What Happens to all the Paperwork Immigration produces.

What with all the photocopies for absolutely everything to do with immigration, does anyone know if there is a central storage facility that holds all this backlog of paperwork?  It must run to many many millions of sheets of paper, locked in files somewhere. The Jomtien Office is quite small and yet it processes millions of sheets of paper per year.  It can't all be stored on site so where does it go? How long is paperwork kept for before its incinerated? Just curious. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Sometimes you get paper from them with a copy of some Russian's passport on the other side. So some is just used as scrap.

I think somebody said they keep it for a specific period of time and then it is sold for pulp. 

They definitely don't store most of it for years. The situation would be untenable.

It must mount up at an astonishing rate. I know in my own small office set up at home, how quickly paperwork can accumulate until you need a good  clear out 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Probably gets recycled.

I recall that when I first got to Thailand many of the street food vendors used recycled A4 papers which were crafted into a type of bag (envelope) for packing fried foods.

I would often end up with a photocopy of someone's ID card.

see my next post.  Now I am getting rather twitchy. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Tayaout said:

They don't keep it this is why they keep asking for it. 

If they don't keep it, it means that they don't need it, so what is the point.   I'm not expecting an answer, just asking a rhetorical question. They do it because it's the rule. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

If they don't keep it, it means that they don't need it, so what is the point. 

I think they keep a file for extensions and etc that get a file number when you do it. That is the 1234/2562 number for example shown on the stamps when it is done that is kept in a log book.

Other things such as TM47, TM30 form and etc are only kept for a short period of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

3 baht a kilo for other peoples personal information? They do sell themself cheap.

Yes, but it's free money from the recyclers. Personal information could be avoided if you print nonsense text or crosshatch the the back of your documents.

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Sometimes you get paper from them with a copy of some Russian's passport on the other side. So some is just used as scrap.

I think somebody said they keep it for a specific period of time and then it is sold for pulp. 

They definitely don't store most of it for years. The situation would be untenable.

Great that they "recycle" some other persons personal information, gives great confidence in data privacy.

I  hope they scan it all and it goes onto the personal file of the information owner.

Surely the personal information should be shredded before disposal ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I wonder what UK's Information Commissioner would make of a claim submitted under GDPR to the effect that  British Passport no 123456 in the name of XYZ has been compromised and that HMG are culpable for the breach of data?

Tongue-in-cheek to a certain extent but it does state quite clearly in each Ppt and on HMPO website that Passports remain Govt property & it's something that should be considered if copies of passports etc are still being dispensed on the back of forms instead of being burned or shredded.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Probably gets recycled.

I recall that when I first got to Thailand many of the street food vendors used recycled A4 papers which were crafted into a type of bag (envelope) for packing fried foods.

I would often end up with a photocopy of someone's ID card.

Indeed that was the case - newsprint and used A4 sheets were fashioned into food holders everywhere.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Of course it’s not just Immigration, I suspect that each and every one of us has had a copy of our passport produced every time we book into a hotel, make a large withdrawal or other transaction at a bank or used the toilets at Central Plaza.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

Of course it’s not just Immigration, I suspect that each and every one of us has had a copy of our passport produced every time we book into a hotel, make a large withdrawal or other transaction at a bank or used the toilets at Central Plaza.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Correct, there goes another Forrest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Leaver said:

I would be interested in knowing how all these documents, containing sensitive data that could be easily used for identity theft, are destroyed. 

Eventually they dissolve in a puddle, after a rat has rifled through them for leftovers. 

• Haha 2