Is there an unlimited data plan with any Thai cell service providers?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

Anything like this if I get AIS sim now? 6mbps is a little iffy, but 10mbps is the goldilocks zone for me

Not unless the AIS call centre tells you differently. 

So your best option is My by CAT's 8 Mbps or DTAC's 10 Mbps. I'm not sure if DTAC's longer term packages are available to SIM activated after the 1st of March.

I think that cut off date for AIS and Truemove H is the 1st of February, not the 1st of March.

If you really want to go with AIS, you can go the volume data route. Instead of paying 1177 baht for their 10 Mbps package capped at 33 GB of data, you can simply buy 46 GB of full speed data by volume for the same price.

11 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Don't know a lot about this stuff but I'm always getting sms's from AIS about "unlimited data" plans?

"Unlimited" can be with 1 GB of data. After that has been used up, the connection slows down to 128 kbps for the rest of the period.

Also, it could be for SIM registered before 01/02/2019. 

@Bruce, devil in the details? What's the mbps?

I was told very emphatically today at AIS that if you do not have a work permit, then you cannot get a postpaid plan (unless a Thai person signs for you). You can only get a prepaid plan. The prepaid plans are notably worse than the postpaid plans. The promotions are all bad except for one passable one, but no 25%-50% promotions for switching from another carrier if you are a Farang. Through all of this, they kep insisting that they have very good packages fro foreigners. Postpaid is code for anti-foreign policy.

5 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

@Bruce, devil in the details? What's the mbps?

I was told very emphatically today at AIS that if you do not have a work permit, then you cannot get a postpaid plan (unless a Thai person signs for you). You can only get a prepaid plan. The prepaid plans are notably worse than the postpaid plans. The promotions are all bad except for one passable one, but no 25%-50% promotions for switching from another carrier if you are a Farang. Through all of this, they kep insisting that they have very good packages fro foreigners. Postpaid is code for anti-foreign policy.

First time you have mentioned Postpaid

Why anti-foreigner? 

What's to stop you from failing to commit to the terms of the contract? You could leave after a couple of months into a twelve month contract.

So please, don't sink to the depth of accusing someone of being anti-foreigner, simply because you cannot get what you want.

Get a trusted Thai person to sign up for you. Many long timers will have someone.

If you don't, that perhaps confirms to them that you are a transient.

No different in my country, wherein you have to pass a credit check before you are offered a Postpaid plan.

Really poor on your part.

There are good plans out there on Prepaid. Some people are just never happy.

If your AIS SIM was activated before the 1st of March, there are still unlimited data plans available to you.

1 Mbps

3 months *777*7379# 800 baht 

6 months *777*7328# 1200 baht 

12 months *777*7329# 1800 baht 

4 Mbps

3 months *777*7398# 1284 baht 

10 Mbps

3 months *777*7399# 1926 baht 

Thx. I guess this is also available for prepaid customers?

7 hours ago, CLW said:
On 7/7/2019 at 1:18 PM, JamJar said:

If your AIS SIM was activated before the 1st of March, there are still unlimited data plans available to you.

1 Mbps

3 months *777*7379# 800 baht 

6 months *777*7328# 1200 baht 

12 months *777*7329# 1800 baht 

4 Mbps

3 months *777*7398# 1284 baht 

10 Mbps

3 months *777*7399# 1926 baht 

Thx. I guess this is also available for prepaid customers?

I post only about Prepaid. Never Postpaid.

The cutoff might be for SIMs activated before the 1st of Feb 2019, as opposed to the 1st of March.

1 hour ago, OutofSiam said:

Are the DTAC "Go No Limit" plans really unlimited?

Yes. The clue is in the name.

There are also options available without needing to pay the extra for calls if your SIM was activated before the 1st of March.

From the former Net No Limit plans.

On 7/8/2019 at 1:03 PM, JamJar said:

First time you have mentioned Postpaid

Why anti-foreigner? 

What's to stop you from failing to commit to the terms of the contract? You could leave after a couple of months into a twelve month contract.

So please, don't sink to the depth of accusing someone of being anti-foreigner, simply because you cannot get what you want.

Get a trusted Thai person to sign up for you. Many long timers will have someone.

If you don't, that perhaps confirms to them that you are a transient.

No different in my country, wherein you have to pass a credit check before you are offered a Postpaid plan.

Really poor on your part.

There are good plans out there on Prepaid. Some people are just never happy.

Apologize about not mentioning postpaid. The data id unlimited, so what is the harm with that? There are 650 minutes included, so if one goes over, then it would be an issue if the person ran off. I would agree to the deal without the 650 minutes included or with no calling rights or with a cap.

8 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

Apologize about not mentioning postpaid. The data id unlimited, so what is the harm with that? There are 650 minutes included, so if one goes over, then it would be an issue if the person ran off. I would agree to the deal without the 650 minutes included or with no calling rights or with a cap.

It's the anti-foreigner nonsense that irked me. My girlfriend is a foreigner and has a Thai licence and a work permit.

So what happens to your theory then?

It's akin to agreeing a long term rent for an apartment, getting a lower price in the bargain, when you know that you are due to leave in a couple of months. 

6 to 7 one hour video calls per day sounds like commercial usage. 

If you are lucky, you might get a good signal with DTAC/LINE mobile; https://th.linemobile.com/en/packages

On 7/10/2019 at 8:32 AM, OutofSiam said:

Are the DTAC "Go No Limit" plans really unlimited?

