Cat poisoning, why so common here?

Cats in our village remain unmolested...they climb walls to gain access to homes...where they defecate, urinate (terrible long-lasting odor) on any clothing or cloth left outdoors, rip the tops of motorcycle seats try to climb up to sleep, get into fights in middle of the night and eat small chickens who can not protect themselves..

Other than that...they are fine to have around...????

2 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Cats in our village remain unmolested...they climb walls to gain access to homes...where they defecate, urinate (terrible long-lasting odor) on any clothing or cloth left outdoors, rip the tops of motorcycle seats try to climb up to sleep, get into fights in middle of the night and eat small chickens who can not protect themselves..

sounds like a good night out in Bangkok in 1970.

2 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

You need to wake up and smell the coffee, ever heard of Rabies which is rife in Thailand ?

I would think that you are much more likely to get a bite from a rabid dog, than from  a scared of humans wild cat. 

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

I would think that you are much more likely to get a bite from a rabid dog, than from  a scared of humans wild cat. 

You can think what you like, feral cats are rabies carriers and have no place amongst the population.

6 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

You can think what you like, feral cats are rabies carriers and have no place amongst the population.

I know they are, but you try catching one.  They will make every effort to avoid human contact.  Soi dogs on the other hand are the opposite of that, much more common, very territorial and often aggressive and therefore a far greater danger. 

3 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Not a meat eater huh?  Nobody said that nature is a walk in the park ... Cruel as God!

6 minutes ago, Jack Mountain said:

Not a meat eater huh?  Nobody said that nature is a walk in the park ... Cruel as God!

What does eating meat have to do with anything?  Did someone suggest that "nature" was a walk in the park?  What the hell does "Cruel as God!" mean?   Do you employ an interpreter?   

9 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Now let's go through the list of human negatives... Thaivisa hasn't the bandwidth nor storage space.

Regardless, thanks for this answer, I think I see the reason as to why this happens now: heartless people with little morals. 

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I have a dog which I walk on a lead and I can assure you the cats are far more aggressive to us than stray dogs. 

I’ve only been here for 5 years but it’s actually not a common occurrence it’s highly frowned upon here to abuse or kill domestic animals (cats and dogs). Sounds like maybe you have a sick neighbor or something where ever you live. That’s probably what it is I bet.

Although I do have a similar story regarding some puppies I was taking care of over a year ago. But that’s a long story and I can’t prove it but I’m pretty sure I know who did it. That’s why now I’ve got IP cameras all over my house inside downstairs and outside all over the yard and front gate.

Cats it seems have a tendency to kill not necessarily for food but for whatever motivates them, over the years I have seen them “ playing” with a bird or other small mammal which they then leave. 

In Australia feral cats are a major problem decimating certain types of wildlife.

I see no reason why the owners cannot keep them contained certainly during the hours of darkness, obviously irresponsible as many are with their dogs.

On 7/6/2019 at 6:27 AM, KiChakayan said:

Sick Thai minds, the are happy getting bitten by vicious mutts, but they poison harmless cats...

We had a cat until a dog killed it. The problem with cats they never poo in their own garden. 

We take in what we believe to be lost/abandoned/orphaned kittens. They usually don't reach maturity because they are either deliberately or accidentally poisoned. Sometimes they go into convulsions dying quickly, others stop eating and waste away for a fortnight until they expire. 

I am trying many things to keep the cats from my garden. They defecate on my lawn, scratch the cushions on the furniture, spray all over the car wheels, and in the back of the truck. spray over the patio doors. I have observed these cats, chased them off, and know where they live as three of them are not feral. When I mention to the "owners" I get blank stares with the comment "But they are cats, they do what cats do". Personally, I think cats, whether domesticated or feral, neutered or not, are a bloody nuisance. 

I still do not think I could bring myself to poison them though. If anyone out there has a remedy to keep them out I would be happy to hear it, apart from the 40 foot high walls, moats, flamethrowers, and bloody huge dog.

...this is not racist...this is 'an unflattering truth'....

...when I came her 16 years ago...one of the first newspaper articles that caught my attention was...

....'The Average IQ of a Thai Student Is 95'....

...you can verify this in the archives...Bangkok Post I believe...

....so......litmus paper test....plus or minus...this is homogeneously accurate through the Thai fabric...

...before 2003...and since...

...nothing more to say...

Archived