‘Drunk’ foreign tourists filmed riding on the roof of Chiang Mai songthaew

rooster59

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Ms Saepua described the behaviour of the foreigners as inappropriate and not good for the image of Chiang Mai.

If only tourist would spend their nights quietly in a Chiang Mai whore bar, this would never be commented on and reputations/image would be maintained!

Come on guys it is reckless, and no amount of similar images containing Thai people make it less so

What irks is the undertone of action taken for breaking the law by 'damaging the image of Chang Mai'!!!

A little over the top and certainly trashing the once famous 'mai pen rai' Thai approach so popular with tourists

I routinely see pickup packed to the brim with migrant and local labor being hauled down highway 11.  What's the difference?
The police will have an all points bulletin out for the arrest of the foreigners.
The police will not have an all points bulletin out for the arrest of the pickup drivers dangerously hauling too many human beings in the beds of their trucks.

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

Come on guys it is reckless, and no amount of similar images containing Thai people make it less so

What irks is the undertone of action taken for breaking the law by 'damaging the image of Chang Mai'!!!

A little over the top and certainly trashing the once famous 'mai pen rai' Thai approach so popular with tourists

Yes it's reckless, obviously, but her report was not about that it was xenophobic and THAT is why we are peed orf.

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Does Ms Saepua also take a video and post it online when she sees 10-20 Thai (Myanmar) people on the back of a regular pickup, or only if they are westerners?

Well stated!!! Kudos.

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Does Ms Saepua also take a video and post it online when she sees 10-20 Thai (Myanmar) people on the back of a regular pickup, or only if they are westerners?

Why should she? These poor and very low paid workers are being transported to their workplace, whilst these drunken idoit kids do this just for fun. I'll hope they start spray painting their tags on some walls and get caught.

4 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Yes it's reckless, obviously, but her report was not about that it was xenophobic and THAT is why we are peed orf.

Your interpretation - she appears just as peed off with the driver, Thai I guess, suggesting he be reprimanded for allowing it!! as apparently did many commenting on the post

Seems like a balanced view to me - all be it as I stated, trashing the Thai 'mai pen rai' reputation enjoyed so much by tourists

1 hour ago, Mitkof Island said:

Completely normal behavior from the Khao San Road/Full Moon Party morons. Shut down Khao San Road and the Full Moon Party end of all these foreigner problems.

For many, many years Thailand has been the destination for the young on gap years or just travelling the hippy trails.  For well over thirty years to my knowledge anyway.  It is often their first experience of exploring the outside world and inevitably they do stupid things, as we all do at that age.  But they have as much right to be there as any other foreigner and are part of the patchwork that makes up the country.  Close Khao San Road?  How about closing Nana and Soi Cowboy then?  Or Chatuchak Market where they sell all those endangered species?  Or the elephant camps where they beat the "inmates" if they don't perform party tricks.

Thailand has plenty of home made atrocities including there own machete wielding students fighting in the streets on a daily basis.  Let's not pretend that Thailand suffers unduly from a few over enthusiastic young tourists on a night out.

3 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

It is often their first experience of exploring the outside world and inevitably they do stupid things, as we all do at that age.

I'm sure they don't do these things in their home country, wonder why.

12 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

I'm sure they don't do these things in their home country, wonder why.

Why would you think that?  Because they probably don't have Songthaews in their home country or because you don't think young people go out, get drunk and do stupid things in their home country?  I must come from a very different world to the one you live in.

2 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Wow scandalous, not as scandalous and dangerous as people driving scooter without a helmet tho. 

Stay at home folks if u want fun, go to Spain, Greece and co or Mexico, Turkey. 

Thailand is not a place for this. 

Yeah thailand is boring ...  worse than Singapore now. NO NO NO cant do.. the Donr country.... I did that in Philippines.  It was fun.

I see this daily with slave wage workers that stay here. No one cares about that. I see it occasionally with Thai kids, no one cares. People who are going to be here for a few days or weeks do it...makes the city look bad. 

36 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Why would you think that?  Because they probably don't have Songthaews in their home country or because you don't think young people go out, get drunk and do stupid things in their home country?  I must come from a very different world to the one you live in.

Look at any British city center on a Friday night, you'd think they'd let all the sectioned people out of the clinics for a night out.

Archived