Having recently married at the local Amphur I thought it would be a good idea to obtain a Yellow House Book.   Silly Me!

I had already found out what documentation would be required and sure enough on the day of application everything was found to be in order.

I was then subjected to a series of questions, such as -  
when did I first come to Thailand, and having told the official was then questioned as to why I did not have the retirement stamps for the first 6 years in my current passport.  I  replied that this was my second passport  which seemed to satisfy her.

Then I was asked how much money do you bring into Thailand each month, to which I replied 'enough to comply with the Immigration Rules'.   With that a look of disdain came from the official but she then moved on

The next question was 'when did you last do a 90 day report?'  I replied 14 June 2019 and open my passport to show her the stamped 90 day piece of paper.  This was followed by when do you have to report again.   Again I pointed to the Immigration document.

How much money do you have in the bank? came the question, followed by the statement that before the official could proceed she would have to check with Immigration that everything was in order and if so the village Headman would have to come to the office to confirm that he knows me (which he does not}.

At this stage my tolerance level was exceeded and having declined to say how much money I had in my bank account, I politely but firmly informed the official that I was no longer interested in obtaining a book and left the office.

I wanted to tell her to stick the said book where sun doesn't shine, but etiquette stopped me.

Oh happy days in LOS!!!!!!!

• Haha 2

Oh holy shit what a mess. What city/village is this in Thailand??

Sorry by the way they treated you.. some of them are just pure

idiots and do not even understand that they are completely out

of line with their stupid questions.

glegolo

Edited by glegolo

Interesting saga, not even close to my experience years ago in Bangkok. The District Office followed the book and issued my Yellow House Book without any questions other than my identity and residence. Seems the OP had very inquisitive officer or they were looking to deny him the YTB anyway. 

• Like 1

I was asked pretty much the sane things and more (including my long deceased father's name) when I applied. I was definitely asked about income etc.

There did not seem to be any right answer my sense was the official was just winging it.

I put up with it, answered and -- after also having to bring in a Thai to vouch for me -- got the book which has been well worth having.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That's total crap what She asked for. You have just got married so you can get one automatically. (Mind you some small offices cant/don't know how do them so make up all sorts of problems)

When we got married we were told that the yellow book would take around 2 hours to prosses. (By the way I hadn't even asked for it) Seems the lady was busy. Or we could come back tomorrow, this we did. Did I have to answer any questions NO. Everything that's needed was in my passport and on my marriage papers I was told. They did ask for wifes blue house book to copy.

Suggest you go back when your lady isn't there, and reapply. They are a very handy thing to have.   

Edited by fredob43

In Khon Kaen I needed a document from the police.

A document from Immigration.

Also had to take the Phu Yai Baan as a witness.

He was there on other business so no problem.

Went and asked at the Amphur first so knew the requirements in advance.

12 minutes ago, fishtank said:

In Khon Kaen I needed a document from the police.

A document from Immigration.

Also had to take the Phu Yai Baan as a witness.

He was there on other business so no problem.

Went and asked at the Amphur first so knew the requirements in advance.

Seems every office has their own made up rules. I think you would now find you don't need Doc: from Immigration as they should have put a note in your passport confirming address. They do that when you have been registered living there by the owner.

N/B we had a visit from the local police yesterday to check I was living at the house. Had just come back from the UK and they now like to check that you are doing what you have said your doing.

They wanted to see P/Port and they only looked at the page that gave my address from Immigration. Didn't want the yellow book though.

Edited by fredob43

1 minute ago, fredob43 said:

Seems every office has their own made up rules. I think you would now find you don't need Doc: from Immigration as they should have put a note in your passport confirming address. They do that when you have been registered living there by the owner.

Yes.

I have TM30 but cannot remember if I had that at the time.

Keep meaning to get the pink ID card but never get round to it.

12 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Yes.

I have TM30 but cannot remember if I had that at the time.

Keep meaning to get the pink ID card but never get round to it.

We get it easy where I live regarding yellow book and other bit's.

But they will not issue me with a Pink card.

They just said that it's for non Thais working or living here. I tried to explain that I was living here and was Not Thai but that didn't seem to hold water. TIT.

Edited by fredob43

Common mistake in these situations is to believe the applicant is the most important person.

My wife set up without my knowledge an application for a yellow book and the pink ID card, it was decided would be good for me to have these items

Wife, mother-in-law, and a very influential lady from the village organised everything, went along, and vouched for me

To be honest I was rather humbled by the attention and time they gave to something that was explicitly for my benefit

I sat back and smiled nicely at the admin staff while the paperwork was completed to the satisfaction of all ????

Perhaps it helped that previously, we patiently assisted the officials through the paperwork for the first farang wedding at the amphur, (ours) Must add very useful information garnered from Tvisa on that one

I believe there are those who misunderstand/underestimate the value/benefits of family and community in Thailand

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1