Is there an unlimited data plan with any Thai cell service providers?

I didn't miss that comment. I just know how VPNs work, unlike you. It is not a valid explanation on DTAC's part, and in fact it is a massive red flag for them to make a fuss about encrypted traffic.

I use a VPN daily on my AIS unlimited plan, by the way. No problems.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OutofSiam said:

I didn't miss that comment. I just know how VPNs work, unlike you. It is not a valid explanation on DTAC's part, and in fact it is a massive red flag for them to make a fuss about encrypted traffic.

I use a VPN daily on my AIS unlimited plan, by the way. No problems.

That's great. You are sorted. One might wonder why you were asking about DTAC's unlimited packs.

Notwithstanding, until I see more than just a single report on the issue, I doubt anything has changed.

It seems to me that if the user in question was streaming with ChromeCast via VPN, they might have needed to create a Virtual Router.

Perhaps not quite as simple a setup as you might use.

Anyway, as I wrote before, one swallow does not a summer make.

I post only about Prepaid. Never Postpaid.

The cutoff might be for SIMs activated before the 1st of Feb 2019, as opposed to the 1st of March.

How can I cancel all existing AIS packages before I subscribe to unlimited data plan?

Is this necessary at all? And if, is there a code for it?

Thanks

7 hours ago, JamJar said:

That's great. You are sorted. One might wonder why you were asking about DTAC's unlimited packs.

Because I want a second sim, so that I can use one in my hotspot and one in my phone. Mind-blowing, I know.

6 hours ago, OutofSiam said:

Because I want a second sim, so that I can use one in my hotspot and one in my phone. Mind-blowing, I know.

What's wrong with having two AIS unlimited packages? Why take the chance with DTAC if so concerned?

Anyway, I'll leave you to it.

9 hours ago, CLW said:

How can I cancel all existing AIS packages before I subscribe to unlimited data plan?

Is this necessary at all? And if, is there a code for it?

Thanks

The most sure method is simply to call customer service on 1175

If auto renewed packs, you can look through the App or via a browser; https://myais.ais.co.th or www.ais.co.th/myais/en/

Alternatively; https://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/service/en/change_promotion_777.html

As an aside the best option for AIS if you are looking for unlimited data and high speeds is a daily plan requiring you to key in a long string of numbers on days which you use it. It's 42 baht a day, I think. It's a good failsafe for those who rely on temperamental wifi or who need much data and hi speeds on certain days. 

57 minutes ago, ThaiRebound said:

As an aside the best option for AIS if you are looking for unlimited data and high speeds is a daily plan requiring you to key in a long string of numbers on days which you use it. It's 42 baht a day, I think. It's a good failsafe for those who rely on temperamental wifi or who need much data and hi speeds on certain days. 

How is that useful? You have not even posted the code in so that others can see what it is that you are recommending or even utilise what you are recommending.

2 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

*777*7324# 41 Baht

Does that package still work? Was priced at  39 baht + VAT(41.73 baht) last year. 

There is a current 6 Mbps day pack for 48.15 baht *777*7209# for SIM registered before the 1st of Feb.

So if the package above works for all SIMs and is still at the same price, it's a good find.

Have you tried it yourself?

I switched to AIS because I was getting 2 bars on phone with TrueCall. TrueCall said it was a tower malfunction requiring 3 months to repair (yeah, right). Now, I have AIS, the tower is nextdoor, my Iphone is new, and I have 2 bars again. It's 100 to 300 mbps advertized, I'm getting 7 up/down reliably. Meh

11 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

This was quoted to me by the rep at AIS. If it's defunct, it's unbeknownst to her, anyway

Why don't you try it and let us know what happens or do you already have a long term package?

9 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

I have the longterm package, as I stated. A friend helped with that. 100-300 mbps is upload 5-9 mbps, download is same. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Do you mean the Postpaid plan for 1099 baht?

The form is always to test what the network can offer in your particular location before committing to a contract or long term package. Usually by purchasing a prepaid SIM and buying a full speed day pack.

If I can only attain 4 Mbps on a full speed day pack, I am not going to assume that I will get 100 Mbps if I subscribe to a long term package or contract.

Not really smoke and mirrors at all. You just assumed that is the speed that you would get, without doing your due diligence.

Speeds vary according to your location.

On 7/19/2019 at 11:24 AM, JamJar said:

Do you mean the Postpaid plan for 1099 baht?

The form is always to test what the network can offer in your particular location before committing to a contract or long term package. Usually by purchasing a prepaid SIM and buying a full speed day pack.

