New e-wallet scam empties bank accounts in minutes, police warn

webfact

34 minutes ago, Duck J Butters said:

But dude, just use your credit card to make online purchases. Unless you're from the third world, most credit card companies automatically reverse any suspect charges you complain about.

There is a fair level of protection with a credit card but they cant protect you from identity theft when a company stores your info and then gets hacked.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

The use of using Thais exclusively in their writing shows their myoptic view of the world....

If you read the article, it says "the culprit would pretend to be a customer wanting to buy goods and ask for the seller’s Thai ID card number ". Ergo, the scammed persons are Thai.

25 minutes ago, topt said:

Very big of you. So as a fraudster you seem to suggest that scamming money from others is ok?

Well it was a bank and they have been scamming the public for a very long time.If you don't believe me check out the recent Australian Banking Royal Commission. 

Just about on-topic but I use a pre-paid Debit card (MasterCard) for online shopping. That way I can only lose whatever i've chosen to load the card with. So, in the unlikely event that I get scammed and also cannot sort it out, i can only ever lose what's on the card. If that happened and the card company didn't assist me - dump the card and get a new one......from another company! 

Maybe a bit paranoid but my important (Credit and Debit) card details are shared as little as possible.

56 minutes ago, Duck J Butters said:

Why on Earth would you stop buying online? If there is any form of identity theft these days, your credit card company will refund you immediately. My credit card company instantly reverses a charge when I complain about it ( very easy to do if the charge is foreign and very very easy to abuse and get away with it ). Not to mention I get 3% cash back on every purchase I make with my CC and 0 foreign transactions fees. Boggles my mind why on Earth anyone would ever use cash or risk holding any substantial amount of cash anywhere that is not a bank. So many things can go wrong. I've had large sums of money in Bangkok Bank for a very long time. No issues. But dude, just use your credit card to make online purchases. Unless you're from the third world, most credit card companies automatically reverse any suspect charges you complain about. Obviously, you can't abuse this too much but I won't lie, I've gone on a couple $2k shopping sprees that I claimed were fraud. Fully paid for by my CC company.  Gracias. Impossible to prove in a foreign country so US companies just automatically refund you. 

Theif!

I buy online only from a few trusted suppliers. I use a debit card all the time in Australia, about once a year here. I simply don't trust any form of EFT here, too many vulnerabilities. Bank passbook and cash only.

Ten years here, and I've never been scammed, at least not with money. I must be doing something right.

7 minutes ago, bimmerbob said:

.........so still living in the last century

Why you are so proud pay with credit card ? Credit card the name say you not have money and you take a credit. I not have credit card only debit card over 600 baths, I buy with internet a lot but I pay on reception only with cash.

58 minutes ago, Duck J Butters said:

Why on Earth would you stop buying online? If there is any form of identity theft these days, your credit card company will refund you immediately. My credit card company instantly reverses a charge when I complain about it ( very easy to do if the charge is foreign and very very easy to abuse and get away with it ). Not to mention I get 3% cash back on every purchase I make with my CC and 0 foreign transactions fees. Boggles my mind why on Earth anyone would ever use cash or risk holding any substantial amount of cash anywhere that is not a bank. So many things can go wrong. I've had large sums of money in Bangkok Bank for a very long time. No issues. But dude, just use your credit card to make online purchases. Unless you're from the third world, most credit card companies automatically reverse any suspect charges you complain about. Obviously, you can't abuse this too much but I won't lie, I've gone on a couple $2k shopping sprees that I claimed were fraud. Fully paid for by my CC company.  Gracias. Impossible to prove in a foreign country so US companies just automatically refund you. 

So you are a dishonest person who adds to the costs of credit cards for honest people. Just as well your real identity is concealed on TV, as some might consider jail time for fraud would be appropriate.

19 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

If you read the article, it says "the culprit would pretend to be a customer wanting to buy goods and ask for the seller’s Thai ID card number ". Ergo, the scammed persons are Thai.

Minor correction (I think): I'm American and I just got a Thai ID card, the pink card. I got it included when I went to be put in my girlfriend's Blue Book as a regular resident in her condo. I also was given a Yellow Book and my motive was that all this may exempt me from having to file the dreaded TM 30. 

3 hours ago, Cheops said:

Dumb comment. 

If it was in the US, would the article state 'the police warned the Americans and all foreigners'?

Of course not, so stop the stupid Thai bashing!

Actually, if in the U.S., the news report would just say "people" or "residents"... 

Only Trump and Co. are obsessed with people's status as Americans vs. coming from other countries.

4 hours ago, Wiggy said:

It seems only Thais are affected by this as there's no need to warn other nationalities ????

Actually you are correct in your sarcasm. Foreigners are unable to register for domestic eWallets currently. Eg. Rabbit, 7-Eleven, Lazada, True, etc.

6 minutes ago, Yme said:

Actually you are correct in your sarcasm. Foreigners are unable to register for domestic eWallets currently. Eg. Rabbit, 7-Eleven, Lazada, True, etc.

