changing face of farang teachers

On 7/9/2019 at 8:33 AM, puchooay said:

I tried to. If you have ever dealt with Thai officialdom you will understand that things take time.

I had also just taken a new position. The school were not really sure of what they had to do even though I gave them the paper work from Khurusapa to show them what I needed.

By the time they were up to speed the goal posts had been moved. The decision to not let me slip under the net seemed very harsh and kind of put me off trying again.

Just my luck I guess. I even had a licence back in 2002. I could have got a new licence under the grandfathering rule but, sadly, I had a 3 month break from teaching and thus could not show continual employment.

Never mind. Onwards and upwards and time to move on. More lucrative and rewarding employment is now here.

There were no licences back in 2002.  You would have been grandfathered in, but you didn't meet the criteria.

8 minutes ago, Slip said:

There were no licences back in 2002.  You would have been grandfathered in, but you didn't meet the criteria.

There most certainly were licences. It was a pale blue book, about the same size of the work permit.

Inside you had a black and white passport size photo of the licence holder. What school you were teaching at and the education department that issued it.

This was before the teachers' council was set up. You didn't need a licence to teach but the school I worked for at the time wanted me to have one.

2 hours ago, puchooay said:

Has any anyone actually got a licence recently and can actually tell us what documents and qualifications they used?

I've received my license in August last year, but I'd started my Diploma already a long time before. Even when it was more like a little war, it was very easy and I've never heard that somebody failed such a course.

They make good money with a little bit of work and I guess that's the only, or most important part of it. 

I've used my BA in Social Pedagogy from a good university that had to be authenticated by my embassy, which wasn't cheap and took some time.

Khurusapha still wants to see a letter from your university, sent directly to them. But after my BA was included in my Diploma, it was enough that the Asian university had such a letter for me addressed to the TCT. 

Such a Diploma in TE is just an upgrade of your existing degree. Considering that they currently do not offer any courses, I'd be very careful and not sign up for anything there.

Please check on their website, there are currently no courses offered. 

You've got to be at a school for a minimum of 365 days, not less. Three teachers from your school have to write the evaluation form for you, you'll need a copy of their teaching licenses ( at least three of them) and copies of the director's ID card and, or license. 

Once you've got all documents ready you can apply for it at Khurusapha, they'll tell you that they send the license to your school.

Then pay 500 baht at the TCT and wait for your license.  

P.S. Once you've signed up for such a course, the TCT ( Khurusapha) will issue another provisional teacher's license, or waiver letter, without a problem.

1 hour ago, cyril sneer said:

I thought the St Roberts Group diploma course did the trick for 60000?

Yes, but only when you've got a real degree that can be checked on.

Unfortunately, are all courses on their website currently not offered. That could also be the end of their money making time. 

I've just checked and there's no available ( perhaps accredited?) course.

Here's their website: http://www.saintrobertsgroup.com/ADMISSIONS/

On 7/6/2019 at 5:53 AM, allane said:

And I remember seeing a farang on one of the discussion boards looking for someone to "higher" him to work as an English teacher. and another one who said "I wanna job...", and stated that it was perfectly fine to say that, after I took exception to it.

Some would of hired him.

55 minutes ago, puchooay said:

There most certainly were licences. It was a pale blue book, about the same size of the work permit.

Inside you had a black and white passport size photo of the licence holder. What school you were teaching at and the education department that issued it.

This was before the teachers' council was set up. You didn't need a licence to teach but the school I worked for at the time wanted me to have one.

As you say, that was before the TRT was set up.  They were not licences in the modern sense.  Sorry for any confusion.

On 7/6/2019 at 10:32 AM, Briggsy said:

You have used this phrase to introduce both your posts. It is carefully slipped in to influence the reader. Yet you have not spelled out what you believe the difference is between the past and the present. 

Could you clearly state what you think the change or changes are?

Well, I would second that request. - May I add the disappearance of most African applicants? (Met a few in Vietnam where they get exploited and spend big bucks getting fake documents apostilled. (Degree in English Literally 

Many high school students aren't interested in learning and they cannot fail. 

On 7/12/2019 at 9:04 PM, Isaanbiker said:

Yes, but only when you've got a real degree that can be checked on.

Unfortunately, are all courses on their website currently not offered. That could also be the end of their money making time. 

I've just checked and there's no available ( perhaps accredited?) course.

Here's their website: http://www.saintrobertsgroup.com/ADMISSIONS/

Scroll down to this course

Diploma in Teacher Education (DTE)

I emailed them and they came back with 5000 enrolment fee, and 11x 55000 monthly payment

Don't want to spend money on a more expensive course which is likely to be more difficult and potentially a complete waste of money

18 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

Scroll down to this course

Diploma in Teacher Education (DTE)

I emailed them and they came back with 5000 enrolment fee, and 11x 55000 monthly payment

Don't want to spend money on a more expensive course which is likely to be more difficult and potentially a complete waste of money

Thanks, I've heard of the Christian one before, but it seems that it now belongs to St. Roberts Group on the form, you've attached.

Guess you've made a little typo, 5,500 baht would be what I've paid in total at St. Roberts.