If I can only attain 4 Mbps on a full speed day pack, I am not going to assume that I will get 100 Mbps if I subscribe to a long term package or contract.

Not really smoke and mirrors at all. You just assumed that is the speed that you would get, without doing your due diligence.

Speeds vary according to your location.

That one, 1099 postpaid. Fair point. I relied on the fact that another person in the building had 4 bars on his phone with AIS and had pointed to the tower nearby as visual proof of the network strength. Then I read that the way phones determine the bars-number isn't standardized among phone-makers

17 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

That one, 1099 postpaid. Fair point. I relied on the fact that another person in the building had 4 bars on his phone with AIS and had pointed to the tower nearby as visual proof of the network strength. Then I read that the way phones determine the bars-number isn't standardized among phone-makers

Network strength is usually good in Thailand, unless you go to remote places, that's not the problem.

The problem is that you share the capacity of your cell with all other users in your cell. So if you happen to be in a cell which can for example provide a maximum of 500mbps and 500 people use this simultaniously, this leaves every user with a maximum speed of 1mbps, even if you pay for 300mbps.

In the past i had an AIS 6mbps unlimited package. Then i moved to a new condo, and had the problem that in the evening i would maybe get 2mbps. But then i figured out that only the 4G network has too many people, because that's what every new phone uses by default. By setting my phone to use 3G instead of 4G i was able to get my 6mbps 24 hours a day. Later i switched to a True 4mbps plan, with them i got my 4mbps in 4G as well as 3G.

So at this location there were simply too many people using the AIS 4G network. Always test the available speed with a short term package at your desired location at different times of the day before committing to a long term package.

4 hours ago, jackdd said:

Network strength is usually good in Thailand, unless you go to remote places, that's not the problem.

The problem is that you share the capacity of your cell with all other users in your cell. So if you happen to be in a cell which can for example provide a maximum of 500mbps and 500 people use this simultaniously, this leaves every user with a maximum speed of 1mbps, even if you pay for 300mbps.

In the past i had an AIS 6mbps unlimited package. Then i moved to a new condo, and had the problem that in the evening i would maybe get 2mbps. But then i figured out that only the 4G network has too many people, because that's what every new phone uses by default. By setting my phone to use 3G instead of 4G i was able to get my 6mbps 24 hours a day. Later i switched to a True 4mbps plan, with them i got my 4mbps in 4G as well as 3G.

So at this location there were simply too many people using the AIS 4G network. Always test the available speed with a short term package at your desired location at different times of the day before committing to a long term package.

So, the fact that AIS is the most popular service is not a good thing. In any case, it's pretty population dense here, all with same proxim to the cell tower. I wonder if I should try 3G. It's just that this issues pales in comparison to the more existential one of how to stay in Thailand. 

• 4 months later...

I'm gonna refresh this thread a bit. 

I was an avid user of the 6 month AIS "unlimited" 6mbit/s a 1800 baht, but now it's capped at 25gb/month and then it throttles. 

I'm open to change operator. What are some current good deals? 

Looking for a 3 (or 6) month package, prepaid. Min 4mbit speed. 

11 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

I'm gonna refresh this thread a bit. 

I was an avid user of the 6 month AIS "unlimited" 6mbit/s a 1800 baht, but now it's capped at 25gb/month and then it throttles. 

I'm open to change operator. What are some current good deals? 

Looking for a 3 (or 6) month package, prepaid. Min 4mbit speed. 

They all still have unlimited 4 Mbps & 10 Mbps for 150 & 200 baht per month respectively, for new SIM.

You can port your number to a new operator to qualify or just obtain a new SIM.

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

They all still have unlimited 4 Mbps & 10 Mbps for 150 & 200 baht per month respectively, for new SIM.

You can port your number to a new operator to qualify or just obtain a new SIM.

Where did you find those unlimited package? Pre paid or post paid?

I'm long time pre paid AIS customer but what I currently only can find is the mentioned 20 GB plan for 1.400 Bath that I'm using for the next six months. Usually sufficient because it also includes AIS WiFi but still prefer unlimited.

On 7/7/2019 at 8:54 AM, luckyluke said:

I have WiFi at home, and there is WiFi in the places I patronise ( Pub-Resto). 

However I wanted to be reachable, and able to contact all the time. 

I found this for 29 Thb monthly, I subscribed Friday :

Internet 4G/3G
Unlimited Internet at speed of 64 kbps

Validity
30 Days

Subscribe Now!

