What Happens to all the Paperwork Immigration produces.

2 hours ago, RobboR said:

I remember it being a big thing in the UK quite a few years ago. Criminals going through people's bins looking for pertinent information so they could clone and steal data.

The sales of shredders grew exponentially after that!!

Quite. It's surprised me that this doesn't seem to have caught on in Thailand so far.

I manually tear up all data, even down to tearing off my name and address on any marketing mailshots here and shredding that into small strips.

My wife used to think I was eccentric regarding this, but I feel it's better to avoid giving anyone the opportunity to get hold of your data for potential identity theft.

It wasn't until about two years ago my wife read a news article of how two young Thai guys had managed to empty someone's bank account of two million Baht, after requesting a copy of his ID and house registration, by posing as interested buyers of second-hand cars he sold on Facebook.

Since that, my wife also rips up any sensitive information before binning it. She's the one who last week suggested buying a paper shredder.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Great that they "recycle" some other persons personal information, gives great confidence in data privacy.

I  hope they scan it all and it goes onto the personal file of the information owner.

Surely the personal information should be shredded before disposal ?

your last point....WHERE are you....your in Thailand ....I assume.....

56 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

They keep files for 2 to 3 years.

Then, it is destroyed in a: Document destroy machine.  Which in fact is a shredder.

it must be a massive facility to handle 3 years worth of paper. Where is it located? 

it must be a massive facility to handle 3 years worth of paper. Where is it located? 

Space ‘could’ have been allocated for each office.

In another life, I worked for a (UK) Bank in which all records (every single Cheque/Credit slip had to be kept for 10 years. Most were in the branches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, soistalker said:

Recycled?! You must be new around here. 

Actually A4 sheets used to be recycled as we have pointed out - as food containers.  Then the lead ink issues made that less attractive and people complained when back of A4 sheets were filled with non applicable information.  

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually A4 sheets used to be recycled as we have pointed out - as food containers.  Then the lead ink issues made that less attractive and people complained when back of A4 sheets were filled with non applicable information.  

If the A4 sheets were from immigration, they could use them to improve their Engrish.

36 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

It gets shipped off planet to another planet just outside our solar system !!

The same place the banks use for their paperwork also !! ????????

I heard Koh Larn may be a good option. ????

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Sometimes you get paper from them with a copy of some Russian's passport on the other side. So some is just used as scrap.

I think somebody said they keep it for a specific period of time and then it is sold for pulp. 

They definitely don't store most of it for years. The situation would be untenable.

I always thought this was a computer age. Would I be right in thinking that as so many kids can only qualify from high school because of brown envelopes from parents, is one reason why so many Thais are not computer literate enough, so they have to rely on paperwork so much?

I am not talking only about IO offices, but all these other government offices as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farang99 said:

In preparation for my up-coming marriage extension I have accumulated some 50 sheets of photocopied material. And I'm not finished yet

When I got married here, I must have signed my name about 40 times, on at least 30 sheets of paper. no, seriously.

• Like 2

Just now, possum1931 said:

When I got married here, I must have signed my name about 40 times, on at least 30 sheets of paper. no, seriously.

You were lucky! When I were a kid....

One year when I extended my Non B at immigration, I counted how many times I had to sign and countersign my name on documents. It was 150 times, no exaggerating.

• Thanks 1

Pilotman - I always wondered this myself.  Everything on computer, yet create 20 pages every time I go to Immigration.  Short story.  I was a civilian in Thailand late 1972 after serving 2 years in the AF.  I went back on my own for 13 months and had to do the 'leave the country' every 90 days.  I went to Thailand in 1978 for 6 months with my Thai wife I married in 1973.  I went to the main Immigration office in BKK.  Can't remember why.  All I can say is that the Immigration Officer walked into the room with piles of records from the floor to almost to the ceiling.  In about two minutes he was able to find all my records from 1972 -  1973.  I went in the room with him.  Amazing how my records were located.

Some years ago, my passport was destroyed by flooding and not a single page was readable.  It came at a time when my next extension was due and not having enough time to get a new passport, I went to immigration with my washed out passport.  After it was passed around the office, everyone having a good laugh, they rooted out my file.  It has to have been at least 4 inches thick.  Everything was done from the file, extension granted (stamped on a loose leaf sheet) with instructions to return with my new passport.

After getting my new passport, immigration put a dozen or so stamps in it.  No charge.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kwan said:

A Paperless society is a society in which paper communication (written documents, mail, letters, etc.) is replaced by electronic communication and storage. The concept originated by Frederick Wilfrid Lancaster in 1978.

I have been hearing about it ever since

It  can create a digital divide though for many, those not computer literate, those who have poor/no internet connection.

Those like me who prefer to read paper reports/research papers.

Great idea but has drawbacks 

1 hour ago, Farang99 said:

In preparation for my up-coming marriage extension I have accumulated some 50 sheets of photocopied material. And I'm not finished yet

heading for a world record then !!! and depleting your bank balance ???

They cut the A4 paper in half then write or print on the back and hand them out with 90 day reports. Not unusual to get a receipt with someone's passport details on the other side with a pen strike through it. The remainder is used for toilet paper practice. Once the officials have clearly proven they can wipe their own <deleted> correctly, they then qualify  for some of those ribbons and medals they like to give themselves.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

the street food vendors used recycled A4 papers which were crafted into a type of bag (envelope) for packing fried foods.

Reminds me of when I was a kid in the UK, and used to get fish and chips from the chippie wrapped in old newspapers.....

• Like 1

I assume that all the immigration officers are paid by the revenue generated in selling the second hand paper into recycling for something like B3 - B4 per kilogramme. By the paper tons I've left with them I would assume that there is some loose change left after paying the entire crowd of brown uniformed paper collectors ???? 

19 hours ago, Pilotman said:

so what does that mean for identity security I wonder, especially now that we are having to provide photocopies of bank details and amounts?  Rather concerning. 

You're asking Thais to join the dots. Forget it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I think somebody said they keep it for a specific period of time and then it is sold for pulp.

Also a way to receive tea money!

Also a way to receive tea money!