‘Drunk’ foreign tourists filmed riding on the roof of Chiang Mai songthaew

rooster59

10 minutes ago, amykat said:

Apparently nobody can tell anybody NOT to do anything here and you might be risking your life if you do. I don’t know WHO she is but probably someone with some power or she wouldn’t even consider it, someone who lived overseas maybe also?  I would certainly appreciate it if that was my dumbass son riding on top of there ....if someone stopped him.

That is why tourists do things like this, nobody ever says no here ...most they do is say “up to you” and even fail to warn people of obvious risks ...even when you ask.  Is it safe to do xyz? Yes, of course ...mai pen rai, no problem ...you might be dead at the end of the day but that is no problem for them!!

And no problem for me.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, amykat said:

Apparently nobody can tell anybody NOT to do anything here and you might be risking your life if you do. I don’t know WHO she is but probably someone with some power or she wouldn’t even consider it, someone who lived overseas maybe also?  I would certainly appreciate it if that was my dumbass son riding on top of there ....if someone stopped him.

That is why tourists do things like this, nobody ever says no here ...most they do is say “up to you” and even fail to warn people of obvious risks ...even when you ask.  Is it safe to do xyz? Yes, of course ...mai pen rai, no problem ...you might be dead at the end of the day but that is no problem for them!!

Jeez settle down.. you sound hysterical.

4 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

How old are you? I grew up in the  70s

If only you knew what our kids got up to..

I had a ball riding on the  top of dads with my mates  car at 70 mph drinking beers but went home all innocent and charming.

Are you drunk?  Glad you survived all that and had fun. Do you do everything like it was the 1970s now?  Avoid all safety features in cars ...only drive cars from that era to be authentic and keep your risk factor going?  Avoid all medical advances since then?  Etc, etc ...keep the logic going if you can.

17 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Completely normal behavior from the Khao San Road/Full Moon Party morons. Shut down Khao San Road and the Full Moon Party end of all these foreigner problems.

Have a cocoa and relax...

Just now, Mitkof Island said:

The majority of foreigners in Thailand have no common sense . About as dumb as a brick.

Don't be so hard on yourself. I think of your reasoning as comparable to a sack of hammers. :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, Redline said:

The driver allowed it in any case.

Of course he did as they probably paid much more than 20 baht/person. (un) fortunately no accident happened, wouldn't have lost any sleep if it would've though.

not clever but 1 am is not a problem unless a dog runs across the road.the driver would not have known anyway and overcharged for the ride.what about when the school kids get out of school to.underage and no helmet/license.but that is ok in thailand

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Of course he did as they probably paid much more than 20 baht/person. (un) fortunately no accident happened, wouldn't have lost any sleep if it would've though.

Well , as stated earlier , its part of a package .

Travel to various bars  , T-shirt , bucket all for for 400 Baht .

15 hours ago, amykat said:

I know I’m lucky to be alive 

6 hours ago, Vacuum said:

I used to do that on freight trains when I was young-I’m still here

On 7/6/2019 at 12:48 AM, Mitkof Island said:

Completely normal behavior from the Khao San Road/Full Moon Party morons. Shut down Khao San Road and the Full Moon Party end of all these foreigner problems.

Chiagmai has a Khao San Road?????

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:49 PM, jackdd said:

Does Ms Saepua also take a video and post it online when she sees 10-20 Thai (Myanmar) people on the back of a regular pickup, or only if they are westerners?

I would doubt it but what you describe is not unusual and is tolerated, and is not the same situation.  If those Thais were riding on the roof of a songthaew perhaps she would.

Maybe Chiang Mais image would be even better if the mentioned vehicles did not all have black exhaust fumes ????

Do not know why she cares, normal here to have people packed everywhere on vehicles.

Archived