

30 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Apart from the girls - Thailand really only has tourism - that goes, they are really up toilet creek

Exports in Thailand averaged 10712.47 USD Million from 1991 until 2019, reaching an all time high of 22794.45 USD Million in August of 2018.  You do know that Thailand is the 10th largest exporter of cars in the world?  

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/exports

the way I see it the closer the Thai Baht gets to the Australian Dollar the cheaper  everything in Australia becomes Australians working for big Dollars now will finish up with a big fist full of Dollars worth nothing their properties and houses worth a lot now will drop like rocks in other words Australia will become a third country

2 minutes ago, johnarth said:

the way I see it the closer the Thai Baht gets to the Australian Dollar the cheaper  everything in Australia becomes Australians working for big Dollars now will finish up with a big fist full of Dollars worth nothing their properties and houses worth a lot now will drop like rocks in other words Australia will become a third country

Housing prices have stabilised and starting to increase.

8 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Never mind. There are Indian tourists on every corner and Chinese tour buses are rushing around like crazy.

Zero dollar tourists are as much use as an ashtray on a bike

1 hour ago, johnarth said:

I can tell you having lived in Thailand for few decades and having visited Sydney just last month, Thailand is more expansive for quite a few things.

Example clothing in Sydney was cheaper, even prescription glasses were cheaper.

In Thailand, for no brand frame with good lens cost me 15000 baht, in Oz, i got 3 designer frames, with same level of lenses for $500, ie 10 000 baht.

As i mentioned earlier, strong baht is only half the problem, high and rising prices is another.

3 hours ago, Enki said:

It is not nonsense. It depends basically on what edge you live. And it has nothing to do with *here*.

If I need $1000 per month to live, I have to get it.

If I used to have three customers per month to pay $333 and now only have two: those two have to pay $500. It is as simple as that. How would I get my $1000 by lowering the price? Where should magically 2 more customers pop up?

Very Thai - just put the price up to compensate for losing business then sit around with your thumb up your jacksy wondering why you now have no customers.  Try thinking, oh, hang on, maybe I should make a better product, or provide a better service, care about my customers a little and get more of them. Nah, that'll never catch on in Soi Parasite.

Same issue in many hot countries where it is far easier to sit around waiting for a coconut to fall on your head knowing it wont do any damage.

1 hour ago, johnarth said:

Australian expats living off  rent money have taken a double blow with the crash of the market and Their offshore income getting mauled by the baht. Very hard to sell property in OZ now and being a buyers market nobody is rushing in to throw money at it. All doom and gloom from analysts 

8 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Never mind. There are Indian tourists on every corner and Chinese tour buses are rushing around like crazy.

The Indians congregating on klang are blocking the road. 

Spending in their Indian friends shops.

Certainly not bars.

Chinese tourists just whiz past in their package tour buses to the venues already booked overseas for them. 

They don't spend a cracker (Joke)

On the soi.

Unless its pre arranged shopping outlets. 

The Indian tourists want discounts. 

The Chinese think one baht is a good tip.

The government may welcome them but the average thai on the street gets nothing from it.

4 hours ago, Enki said:

It is not nonsense. It depends basically on what edge you live. And it has nothing to do with *here*.

If I need $1000 per month to live, I have to get it.

If I used to have three customers per month to pay $333 and now only have two: those two have to pay $500. It is as simple as that. How would I get my $1000 by lowering the price? Where should magically 2 more customers pop up?

What planet are you on?

You should sell icecream to the eskimos. 

333 to 500 is around 33% increase for the same commodity. 

To paraphrase you, where will you find 2 punters to pay 500 for a product that is 333?

If that's easy to do, why not sell at 500 anyway and make 1500 a month. 

I'm in a 650 baht a day hotel and nobody is here except me.

20 rooms.

I'm actually paying the owner 400 a night cash.

Remove the travel sites and commissions. 

And he keeps 400 baht..

Nice place too. Pattaya central. 

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

They are not alone. Pretty much every farang I know here is unhappy about it also. Thais aren't the only ones looking at overseas travel, as for those with foreign income, other places are becoming more attractive to them too.

Yes, an increase of 20-25% against the most of the EU currencies during the last decade is both significant and incomrehensible. It has a negative effect on the most of the expats and many find it difficult to meet the financial requirements that doesn't seem to change accordingly - rather the opposite ...

So all the whining about that the money goes elsewhere will only be louder if no countermeasures are made - what and when remains to see, but it's urgent ...

10 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

The Indians congregating on klang are blocking the road. 

Spending in their Indian friends shops.

Certainly not bars.

Chinese tourists just whiz past in their package tour buses to the venues already booked overseas for them. 

They don't spend a cracker (Joke)

On the soi.

Unless its pre arranged shopping outlets. 

The Indian tourists want discounts. 

The Chinese think one baht is a good tip.

The government may welcome them but the average thai on the street gets nothing from it.

There is a reality to the situation.

Statistically  Thai ToT  counts arrivals of "tourists" up , down, or stable. Origin  not so important  in  total  numbers.

Currency Exchanges report on local currency exchange, origin not so important.

Standard Thai  vendors  of items designated  for  tourist  consumption count a  downturn in trade and profits.

Tour Companies, Hotels, Airlines, designated  retail outlets all  in an association with each other have cornered a market. The  money is in there but it is secluded and lucrative.

In business strategy it is clever but harsh on the pioneers of  original tourism services who  now miss any bite on the  cherry.

Fora few years I was involved in tourism. Tough market now.

An interesting trend is the increasing market for  Cruise Ship vacations which currently can not cope with demand  despite  massive increases in  cruise ship construction. An almost  perfect "captive" all inclusive market ! lol

29 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

There is a reality to the situation.

Statistically  Thai ToT  counts arrivals of "tourists" up , down, or stable. Origin  not so important  in  total  numbers.

Currency Exchanges report on local currency exchange, origin not so important.

Standard Thai  vendors  of items designated  for  tourist  consumption count a  downturn in trade and profits.

Tour Companies, Hotels, Airlines, designated  retail outlets all  in an association with each other have cornered a market. The  money is in there but it is secluded and lucrative.

In business strategy it is clever but harsh on the pioneers of  original tourism services who  now miss any bite on the  cherry.

Fora few years I was involved in tourism. Tough market now.

An interesting trend is the increasing market for  Cruise Ship vacations which currently can not cope with demand  despite  massive increases in  cruise ship construction. An almost  perfect "captive" all inclusive market ! lol

RE - Statistically  Thai ToT  counts arrivals of "tourists" up , down, or stable. Origin  not so important  in  total  numbers.

How come ????  When something is counted and compared it's all about total numbers … 

You may compare that statement with another of Your statements - "only dead Fish go with the flow"

Yes, this is not only correct, but also obvious as dead fish do not need oxygen - JustSaying .. :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, ttrd said:

RE - Statistically  Thai ToT  counts arrivals of "tourists" up , down, or stable. Origin  not so important  in  total  numbers.

How come ????  When something is counted and compared it's all about total numbers … 

You may compare that statement with another of Your statements - "only dead Fish go with the flow"

Yes, this is not only correct, but also obvious as dead fish do not need oxygen - JustSaying .. :thumbsup:

Hmmm. Perhaps the easiest  way to  count dead  fish is to   count them as they pass  by on the down current. There is  no  correlation  to the  actual  number  of  fish "in total" because that is an unknown such as are  arrivals and departures  via an airport without discriminating between  transits and  stayers.

The only honest  number are the dead fish ( real tourists) and the smell they leave  behind ( $Cash! ") ????

Archived