New e-wallet scam empties bank accounts in minutes, police warn

webfact

19 minutes ago, potless said:

The main purpose of my posts on this thread has been to raise awareness and hopefully make people think a bit. Lots of people are quite savvy about these issues but there are plenty that arent. Some actually dont want to know. I've seen it in their faces when the subject comes up. People dont like having their boat rocked.????

True....and there are also a lot of otherwise intelligent people who are scared of technology which is sometimes why they appear not to want to know.

i'm so happy to be a Geek ????

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My source is telling me it's most definitely a foreigner (A Thai would not do stuff like this), from inside of Thailand, likely over 50, that, under the pretext of being a pensioneer, came into the Kingdom to commit crimes, due to the easy visas Thailand generously gives to foreign pensioneers.

6 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Civilized countries would just say members of the public. They don't state nationalities. The warning in civilized countries would be inclusive of everyone who's in the country. 

Right, so I guess the US is not really civilized then, since many times they write and talk about 'protecting the American people'. They don't give a ... about all people in their country, just the American people. 

The President Announces New Actions to Protect Americans' Privacy and Identity

8 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I doubt that in the U.S. it would say 'Americans', but it wiuld probably be along the line of "...warned the public..."

Sent from my SM-J415F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Especially the US always talks about the American people.

8 hours ago, expatfromwyoming said:

Seems you excel with the banal platitudes

I don't understand the meaning of platitudes, nor Google Translate does, so your post doesn't mean anything to me. But I guess you don't agree with my post, which comments on the Thai bashing. 

7 minutes ago, Cheops said:

Right, so I guess the US is not really civilized then, since many times they write and talk about 'protecting the American people'. They don't give a ... about all people in their country, just the American people. 

I have no idea how civilized they are. My point was alluding to how they’d make an announcement regarding the public’s welfare. I’m not going down the rabbit hole that is their policy on citizens’ rights. The two aren’t the same. 

1 minute ago, rkidlad said:

I have no idea how civilized they are. My point was alluding to how they’d make an announcement regarding the public’s welfare. I’m not going down the rabbit hole that is their policy on citizens’ rights. The two aren’t the same. 

My point was of course not their policy on citizens rights, but the US are often addressing their citizens as the American people in announcements, hence my example. 

7 minutes ago, Cheops said:

My point was of course not their policy on citizens rights, but the US are often addressing their citizens as the American people in announcements, hence my example. 

Again, you’re referencing things that apply to US citizens only. Things that wouldn’t apply to everyone. 

A killer on the loose, a hurricane, a scam, etc, applies to everyone within the country. Hence my post on how they’re not the same thing. 

6 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

No need to warn falangs because we are way smarter than Thais,are we not?

Not people who can't spell the word 'farang', since it's not "falang"!

1 minute ago, rkidlad said:

Again, you’re referencing things that apply to US citizens only. Things that wouldn’t apply to everyone. 

A killer on the loose, a hurricane, a scam, etc, applies to everyone within the country. Hence my post on how they’re not the same thing. 

Well, I could find some more examples, but you know what: you win. Are you happy now? 

Have a nice weekend.

Oh, btw, my example of protecting the privacy should of course apply to everyone, but they address only the American people.

1 minute ago, Cheops said:

Well, I could find some more examples, but you know what: you win. Are you happy now? 

Have a nice weekend.

Oh, btw, my example of protecting the privacy should of course apply to everyone, but they address only the American people.

It should but it doesn’t. At least the right to pertinent information applies to all. 

5 hours ago, Yme said:

Actually you are correct in your sarcasm. Foreigners are unable to register for domestic eWallets currently. Eg. Rabbit, 7-Eleven, Lazada, True, etc.

For tax refunds for foreigners you need an E-wallet, which is easily made at Krung Thai bank. 

12 hours ago, webfact said:

A recent online post of the Royal Thai Police's Thailand Action Taskforce for Information Technology Crime Suppression (Tactics) via facebook.com/tacticspolice

Now that's a mouthful!

12 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Which is why I refuse to have a credit card, only cash if possible or bank transfer.

Use a credit card with a virtual number. Or an app, like “Token” or “Privacy”  that will generate a virtual number for you. Then if someone gets your credit card number and privacy code, they won’t be able to use it.

20 hours ago, Cheops said:

Dumb comment. 

If it was in the US, would the article state 'the police warned the Americans and all foreigners'?

Of course not, so stop the stupid Thai bashing!

Dumber comment.

Thai bashing? Was I? If anyone, I was bashing the writer of the article. Whether or not he/she is Thai is irrelevant. If the article applies only to Thais as only they are affected (as suggested by some on here) then why translate it as it is irrelevant. As for a report in the US saying what you suggested I would hope not as everyone is equal and nobody shouldn’t be singled out. 

4 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Dumber comment.

Thai bashing? Was I? If anyone, I was bashing the writer of the article. Whether or not he/she is Thai is irrelevant. If the article applies only to Thais as only they are affected (as suggested by some on here) then why translate it as it is irrelevant. As for a report in the US saying what you suggested I would hope not as everyone is equal and nobody shouldn’t be singled out. 

Given the many likes and thanks on my post, my post was definitely not dumber.

If you wanted to comment on the Nation or the journalist of this article you should be more clear, but I think that was not the purpose of your post. Anyway, the article of the Nation refers to the original article and in that article they do warn the public and not specifically Thais. 

On 7/5/2019 at 4:41 PM, Cheops said:

Dumb comment. 

If it was in the US, would the article state 'the police warned the Americans and all foreigners'?

Maybe. Pity there is no 'tongue in cheek' emoji.

On 7/5/2019 at 1:41 PM, Cheops said:

Dumb comment. 

It would probably say 'Police have warned everyone'. As usual the Thais are more than likely only bothered about their own. Stop the stupid foreigner bashing.

It amazes me that ANYONE would do ANYTHING with their bank accounts that they didn't initiate themselves with a full understanding of what they're doing and wasn't absolutely sure that a legitimate banking institute is involved. If there is 0.01% of doubt, STOP!!!

Archived