Even when it was accredited for a couple of years, I'd check with the TCT if it still is.

There must have been a reason why the other one isn't offered anymore. 

The courses are offered in LOS, but you'll receive your Diploma and Transcripts from the mother institution in the Philippines.

Please be aware that it will take some time, in my case much longer than they'd promised me.

Once you've signed up for it, you can ask them to send you a document stating your enrollment and a provisional TL will be issued, no matter how many you've already had.

On 7/14/2019 at 7:57 AM, BurgerGung said:

Well, I would second that request. - May I add the disappearance of most African applicants? (Met a few in Vietnam where they get exploited and spend big bucks getting fake documents apostilled. (Degree in English Literally 

Many high school students aren't interested in learning and they cannot fail. 

I always wanted to have a degree in English Literally and one in "English Literature from The University of Surey", ( seen at Khao San rd, written with one r

11 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Thanks, I've heard of the Christian one before, but it seems that it now belongs to St. Roberts Group on the form, you've attached.

Guess you've made a little typo, 5,500 baht would be what I've paid in total at St. Roberts.

Even when it was accredited for a couple of years, I'd check with the TCT if it still is.

There must have been a reason why the other one isn't offered anymore. 

The courses are offered in LOS, but you'll receive your Diploma and Transcripts from the mother institution in the Philippines.

Please be aware that it will take some time, in my case much longer than they'd promised me.

Once you've signed up for it, you can ask them to send you a document stating your enrollment and a provisional TL will be issued, no matter how many you've already had.

I emailed St Roberts Group about a month ago and got these prices (though it doesn't say St Roberts)

Capture.PNG

On 7/6/2019 at 10:01 AM, expatfromwyoming said:

Teaching English in Thailands teacher-centered education system revolves around students copying ‘information'.  When the students are tested they are tested on what they can remember, not what they know or whether they can pronounce words. How can you teach a language to people who are only able to copy words without thinking and have no idea of how words are pronounced. 

Is it any wonder Thai students rank lowly in English proficiency and are the laughing stock of ASEAN

Didactic English instruction is the only way students are taught English mainly due to the class sizes.

On 7/16/2019 at 4:24 PM, cyril sneer said:

I emailed St Roberts Group about a month ago and got these prices (though it doesn't say St Roberts)

Capture.PNG

My other half did an Ed degree through this outfit.  Anything further I can't post due to defamation laws, but she does still have a B Ed.

16 hours ago, Slip said:

My other half did an Ed degree through this outfit.  Anything further I can't post due to defamation laws, but she does still have a B Ed.

You're so right, even when it should be allowed to write the truth about them. All I can say is that there's not one positive thing other than having my license. 

2 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

You're so right, even when it should be allowed to write the truth about them. All I can say is that there's not one positive thing other than having my license. 

I completely understand.  My partner graduated perhaps 3 years ago?  Has finally received the 'confirmation letter' that TCT require to process a licence, after in that time they sent 4 with basic errors in the details.  (Wrong name, wrong course, etc)

On 7/6/2019 at 12:04 PM, puchooay said:

The OP clearly has no clue what he is talking about.

Anyone can leave a position after a month. At that point the teacher will not have received a work permit, will be lucky to have had a contract signed and will likely still be waiting for the paper work to pop over to Laos to obtain a Non B visa.

There are a plethora of native speakers out side of BKK and CM. Only last night I was in a restaurant in a smallish provincial capital. A large table of 20 or so teachers all from USA,UK and AUS.

As for non native speakers, it does matter about your language skills as all non native English speakers need a TOIEC to get permission to teach from the teachers' council and to get a work permit.

The only real change is the turnover of the native speakers. Whereas it used to be easy to find a teacher that had been teaching here for many years, now it is less so as the teachers' council will only allow 2 or 3 waivers.

It's a shame really. For a teacher to be told after 6 years that he is no longer able to do the job that he has been doing, and likely doing well as he is still there, because he does not have the right piece of paper impacts on the students.

... also ageism factors into this as well... for those over 60 who have the desire to still share, teach, and educate.

On 7/17/2019 at 11:16 PM, crickets said:

Didactic English instruction is the only way students are taught English mainly due to the class sizes.

...even more, when freshman intake is in a steady decline at universities. ADM needs to make sure that future students pass..

On 7/20/2019 at 6:27 PM, Slip said:

I completely understand.  My partner graduated perhaps 3 years ago?  Has finally received the 'confirmation letter' that TCT require to process a licence, after in that time they sent 4 with basic errors in the details.  (Wrong name, wrong course, etc)

I've seen quite a lot as well. Unfortunately, some students who accidentally sent their assignments on the open website, instead of sending it to a professor, turned out to a nightmare.

Even when it wasn't allowed to plagiarize, it didn't seem to matter.

Some Asian and African teachers who did so had copied and pasted stuff from various websites, and it finally didn't make any sense at all.

Not even considering wrongly written words and sentence structure. 

But money rules and all these people now have a teacher's license — even those with a TOEIC test score of 400.

What an incredible institution.

Archived