With the scant attention paid to security and privacy in Thailand that might not be a bad thing ????

35 minutes ago, bimmerbob said:

.........so still living in the last century

So anyone who does not live on a credit card lives in the last century? I had problems with people skimming my details and using them to buy online. I do not have a credit card because I believe that if you don't have the cash to buy something then you cannot afford it. I buy plenty on the internet and I pay COD and have never had a problem so maybe it is you that lives on a credit card is still living in the last century.

23 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Actually, if in the U.S., the news report would just say "people" or "residents"... 

Only Trump and Co. are obsessed with people's status as Americans vs. coming from other countries.

Also would include a translation in Spanish.  

2 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

So anyone who does not live on a credit card lives in the last century? I had problems with people skimming my details and using them to buy online. I do not have a credit card because I believe that if you don't have the cash to buy something then you cannot afford it. I buy plenty on the internet and I pay COD and have never had a problem so maybe it is you that lives on a credit card is still living in the last century.

And that's your choice to which you are quite entitled - long may that remain.

I will use cash wherever possible too, however, there are some websites where that wouldn't work - example, Amazon UK where you pay when you order - no option.

They are actually the only site that has my genuine CC details logged - I trust their business model and security.

Oh and using a credit card does not automatically mean your're using credit. I pay my card off in full so getting the benefits of the card whilst still only buying what I can afford. As ever.....YMMV.

33 minutes ago, bimmerbob said:

.so still living in the last century

U.K. fraud stats for 2018. 1.2 billion pounds through fraud and scams. Unauthorised financial fraud losses across payment cards, remote banking and cheques totalled 884.8 million up 16% on 2017. Authorised push payment scams losses 354.3 million. Banks prevented 1,66 billion in unauthorised fraud. Mobile banking fraud up 20% on 2017. On its way to a bank near you. Very much this century sorry to say.

10 minutes ago, VBF said:

example, Amazon UK where you pay when you order - no option.

They are actually the only site that has my genuine CC details logged - I trust their business model and security.

Amazon has already been seriously hacked. Have a google.

I must say I kind of feel very uneasy about online banking and credit card transactions in this country.

Until now I did not encounter a real problem except for one of my accounts was suddenly negative!?
Was ready to call the bank but it was corrected after signing out and in again on the app. Still left me with a weird feeling.
Also the amount of potentially unsafe websites one encounters in this country is unbelievable.

What I do not like at all is after going through all the trouble of arranging 3Dsecurity with my credit card company only to encounter a large Thai insurance company not using any of the verification procedures when doing business with them online which is unacceptable!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

18 minutes ago, Rocking Robert said:

Bank of America gave me a companion card that is leaked to my main card,but one has a 1000 USA limit.  Use it all the time. All bank have them

A companion card in your name, or in someone else's name?  I haven't heard of U.S. banks issuing companion cards in the original cardholder's name. It's usually for spouses, BF/GF, children, etc.

2 hours ago, potless said:

Amazon has already been seriously hacked. Have a google.

But no-one lost any money because Amazon are reputable enough to sort it out.

2 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

I must say I kind of feel very uneasy about online banking and credit card transactions in this country.
<snip>

Which, IMO is the point. Online transactions are largely safe as long as both sides exercise due diligence.

As I suggested above (#44), that's what is lacking in Thailand. Not exclusively of course, there are pirates everywhere but in general Thailand is one of the least secure and careful places....IMO!

17 minutes ago, VBF said:

But no-one lost any money because Amazon are reputable enough to sort it out.

Fair enough. Its the personal details that were lost that was the main cause for concern. Happy shopping anyway.????

7 minutes ago, potless said:

Fair enough. Its the personal details that were lost that was the main cause for concern. Happy shopping anyway.????

Thank you. ????I would think that having had their cards compromised, the punters would tell the card companies and get the cards reissued. I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that's what Amazon would have advised. What i meant by them being reputable unlike some other online merchants,

4 hours ago, chang1 said:

Apart from the phone number, why would anyone give this kind of information to a customer?

erm.. because thats how customers pay for goods with online payments !!! 

This sounds like a very poor implementation, i it allows e-wallet creation using details (email / phone number) of the target that doesnt need confirmation of the recipient.. Then they have an e-wallet confirm (thats clearly thier own fault but..). 

Once again shows how poorly designed so much e-commerce is here.. 

A few years ago I used to run a walletized e-gold service for sales and storage, the constant black hat e-pen testing being done on the site, where multi millions where held was the kind of thing would keep you up at night,, 

15 minutes ago, VBF said:

Thank you. ????I would think that having had their cards compromised, the punters would tell the card companies and get the cards reissued. I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that's what Amazon would have advised. What i meant by them being reputable unlike some other online merchants,

The main purpose of my posts on this thread has been to raise awareness and hopefully make people think a bit. Lots of people are quite savvy about these issues but there are plenty that arent. Some actually dont want to know. I've seen it in their faces when the subject comes up. People dont like having their boat rocked.????

Archived