So far I can read and write in "Line" and "Gmail". 

No need for more when not having WiFi. 

On 7/7/2019 at 11:22 AM, Fore Man said:

64Kbs is as good a speed as my home Internet of a quarter century ago.

7 hours ago, CLW said:

Where did you find those unlimited package? Pre paid or post paid?

I'm long time pre paid AIS customer but what I currently only can find is the mentioned 20 GB plan for 1.400 Bath that I'm using for the next six months. Usually sufficient because it also includes AIS WiFi but still prefer unlimited.

Long time AIS customer(b4 Feb 1st) should still be able to get unlimited 1, 4 & 10 Mbps unlimited, even though not advertised. For example 90 days of unlimited 10 Mbps for 1926 baht 

But best deals are for new SIM, as 200 baht per month for the same. Which is why some choose to port their number to a new SIM on a different network. For many it would be easier to just buy a new SIM for data.

I'm currently "locked" to my AIS sim as it's connected to my bank and some three social media apps. It does require some hassle to change the number on the apps and on my bank. 

My porting opportunities hence are True and Dtac. Any good deals at the moment, that you know of? ????

It's surprisingly hard to find the packages of each operator (IMHO), so I'm thankful for all the guidance. 

On 7/7/2019 at 2:18 PM, JamJar said:

If your AIS SIM was activated before the 1st of March, there are still unlimited data plans available to you.

1 Mbps

3 months *777*7379# 800 baht 

6 months *777*7328# 1200 baht 

12 months *777*7329# 1800 baht 

4 Mbps

3 months *777*7398# 1284 baht 

10 Mbps

3 months *777*7399# 1926 baht 

This post intrigued me.
I'm currently logged in to the AIS website. It says my sim is 3 years old: (Pic 1). 

However, if I click at the "apply internet package" I get these packages that are "nowadays" data capped at pretty low levels IMHO (they wasn't last year). (Pic 2) 

Do I understand correctly that there's no data cap if I have a sim that's older than 1th of march 2019 (which I believe I have) and I dial one of the packages-codes mentioned above? 

1. Top up with 1200 baht 
2. Open my phone and dial: *777*7328#   (6 months *777*7328# 1200 baht )
3. Celebrate? ????

I'm sorry if my questions are beginner level. I'm tearing my hair about this, because I want to set it up correctly when I land next month and not hassle too much with it. 

Bless this board. 

2019-12-25 22_19_49-my AIS All AIS services All yours. Here.png

2019-12-25 22_23_30-On-Top Package 3g _4g แพ็กเสริมเน็ตเลือกง่ายๆ ช่วยค้นหาแพ็กเสริมเน็ตที่ใช่สะดวก .png

5 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

This post intrigued me.
I'm currently logged in to the AIS website. It says my sim is 3 years old: (Pic 1). 

However, if I click at the "apply internet package" I get these packages that are "nowadays" data capped at pretty low levels IMHO (they wasn't last year). (Pic 2) 

Do I understand correctly that there's no data cap if I have a sim that's older than 1th of march 2019 (which I believe I have) and I dial one of the packages-codes mentioned above? 

1. Top up with 1200 baht 
2. Open my phone and dial: *777*7328#   (6 months *777*7328# 1200 baht )
3. Celebrate? ????

I'm sorry if my questions are beginner level. I'm tearing my hair about this, because I want to set it up correctly when I land next month and not hassle too much with it. 

Bless this board. 

2019-12-25 22_19_49-my AIS All AIS services All yours. Here.png

2019-12-25 22_23_30-On-Top Package 3g _4g แพ็กเสริมเน็ตเลือกง่ายๆ ช่วยค้นหาแพ็กเสริมเน็ตที่ใช่สะดวก .png

1st of Feb.

Yes to all of the other statements.

Though you should turn data off when applying the credit, as if you use even one baht before applying the code, it won't work as you'll then have 1199 baht...

But will you be happy with 1 Mbps?

1 hour ago, aldriglikvid said:

Oh, you got me there. I missed that one...

I figured it was 6mbps. 

Does it apply to the 6mbps package too? Guess not. 

Sorry for my misunderstanding. 

You have to use the codes you quoted earlier. There is no 6 Mbps package and certainly not one for 1200 baht. You most definitely quoted the 6 month 1 Mbps package. Don't over complicate things in your mind.

Can you see a 6 Mbps package in that list? What is shown is what is available; 1 4 & 10.

Archived