There's an agreement level hindrance - no hotspot allowed. I got told off that I was abusing the no-hotspot after consuming 10GB during a month, when I just used chromecast to cast movies onto my TV while 3BB were rebuilding their fibre network around my moobaan

23 minutes ago, jabis said:

There's an agreement level hindrance - no hotspot allowed. I got told off that I was abusing the no-hotspot after consuming 10GB during a month, when I just used chromecast to cast movies onto my TV while 3BB were rebuilding their fibre network around my moobaan

Never heard of that happening. I used their 20 Mbps package exclusively via my MiFi. Though to be clear, I only used Net No Limit as opposed to Go No Limit.

All of the 'non-stop' plans have a Hotspot clause.  

The Company reserves the right for Hotspot internet usage or internet sharing to other devices or Hotspot sharing that could affect overall Network usage.

So they don't have a No HotSpot clause.

But it's the first time I've heard about 10 GB of usage affecting the network or any usage at all affecting the network.

How exactly did the 'telling off' occur? Did you call them or they call you?

5 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Are you confirming that you can get Postpaid without Thai licence or a work permit?

Yes, All I have is a visa waiver. Although I have had the number prepaid for many years, so I might have been grandfathered into it. 

3 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Never heard of that happening. I used their 20 Mbps package exclusively via my MiFi. Though to be clear, I only used Net No Limit as opposed to Go No Limit.

All of the 'non-stop' plans have a no Hotspot clause. But it's the first time I've heard about it being invoked for 10 GB of usage or any usage at all for that matter..

How exactly did the 'telling off' occur? Did you call them or they call you?

I received SMS's from the same number, that sent the package is now available - the first warnings were all in Thai, then last one in english - basically a cease and desist of using the bandwidth ???? Last one came the same day as 3BB had fixed the fibre, so I didn't take any action really, but stopped using it and cancelled it after getting the notification it would be renewed automatically at midnight ????

4 minutes ago, paehk said:

Yes, All I have is a visa waiver. Although I have had the number prepaid for many years, so I might have been grandfathered into it. 

Could be that they saw you had a history with them. Also it could be, as we know, you can walk to a different outlet and get a different answer.

4 minutes ago, jabis said:

I received SMS's from the same number, that sent the package is now available - the first warnings were all in Thai, then last one in english - basically a cease and desist of using the bandwidth ???? Last one came the same day as 3BB had fixed the fibre, so I didn't take any action really, but stopped using it and cancelled it after getting the notification it would be renewed automatically at midnight ????

Very odd, since they don't specifically exclude the use in their T&C.

Maybe they see it as a phone package, as opposed to the data only packages. But even so, your usage was minimal. 

6 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Very odd, since they don't specifically exclude the use in their T&C.

Maybe they see it as a phone package, as opposed to the data only packages. But even so, your usage was minimal. 

Yeah I figured it was very unusual, and actually asked about it from local friends - they said "weird - can pay less to get more from DTAC" - well now everything via the app has exclusion clauses and limitations, by either speed or data limit - best one I can see is at 33GB / 30 days at 1199thb/mo and it actually has a written clause in the order screen too. Everything over 33GB goes to ISDN speed (128kbps) and you're not to use hotspot and downloading movies or other "internet destabilizing actions" with it - lol - and the speed is limited to 10Mbps

Edit: "User for Bitorrent, hotspot, commercial purposes or any use that affect the Internet efficiency in general are prohibited"

13 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Could be that they saw you had a history with them. Also it could be, as we know, you can walk to a different outlet and get a different answer.

Im inclined to go with the latter option 555..

Just moved it to postpaid last year and have been using it as hotspot and torrents daily with 125mbps down from my condo. ^^

11 minutes ago, paehk said:

Im inclined to go with the latter option 555..

Just moved it to postpaid last year and have been using it as hotspot and torrents daily with 125mbps down from my condo. ^^

Thinking about this one - i did encrypt all the traffic via IPVanish VPN just to get better streams - that might have been a point in my case x)

33 minutes ago, jabis said:

Yeah I figured it was very unusual, and actually asked about it from local friends - they said "weird - can pay less to get more from DTAC" - well now everything via the app has exclusion clauses and limitations, by either speed or data limit - best one I can see is at 33GB / 30 days at 1199thb/mo and it actually has a written clause in the order screen too. Everything over 33GB goes to ISDN speed (128kbps) and you're not to use hotspot and downloading movies or other "internet destabilizing actions" with it - lol - and the speed is limited to 10Mbps

Edit: "User for Bitorrent, hotspot, commercial purposes or any use that affect the Internet efficiency in general are prohibited"

Actually no, if yours is an older SIM activated before the 1st of March this year, you can still avail yourself of the no data limit packages.

90 days of unlimited 10 Mbps costs 1926 baht currently.

13 hours ago, jabis said:

But it says No Limit in the name? Surely this can't be true? ????

Thanks for the info. If you can't even use 10GB in a month, that's not even close to unlimited.

I found a thai friend to help with the AIS plan. I understand the business model: reward people who commit with a postpaid account. Presumably, they are more likely to go beyond the limit and/or stay with the service longer. What gets me is that i switched from TrueCall, and the prepaid plans offered no incentive, while postpaid is 40% off or something for the switch. Not racist but unnecessarily exclusionary. Anyway, I don't like the way they kept saying that they have great packages for foreigners, while in reality the disparity of price was immense. I hate getting taken advantage but it happens with price much less often here than Vietnam, Laos, or China. Thailand rips foreigners off less than China and SE countries do. Thailand is awesome!

Archived