Why don't they kill the soi dogs?

Serious question.

Why doesn't the Thai government start a large scale culling program to exterminate soi dogs?

They are doing things like sterilizing, sheltering, and rabies vaccinations to try tackle the problem. They are also discouraging people from feeding them, something that would kill them slowly. Killing them without pain would be the most humane thing to do, in my mind. I hate seeing those poor creatures suffer.

Can anyone explain why culling is never even mentioned in news articles about feral dogs?

Just guessing here...their Buddhist religion tradition teaches respect for all living things...

Their form of Buddhism originated in India where cows are allowed to roam around roads, markets, and villages unmolested...

1 hour ago, Puchaiyank said:

Just guessing here...their Buddhist religion tradition teaches respect for all living things...

When it suits them. Most of the time they could not care less about living things.

Why don't they kill the people who abandon their dogs? That would solve the problem.

Far too many families buy a cute puppy, don't train it, then abandon it when it's no longer cute or starts behaving badly.

2 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

That's quite apparent in the way they abandon dogs to the temple when they are no longer na rak, that's why there are 10,000,000 guns on the street,,,,I won't even go into road carnage.

20 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

That's quite apparent in the way they abandon dogs to the temple when they are no longer na rak, that's why there are 10,000,000 guns on the street,,,,I won't even go into road carnage.

This same disparity between religious teachings and actual practice is common to most religions...

5 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I rescued a soi dog from a wat where the monks were poisoning soi dogs. Turned out to be a nice dog too.   

And for that you are a great person! But we are still not near an answer to the original question, except that it has something to do with Buddhism.

Euthanasia can be thought of as an advantage that animals have over humans. You cannot simply put down a human being which is suffering. But you can do that to a dog because it doesn't have the will to live a long life, it doesn't have plans that can be taken away from it. It doesn't even know the concept of the future, it only knows the present. If the present is pain and suffering, the dog is better of dead.

Please don't call me cruel, because I'm quite the opposite. I think if they cannot be taken care of properly, they should be killed. I would do that to my own cat if she got too sick.

20 minutes ago, Nordude said:

a dog ... doesn't even know the concept of the future

Absolute tommyrot.

Dogs undoubtedly have an understanding of the future.  My dogs know when they're going to be fed and when they're going to go walkies.  They get excited and gather ready for those thrilling events.

And as for the euthanasia twaddle, human beings can choose to die, and if someone else makes that decision for them, it's murder.  Dogs can't choose to die, and if someone else makes that decision for them, it's murder.

7 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Absolute tommyrot.

Dogs undoubtedly have an understanding of the future.

OK, let me change my argument.

If your dog got terminal cancer and was obviously in a lot of pain, wouldn't you put it down instead of letting it suffer?

Isn't it the same with the soi dogs? Helping all of them isn't feasible, they are just left to suffer.

4 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

Utterly disgusting. When will you understand that Cats are immensely superior to dogs, just as Thai ladies are equally immensely superior to Thai men.

My cat is not very good at scaring away burglars.  The dog on the other hand scares away everyone.  She also only eats food I give her (training).  She might eat a foot or leg of a person hanging it over the wall - haven't tried that.  The Bangkaew across the soi got a person who was attempting a robbery's shoe.  The guy put one foot over the gate and the dog bit down hard.  May have saved the robbers life as the guy who owns the house is an armed guard of a Thai VIP and has a number of legal weapons in the home.  

My dog and I have a symbiotic relationship.  I provide food and shelter and she provides guard services same is her ancestors did for the cavemen.  

My pet tokays eat bugs and termites and small mice.  The skinks and gekos do too.  I protect them all.  It's like my own little zoo.  I like animals who work for a living.  The cat is lazy and doesn't chase rats. The dog chases rats.  Wasn't that a sport in the UK?

5 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Agree with you 100%.  As for "Buddhist religion tradition teaches respect for all living things"  That may be true elsewhere, but in support of your comment regarding guns on the street,  in Thailand it appears the only thing it teaches is utter hypocrisy

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

My cat is not very good at scaring away burglars.  The dog on the other hand scares away everyone.  She also only eats food I give her (training).  She might eat a foot or leg of a person hanging it over the wall - haven't tried that.  The Bangkaew across the soi got a person who was attempting a robbery's shoe.  The guy put one foot over the gate and the dog bit down hard.  May have saved the robbers life as the guy who owns the house is an armed guard of a Thai VIP and has a number of legal weapons in the home.  

My dog and I have a symbiotic relationship.  I provide food and shelter and she provides guard services same is her ancestors did for the cavemen.  

