What Happens to all the Paperwork Immigration produces.

According to the visa agency I use, the paperwork generated by immigration goes to a large government warehouse that can at times be accessed.  More often than not, it is just stored and can't be found again due to immigrations arcane filing system.

I doubt Thai Immigration will ever be an advanced twenty-first-century immigration, due to substandard education and having to pay to advance through the immigration ranks.

Instead of trying to conjure up more ways to discourage westerners from becoming long term residents, maybe they should look for ways to professionalize immigration.  Most westerners who interact with immigration officers for the first time, are shocked at the inconsistencies of their rules and regulations enforcement and lack of professionalism.    

• Like 2

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I always thought this was a computer age. Would I be right in thinking that as so many kids can only qualify from high school because of brown envelopes from parents, is one reason why so many Thais are not computer literate enough, so they have to rely on paperwork so much?

I am not talking only about IO offices, but all these other government offices as well.

I think you are wrong on that one I think Thai kids and any I have seen, as in most countries are very computer savvy and I have yet to see one without a smart phone.

We have a three year old who thinks she owns the Ipad and iPhones nobody has ever taught her but she knows how to operate them baffles me.

Don't say it’s because she is only half Thai because she didn’t inherit the skills from me.

29 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I think you are wrong on that one I think Thai kids and any I have seen, as in most countries are very computer savvy and I have yet to see one without a smart phone.

We have a three year old who thinks she owns the Ipad and iPhones nobody has ever taught her but she knows how to operate them baffles me.

Don't say it’s because she is only half Thai because she didn’t inherit the skills from me.

Well maybe when todays kids grow up, and are computer savvy, they can do away with a lot of this paperwork. Wait a minute. This is Thailand. ????

On 7/5/2019 at 3:55 PM, Bert got kinky said:

Probably gets recycled.

I recall that when I first got to Thailand many of the street food vendors used recycled A4 papers which were crafted into a type of bag (envelope) for packing fried foods.

I would often end up with a photocopy of someone's ID card.

I had forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder.

On 7/5/2019 at 4:27 PM, Toosetinmyways said:

An ex girlfriend of my son worked in immigration. Her job was to manually file all TM6 cards and match arrival and departure halves. It struck me that that system would easily trace most over stayers. She claimed that once the halves were matched they were boxed by year and stored somewhere.

Any job is better than no job, I guess. But I bet she was happy when Friday came around!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2019 at 4:21 AM, Vacuum said:

Yes, but it's free money from the recyclers. Personal information could be avoided if you print nonsense text or crosshatch the the back of your documents.

Tried something similar by using the backs of paper I had previously used for something else after getting copies of other peoples passports in previous visits to CW but these were rejected and I had to make new copies with clean backsides.

On 7/5/2019 at 2:03 AM, Pilotman said:

so what does that mean for identity security I wonder, especially now that we are having to provide photocopies of bank details and amounts?  Rather concerning. 

it means there are no proper standards or protection policies

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 3:27 PM, Pilotman said:

How long is paperwork kept for before its incinerated?

Well last time I sit and wait for a address update here I'm located a mountain of documents was stored behind in the waiting area and all was a kind of extensions (written on the top included the year 2017). Personally I believe they burn this "trees"