My pet tokays eat bugs and termites and small mice.  The skinks and gekos do too.  I protect them all.  It's like my own little zoo.  I like animals who work for a living.  The cat is lazy and doesn't chase rats. The dog chases rats.  Wasn't that a sport in the UK?

This thread's  topic is "Soi dogs", not your nice and well trained pet.

I am victim of constant attacks from stray dogs, sometimes even feral mutts, while making my bicycle rides. This happens once or twice a week, so a conservative estimate of 300 attacks from dogs during the last 4 years, while the endangerment from stray cats remain at zero, precisely. Hence, for everyone with a bit of common sense, the elimination of these dangerous pests should be a priority. Feel free to contribute by adopting a few of them, but keep them on a chain or well fenced in.

On 7/6/2019 at 10:53 PM, Nordude said:

Serious question.

Why doesn't the Thai government start a large scale culling program to exterminate soi dogs?

They are doing things like sterilizing, sheltering, and rabies vaccinations to try tackle the problem. They are also discouraging people from feeding them, something that would kill them slowly. Killing them without pain would be the most humane thing to do, in my mind. I hate seeing those poor creatures suffer.

Can anyone explain why culling is never even mentioned in news articles about feral dogs?

better still cull the owners?

On 7/7/2019 at 3:21 PM, KiChakayan said:

I am victim of constant attacks from stray dogs, sometimes even feral mutts, while making my bicycle rides. This happens once or twice a week, so a conservative estimate of 300 attacks from dogs during the last 4 years, while the endangerment from stray cats remain at zero, precisely. Hence, for everyone with a bit of common sense, the elimination of these dangerous pests should be a priority. Feel free to contribute by adopting a few of them, but keep them on a chain or well fenced in.

I adopted mine - found her in a muddy ditch when a pup.  Fed her Royal Canin and she got real big.  Stays in our fenced compound but for the 2 times a day I walk her.  I used to ride a bike as per my doctors instructions till I fell down.  Now I walk to the mall and at home ride the desk thing below.  

bike.jpg

Just came back from Vietnam. Did not see one dog the entire trip (maybe they were all in my spring rolls). Also only saw three flies as opposed to being swarmed here daily. IDK if its connected but if it is I say butcher'em.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2019 at 1:43 PM, Nordude said:

OK, let me change my argument.

If your dog got terminal cancer and was obviously in a lot of pain, wouldn't you put it down instead of letting it suffer?

Isn't it the same with the soi dogs? Helping all of them isn't feasible, they are just left to suffer.

In many cases, the dogs are not suffering. It's the humans who want them out of sight and out of mind... and without feeling guilt.

Like stray dogs, rats and all successful creatures, other species suffer from their success. Well, humans are the most-destructive species to have ever been on the planet, at the expense of all others.

We had a family dog put down this week. I agree with the concept.

But to murder/euthanise/cull dozens or hundreds of healthy mammals just because it makes our lives a bit safer and more convenient isn't going to happen here in Thailand any time soon.

On 7/7/2019 at 3:21 PM, KiChakayan said:

May I ask what gives you more of a right to cycle through their 'home territory' than their right to simply survive in it? 300 'attacks' sounds like a lot. And you still haven't learned your lesson to either 'ride elsewhere' or 'learn what the dogs don't like and stop doing it.'

Like sharks, stray dogs almost never 'attack' a human for no reason. If you're cycling or jogging past them, they're likely to chase you. You speed up, they feel that they're winning and they chase more and louder and their friends join. It's very much like a gang of Somchais. They join the winning team in vocal dirty numbers.

It may sounds tedious (or even scary) at first, but I challenge you to get off your bike, stare the lead dog in the eyes, and stand your ground. 99.9% that dog will back down, and remember for next time.

But to murder/euthanise/cull dozens or hundreds of healthy mammals just because it makes our lives a bit safer and more convenient isn't going to happen here in Thailand any time soon.

10 minutes ago, 2long said:

In many cases, the dogs are not suffering. It's the humans who want them out of sight and out of mind... and without feeling guilt.

Like stray dogs, rats and all successful creatures, other species suffer from their success. Well, humans are the most-destructive species to have ever been on the planet, at the expense of all others.

We had a family dog put down this week. I agree with the concept.

But to murder/euthanise/cull dozens or hundreds of healthy mammals just because it makes our lives a bit safer and more convenient isn't going to happen here in Thailand any time soon.

That makes NO sense whatsoever . Have you ever met a vegetarian Thai ? No there arent any . They slaughter pigs and other animals by the millions every day . !

Archived